Kai Episode 77 (17th October 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 77 (17th October 2010)

Post by RazorX » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:00 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 77. Aired 17th October 2010.

超サイヤ人を超えた!不敵なべジータ、セルを討つ
Sūpā Saiyajin o Koeta! Futeki na Bejīta, Seru o Utsu
Super Saiyan Surpassed! The Daring Vegeta Strikes Cell

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Kai Episode 77 (17th October 2010)

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:33 pm

This week on Dragon Ball Kai...!! Super Vegeta is born, and Second Form Cell meets his match!! This episode kept cutting back and forth between episodes. >_< Luckily they finished up all of #156 in this episode which is nice consider how it looks really bad, typically speaking. Also, a lot of new background music was used in the second half of the episode. Yet again, though, it's pretty generic. Dragon Ball Kai's score feels like a generic Hollywood film score. >_<

Dragon Ball covered: begins 5 and a half pages into #376, ends with #378
Dragon Ball Z covered: begins 14.5 minutes into #154, ends

Next week...Cell starts screaming like a baby while Kuririn decides he ain't gonna turn #18 off.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:01 am

Wow I hated that track they played while Goku was talking to Gohan in the RoSAT about becoming a Super Saiyan. It sounded like generic Disney film music (I am not bashing Disney I love their older films).

The track that plays at the end of the episode when Cell is fighting Vegeta was kind of cool. I loved it and hated it at the same time. It felt generic but at the same time it felt kind of epic and made me want to see the Super Vegeta vs. Cell fight.

Overall, though I am pumped for the next episode. I really should get around to finishing up Dragon Box 4.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:46 am

The ending of the episode is drawn terribly.

The first new track sounds exactly like a Resident Evil track meant to make you feel uncomfortable and slightly scared, which fits with Gohan's discovery of the infinite white space of the room.

The second new track sounds like a Final Fantasy / Kingdom Hearts ending credit track or "hopeful, encouraging speech" scenes of these games. It might be used for the last "present" scene of the Cell era, when everybody says goodbye to Trunks, as it is the most "happy ending" track Dragon Ball Kai ever had, hard to find a track which means "everything will be alright" more than that.

To me, both these tracks are a welcome addition to the soundtrack, keeping with the usual quality of Kai, which has music illustrating much more the emotions characters feel, which is essentially what every soundtrack should do. It's here to underline what's going on emotionnaly, and therefore be sad if it's sad, be like "everything will be alright" if the character says "it will be okay, you can do it", feel like a tragic destiny if the pictures show a tragic destiny, etc...

This is what makes me feel no emotion when watching Dragon Ball Z, but every emotion when watching Dragon Ball Kai. In Kai, the music completes its mission: it's here to make you realise "in case you don't get it, this is the emotion implied, and if you already feel the emotion, then the music will multiply it by going in the exact same direction". The only thing missing is some specific final battle tracks, which would basically say "this is the final battle of this era that will decide the fate of the whole world, not just any battle", cause unfortunately, much like what they did with Freezer, they'll probably use the usual tracks for Gohan VS Cell, even in the last moments.

Too bad that the music for Dragon Ball Z is actually better than the one for Kai (though this is not my personal opinion, just a fact). This leads to a lack of support by fans, which makes it hard to listen to OSTs (not even Youtube videos showcasing the characters' main themes, isn't that a bad sign) and makes me scared for any upcoming series after Kai or new movies...

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:30 am

Cold Skin wrote: Too bad that the music for Dragon Ball Z is actually better than the one for Kai (though this is not my personal opinion, just a fact).
No, that is entirely your personal opinion.
I am enjoying the music in Kai just as much as I did the old 'Z' music.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:55 am

I thought the music was nice....not thrilling, but nice.

I really, really, REALLY hope they show the ROSAT-scene in the next episode. While it's still possible. Image

I don't know if it was in the manga.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:19 pm

Vegeta starts with a left punch and after the intermission (i.e. eyecatch-thingy) it is suddenly his right fist in Cell's stomach. The close up thereafter it's his left fist again and immediately thereafter it's his right one. Bad teamwork of the animatoin staff.
PuppetDoctor wrote:Wow I hated that track they played while Goku was talking to Gohan in the RoSAT about becoming a Super Saiyan. It sounded like generic Disney film music (I am not bashing Disney I love their older films).
I think it was just misplaced this first time. We'll see what they'll do to it in the future.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:01 pm

which DBZ music are you guys comparing it too, the real score or the dubtrack?

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Son Wukong wrote:Vegeta starts with a left punch and after the intermission (i.e. eyecatch-thingy) it is suddenly his right fist in Cell's stomach. The close up thereafter it's his left fist again and immediately thereafter it's his right one. Bad teamwork of the animatoin staff.
Vegeta is just alternating his fist so fast you can't see. :D

'Ore wa Super Vegeta da', indeed.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:49 pm

^
You mean Suupaa Bejiita da !! 8)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Here's the NEP for #78. Even though Wakamoto didn't have a lot of time to say it he was manage to do some sharp "Chikushô!!" yells so I'm feeling better about what he'll do next week for when Cell starts whining like a baby.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:27 pm

I kind of liked the track that played when Goku was talking to Gohan in the Room of Spirit in Time. It shows that Yamamoto is making some kind of progression. The rest of the soundtrack in the episode was so bland and subdued, that one track stood out.

I hope they keep in Gohan's first Super Saiyan transformation.

I'm guessing they'll be cutting down on Kuririn's agonizing over whether to press the button or not next week.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:25 pm

Coola Yagami wrote:which DBZ music are you guys comparing it too, the real score or the dubtrack?
Real one.

Spazicon

Post by Spazicon » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:07 pm

The music did not bother me. I didn't really notice it to begin, with.

The animation, just as I remember it, was splendid, right until the second half/eye-catch. I really despise the the weakest animation team. Sometimes it really takes me out of it. Especially when it's directly following the "top" team, in the very same episode. Ugh.

Still, definitely one of my favorite episodes. I love Vegeta, and his arrogance. The remark about him guessing he made too wide of a gape in their battle power, as if it wasn't his intention, was, and still is one of the higher points of the saga, IMO.
- Yo.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:37 am

Is it me or did I see Gohan go SSJ in the Next episode preview?
It's too early for that to be happening.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:00 am

andrewtuell1991 wrote:Is it me or did I see Gohan go SSJ in the Next episode preview?
Not really..... if you see the Manga, you'll that it's the perfect time to make him an SS-j.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:06 am

andrewtuell1991 wrote:Is it me or did I see Gohan go SSJ in the Next episode preview?
It's Kai, they are going with the Manga flow.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:51 am

JulieYBM wrote:Here's the NEP for #78. Even though Wakamoto didn't have a lot of time to say it he was manage to do some sharp "Chikushô!!" yells so I'm feeling better about what he'll do next week for when Cell starts whining like a baby.
Now that's more like it, keep that up for Perfect Cell Wakamoto!

As for the ep, hmm, that new track with Goku and Gohan, while nice, kinda clashed with the scene slightly to me. That's ok, as Yamamoto's score for Kai has been perfectly suiting for the series so far. Plus the DBZ score had it's moments of pieces not always working, though the other new piece at the end with "super" Vegeta was interesting.

Also, yay, Vegeta beating the shit out of Cell is now no longer one of the most boring moments thanks to Kai! :D

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:52 am

MR.Mark wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Here's the NEP for #78. Even though Wakamoto didn't have a lot of time to say it he was manage to do some sharp "Chikushô!!" yells so I'm feeling better about what he'll do next week for when Cell starts whining like a baby.
Now that's more like it, keep that up for Perfect Cell Wakamoto!

As for the ep, hmm, that new track with Goku and Gohan, while nice, kinda clashed with the scene slightly to me. That's ok, as Yamamoto's score for Kai has been perfectly suiting for the series so far. Plus the DBZ score had it's moments of pieces not always working, though the other new piece at the end with "super" Vegeta was interesting.

Also, yay, Vegeta beating the shit out of Cell is now no longer one of the most boring moments thanks to Kai! :D
Whaaaaaat? The Super Vegeta/2nd form Cell fight was one of the most entertaining fights. I SERISOULY hope they keep in the attack/convo where Vegeta is hanging upside down and holding up Cell.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:54 pm

LeprikanGT wrote: Whaaaaaat? The Super Vegeta/2nd form Cell fight was one of the most entertaining fights. I SERISOULY hope they keep in the attack/convo where Vegeta is hanging upside down and holding up Cell.
To me it's to much like the anime version of the Veggetto stuff. A one sided fight can get old really fast, Kai's version already trumps Z's by far.