Uub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Uub

Post by songohan619 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi, DaizEx Forums!!!
I really want to talk about my favorite Character:
Kid Uub from the end of Dragonball Z, not the one from GT.

Now, i first saw Uub by coincidence in Goku`s storymode in Budokai 3.
I thought he looked cool, and when i unlocked him, i played his storymode again and again. At the same time, the Norwegian version of the Manga was at the end of the Buu saga, and when i saw the last pages of the 42th book, i was really happy.

Then, GT came, and ruined Uub. Sure, he was kind of strong, and he had a cool character design(Both Uub and Majuub), but before he became Majuub, he felt like a weakling compared to the others. Heck, he looked weaker then Uub from the end of Z.

I also feel that the Cool Uub from the end of Z has been overshaddowed by the sudden ending of Z, and the weak version of Uub in GT.

So, what do you guys think?
Discuss:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Uub

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Uub is the future of Dragon world and yet his role was so minor it's really too bad DB had to end there, but then again if it continued it probably woudn't be as much about Goku anymore, but it would center on Uub, so if you don't like GT it's refreshing to know, that Uub was the guy the main character himself wanted as his succesor.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:54 pm

I don't like him. I think he was a generic Gohan clone that was suddenly chosen to be Goku's successor (now where have we heard that before?) at the end of the series and then shat on like the rest of the characters in GT. All in all, a cliched "next generation, even Goten & Trunks were supposed to be" also-ran.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:03 pm

songohan619 wrote:Then, GT came, and ruined Uub. Sure, he was kind of strong, and he had a cool character design(Both Uub and Majuub), but before he became Majuub, he felt like a weakling compared to the others. Heck, he looked weaker then Uub from the end of Z.

I also feel that the Cool Uub from the end of Z has been overshaddowed by the sudden ending of Z, and the weak version of Uub in GT.
What in the world are you talking about? Toga-wearing, barefoot Uub goes from getting pushed around by base-form Goku, to actually accomplishing something worth a damn 10+ years later. Nothing about him seemed weaker, and as the first episode of GT shows us--he became much, much stronger. What was there to "ruin" for Uub, anyway? What were his personality traits in Z? Let's see...
  • Timid.
  • Angry.
There wasn't much to ruin. :roll:

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:20 pm

I want a spinoff filler series about him now.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:27 pm

I can see him turning into another Gohan, except both of them were crap in GT [although I love GT] If you weren't Goku in GT, you were a nobody.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:48 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I think he was a generic Gohan clone that was suddenly chosen to be Goku's successor (now where have we heard that before?) at the end of the series and then shat on like the rest of the characters in GT.
LeprikanGT wrote:If you weren't Goku in GT, you were a nobody.
That about sums it up. He's introduced at the last minute. He's supposed to be a reincarnation of Buu in terms of power, but that doesn't count as having a real backstory. He doesn't have time to do much of anything at the tail end of Z, and even though he was trained to be Goku's successor, GT was redundantly centered on Goku. We can't relate to Uub much, and he's reduced to a side character like everyone else.
I can see their parachutes.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:02 pm

Savage68 wrote:
songohan619 wrote:Then, GT came, and ruined Uub. Sure, he was kind of strong, and he had a cool character design(Both Uub and Majuub), but before he became Majuub, he felt like a weakling compared to the others. Heck, he looked weaker then Uub from the end of Z.

What in the world are you talking about? Toga-wearing, barefoot Uub goes from getting pushed around by base-form Goku, to actually accomplishing something worth a damn 10+ years later. Nothing about him seemed weaker, and as the first episode of GT shows us--he became much, much stronger. What was there to "ruin" for Uub, anyway? What were his personality traits in Z? Let's see...
I mean that when Uub fought Goku in DBZ, Uub could almost beat Base Form Goku.
In the beginning of GT, Uub still couldnt beat Base Goku.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:09 pm

I like Uub. Though it makes me wonder why King Yemma didn't just make Kid Buu a soul with no body instead of reincarnating him as Uub upon Goku's request.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:18 pm

If we ever get another special or movie, it needs to be post Jump special/Pre GT so we can see Uub in action.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:29 pm

songohan619 wrote:I mean that when Uub fought Goku in DBZ, Uub could almost beat Base Form Goku.
Uub wasn't winning against Goku in Z. He managed to inflict some surface damage that didn't break any bones, draw any blood, or whatever. However, in GT, Uub and Goku both fainted after a sparring session. So, yeah. Uub performed against Goku better as a teenager than he did as a child.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:36 pm

Savage68 wrote:
songohan619 wrote:I mean that when Uub fought Goku in DBZ, Uub could almost beat Base Form Goku.
Uub wasn't winning against Goku in Z. He managed to inflict some surface damage that didn't break any bones, draw any blood, or whatever. However, in GT, Uub and Goku both fainted after a sparring session. So, yeah. Uub performed against Goku better as a teenager than he did as a child.
yes, he did get stronger, of course, but he hasnt become much better.

DBZMan-18

Post by DBZMan-18 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:00 pm

Sorry to burst your Uub bubble but Uub did nothing of any importance and the only cool thing about him was that he was the reincarnaton of Buu which was ruined by the fact that he attribute anything to Z or GT.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:05 pm

I'd agree that he's a character with a lot of wasted potential. In face, his lack of screeentime is one of my least favourite things about GT.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:12 pm

I quite dislike Oob. He's introduced at the last minute with no back story what so ever and we're supposed to accept him as Goku's successor!?

I mean screw Gohan or Goten, this is who Goku trains and wants to fight/succeed him? Hell even Vegeta could have filled Goku's fight fetish. It's quite hard to like a character who is supposed to be Goku's successor but has almost no qualities or background behind him.

If you include GT he's even worse. He was set up and had infinite potential but did almost nothing.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:55 pm

I still think Goku should have passed the title down to Gohan in the end and not Uub, but ultimately (if you count GT) Vegeta get's the title of guardian of Earth so meh.

I don't like Uub though :/
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:04 am

Great idea. We are seriously lacking character discussions. Exactly now that the show is running again. :)

@Bulma.nl

Uub!!!

- The first kid Goku was ever mean to. *pounds Goku*
- The one that gave Goku a reason to abandon his family and friends. Wow, that's something.
- The powerful one.
- Uub is Buu spelled backwards. How's that for Lostigating. :mrgreen:
- First black character, cause apparently Piccolo & Popo don't count.
- The one with the nobel cause. :D

I like Uub. He gave Goku some bad rep and made him run for his money. He didn't come to the tournament just to fight for fun. He entered for his people!!!
Although I didn't really follow him in GT, I'm sure he did just fine. Give it up for Uub!!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:19 am

Ahiru77 wrote:Great idea. We are seriously lacking character discussions. Exactly now that the show is running again. :)

*snip*

Uub!!!

- The first kid Goku was ever mean to. *pounds Goku*
- The one that gave Goku a reason to abandon his family and friends. Wow, that's something.
- The powerful one.
- Uub is Buu spelled backwards. How's that for Lostigating. :mrgreen:
- First black character, cause apparently Piccolo & Popo don't count.
- The one with the nobel cause. :D

I like Uub. He gave Goku some bad rep and made him run for his money. He didn't come to the tournament just to fight for fun. He entered for his people!!!
Although I didn't really follow him in GT, I'm sure he did just fine. Give it up for Uub!!
I really hope you're being sarcastic. And FYI, Piccolo is the only true black character in Dragon Ball. Haven't you watched WeeklyTubeShow? :lol:
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:44 pm

DBZMan-18 wrote:Sorry to burst your Uub bubble but Uub did nothing of any importance and the only cool thing about him was that he was the reincarnaton of Buu which was ruined by the fact that he attribute anything to Z or GT.
Well, even so, he looked like he could have turned into a cool character.

i also wished that in GT, Uub would become Goku`s sidekick.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:45 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:I'd agree that he's a character with a lot of wasted potential. In face, his lack of screeentime is one of my least favourite things about GT.
Agreed.