Aspects You Wish Were Expanded Upon

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Aspects You Wish Were Expanded Upon

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:23 am

I feel like we've had this thread before, but we've pretty much had every thread before, so what the Hell.

We all know the sort of author Toriyama-sensei was. Dragonball is pretty clear-cut, and more often than not the explanation behind why things happen is very simplistic, and we as the audience are expected to just sit back, enjoy it, and perhaps speculate on our own without asking too many questions. The type of series that DB is, this works, but there are still a lot of elements that were introduced that many fans wish there was some more info given on - blatantly obvious, of course, to anyone who ventures into the realm of fanfiction.

So what aspects of the series - Anime-only stuff is fine too - do you wish were expanded upon? Elements you thought were really cool, but seemed to just get pushed aside as a footnote to make way for the next big thing?

For instance, one thing I've always wished we got more background on is Dabra and this supposed Demon World he rules. Well, we know a lot about the afterlife of the DB-verse...we've seen the Heavens, and we've seen (albeit Anime-only) Hell. But Hell doesn't seem to be the same as this supposed Demon World, even though Dabra is very characteristically 'devil'-esque. In fact, there were quite a few 'demon' characters introduced throughout the series, even including Piccolo and his brethren before they were retconned to be aliens instead. So where exactly in the DBverse do these demons come from? Baba's fighters come to mind, as well. I've always wondered if there was perhaps a connection between all these characters and their place of origin. I think it'd have been really interesting to get some more info on this for a change, instead of more 'aliens from outer space' elements. Though can we even say for sure the 'Demon World' isn't an actual world, a planet somewhere in space, that Dabra rules? In which case, then he's just another alien that Babidi found and asserted control over, and just adds to the series' collection of odd aliens. But I always felt as though he wasn't some sort of alien, but instead that his Demon World was more specifically related to the DB afterlife (as much of the Buu arc is already).

The thing is, there is so much we can speculate on this, because we're never given any hard info on it. Dabra is basically there as a plot device, and his story is insignificant to the Majin Buu plot. The whole 'oh noes, he's the ruler of the DEMON WORLD!! Dun dun duuuuuuuuuuun!!' is really just a tagline to showcase him as 'a super strong guy', to in turn show how strong Babidi's mind control powers are, for him to be able to enslave such a being. I always thought that was a shame, because Dabra was a really interesting design I would have liked to learn more about.

So there's one of mine. How about you guys?
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Aspects You Wish Were Expanded Upon

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:43 am

We actually get a fairly decent amount of info on the Demon World thanks to the guidebooks, especially considering it's a place we never get to see in the series (unless the place Gohan and Dabra were fighting was part of it).

Basically, Toriyama explains in the Super Exciting Guides and elsewhere that the DB world consists of a giant ball: the top half is the afterlife, and the bottom half is the living world (meanwhile, the Kaioshin Realm is a completely separate, smaller ball, which rotates around the bigger one like a moon). The living world is itself split between the universe where Goku and co. live, which is the top half, and the Demon Realm, which is the bottom half. The Demon Realm is ruled more by magic than science, and not even the eyes of the gods can reach there. Instead, the Demon Realm has its own gods, the Makaio(s) and Makaioshin(s), demonic equivalents to the Kaios and Kaioshins. The villian Towa from DragonBall Online is speculated to be a Makaioshin, since she looks somewhat like an evil version of a Kaioshin and even has what looks like a pair of Potara ear rings. Just as the universe is divided up into north, south, east, and west, the Demon World is also split up into different areas, but Dabra was ruler of them all. Was he a Makaio/shin? We don't know, but Toriyama doesn't mention Dabra at all when explaining about the Makaio/shin(s), which you'd think he would were Dabra one of them.

The Demon World is seperate from Hell, which is part of the afterlife, while the Demon World is part of the living world (the DB filler with Shura seems to imply the Demon Realm is part of the afterlife, probably because it was made years before Dabra's Demon Realm was introduced). When people in the Demon Realm die, they go to the afterlife to be judged by Enma, just like regular people. We see this in the series with Dabra. Hell is actually where Akkuman (Devilman) comes from. He's a member of a race of devils that reside in Hell, along with other demonic races. Akkuman does actually refer to Hell as his homeland in the series, but Daizenshuu 7 gives the full explanation. Another devil is Akkuman's older sister Majon, mentioned in the DB Adventure Special and Dizenshuu 7. So Akkuman's a diferent sort of being than Demon Realm inhabitants like Dabra (or Shura in the DB filler). However, Hell is apparently quite similar to the Demon Realm, since Enma sends Dabra to Heaven on the theory that he'd be happy in Hell.

Meanwhile, the guidebooks explain that Piccolo Daimao and his spawn aren't simply demons retconned into aliens, but demons and aliens at the same time. Specifically, they're members of the Demon Clan, which is said to be a mutation of regular Namekians caused by the influence of evil.

There’s some more information in my Demon Guide and Guide to the DB Galaxy.

Uh, so anyway, things I wish were expanded upon...I always wished that we'd get a creation story for the DB world as a whole. Or an explanation of what DB Earth's "Age" calendar system is based on. Who or what are they commemorating?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:16 pm

I just wanna see more kid Gohan and Goten doing fun things. Which ... doesn't really count, but... XD

Some information on previous Kamis of Earth wouldn't hurt, I suppose.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:58 am

So, during his fight against Freeza on Namek, Goku contacts Kaio and has him check to see if Kami is alive on Earth. The three then form an elaborate plan to use the Earth Dragon Balls to revive the Grand Elder, and luckily Mr. Popo has just finished gathering all seven balls.

Mr. Popo has just finished gathering all seven balls.

Mr. Popo gathered Dragon Balls.

Seven of them.

In a day.

While the anime was using Bulma getting body-snatched and Yamcha fighting the Ginyu Squad for filler.

What the hell, Toei?

As for elements not related to a specific event, Freeza's organization was rather poorly defined. What role did King Cold play? What happened to his vast empire after his death? You'd think that everyone would be rushing in to fill the void, or it would have some large repercussions at least. The anime did add a bit of aftermath material in the Garlic Jr. arc, but nothing substantial. I also think it's a real shame that GT never touched on it, what with the one who defeated Freeza going into space again.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:50 am

I wish Freeza's background was elaborated on. What race he belongs to, how old he is, where his family came from, etc.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:24 am

I would have liked to have seen more effort to make the different arcs seem less unrelated to one another.
Buu saga in particular.
I've got my own ridiculous fan idea, but it doesn't accomplish much of anything outside of myfanfiction, so nya. ^^
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:37 am

Zephyr, you mean Dragon Ball: Episode 1 The phantom menace of Freeza? It would be great!
The movie about Goku's father is the best of all, and it's really sad that the whole background wasn't shown. I understand that we see the world from perspective of privet, who don't care, and can't know much about politics- so maybe:
"Before Goku was King Vegeta". It could be connected with showing the background of Freezer and his business.
Show him, and history of the Saiyan race, one CLEAR version of the war of planet Vegeta (everything what was shown about it are in fact rumours, and most of them are said by creatures who seem not to know what happened). Show their culture, the way they meet Freeza.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:36 pm

Cipher wrote:So, during his fight against Freeza on Namek, Goku contacts Kaio and has him check to see if Kami is alive on Earth. The three then form an elaborate plan to use the Earth Dragon Balls to revive the Grand Elder, and luckily Mr. Popo has just finished gathering all seven balls.

Seven of them.

In a day.

While the anime was using Bulma getting body-snatched and Yamcha fighting the Ginyu Squad for filler.

What the hell, Toei?
He probably just used some sort of divine Dragon Radar and his teleporting magic carpet!
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:06 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Cipher wrote:So, during his fight against Freeza on Namek, Goku contacts Kaio and has him check to see if Kami is alive on Earth. The three then form an elaborate plan to use the Earth Dragon Balls to revive the Grand Elder, and luckily Mr. Popo has just finished gathering all seven balls.

Seven of them.

In a day.

What the hell, Toei?
He probably just used some sort of divine Dragon Radar and his teleporting magic carpet!
So, maybe a year or two from now, we'll see what Team Fourstar has to say about this. XD

Keamy

Post by Keamy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Eire wrote:Zephyr, you mean Dragon Ball: Episode 1 The phantom menace of Freeza? It would be great!
The movie about Goku's father is the best of all, and it's really sad that the whole background wasn't shown. I understand that we see the world from perspective of privet, who don't care, and can't know much about politics- so maybe:
"Before Goku was King Vegeta". It could be connected with showing the background of Freezer and his business.
Show him, and history of the Saiyan race, one CLEAR version of the war of planet Vegeta (everything what was shown about it are in fact rumours, and most of them are said by creatures who seem not to know what happened). Show their culture, the way they meet Freeza.

I would really dig to know more about Bardock/King Vegeta and the Saiyans in general during and before Freeza's reign too.
Also wanna know more about female Saiyans and more about several diff. of the Alien races. Anddd it would have been cool to know more about character's parents, even if it ain't viewed as 'important' .
Late last night and the night before
Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers,
knocking at the door.
I want to go out, don't know if I can,
'cause I'm so afraid
of the Tommyknocker man.
My name is Zep, as in Hindle. If you call me Keamy instead, it's Kay-mee, not Kee-mee, there is a difference. And dammit Serp, my name is not spelled "Kreamy".

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:41 pm

I think elaborating on things like King Cold, Bardock and such ruins the mystique. It just leaves so much open to discuss for what if stories. It is a grand universe after all. That's my take on it at least.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Keamy

Post by Keamy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:04 pm

That's true...but it wouldn't hurt just to know a few extra facts here 'n there.
Late last night and the night before
Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers,
knocking at the door.
I want to go out, don't know if I can,
'cause I'm so afraid
of the Tommyknocker man.
My name is Zep, as in Hindle. If you call me Keamy instead, it's Kay-mee, not Kee-mee, there is a difference. And dammit Serp, my name is not spelled "Kreamy".

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Cipher wrote:Mr. Popo has just finished gathering all seven balls.

Seven of them.

In a day.

What the hell, Toei?
Oh God, this. I had completely forgotten that even happened because it's such a passing mention with more pressing issues going on at the time. That would have made for some really awesome filler and given a fairly background character, albeit one who we know to be quite strong, a chance to shine.

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:14 am

Keamy wrote:
Eire wrote:Zephyr, you mean Dragon Ball: Episode 1 The phantom menace of Freeza? It would be great!

I would really dig to know more about Bardock/King Vegeta and the Saiyans in general during and before Freeza's reign too.
Also wanna know more about female Saiyans and more about several diff. of the Alien races. Anddd it would have been cool to know more about character's parents, even if it ain't viewed as 'important' .
And once forever cut rumors that baby Sayians were found on the fields of cabbage. :D
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:50 am

I know I said it before in a different thread some time ago, but Gohan and Videl's wedding day. It had potential to become a fantastic filler episode near the end of the series. I imagine lots of humorous antics from Mark, Chi-Chi, Buu, Goku...etc.

All we got was the wedding photo. While nice, I would've liked to have seen how the day itself went.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:38 pm

I don't know if it falls under the same umbrella of 'expanding on' anything, but I always thought it would have made for some awesome filler to see more episodes like Gokou and Piccolo learning to drive. That's just such a great episode, and I always had a thing for those moments of 'what the heroes of the universe do on their days off'. Sure, Dragonball is a great series and has such a lasting iconic presence to us all because it's so dynamic and action-driven, but come on...who wouldn't love to see more of those silly adventures? They're amazing because they're still our heroes, they're still in character, but they're usually just so vastly incompetent when it comes to real world stuff, that you can't help but love it.

--'Big Green' Yajirobe

FormallyKnownAsPrince

Post by FormallyKnownAsPrince » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Perhaps I'm the only one who cares, but I would like to know how in the world Vegeta and Bulma ended up in bed together... I know there's really no place for romance in Dragon Ball, but... it just seems so out of left field and yet so perfect at the same time. Did anyone else's jaw drop when they heard Trunks tell Goku who his parents were? :lol:

hui43210
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hui43210 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:13 pm

Keamy wrote:

I too would like to see this, pherhaps seeing more of Radditz, and, maybe the holy grail of db speculation, Goku's mother!

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:15 pm

More of Raditz and more of Uub. Less of Goku and more of piccolo, vegeta and the earthlings.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:23 am

FormallyKnownAsPrince wrote:Perhaps I'm the only one who cares, but I would like to know how in the world Vegeta and Bulma ended up in bed together... I know there's really no place for romance in Dragon Ball, but... it just seems so out of left field and yet so perfect at the same time. Did anyone else's jaw drop when they heard Trunks tell Goku who his parents were? :lol:
Bulma was horny, Vegeta was horny, they fucked. That's it, there's no romance to be had.

I would like to see more about the galaxy beyond Earth. Like, what happens when everybody wakes up to find Freeza's dead and his hierarchy gutted?