Something about Piccolo I don't get?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alienman24

Something about Piccolo I don't get?

Post by Alienman24 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:00 pm

During the Saiyajian Saga before, Goku arrived, Nappa fired some huge blast at Gohan and Piccolo blocked it but killed himself in the process. From a plot perspective I understand this move. Piccolo has experienced a positive relationship for the first time and Gohan's innocent nature has a strong effect on his natural evil nature. My question is from a logical standpoint WHY DID'T PICCOLO LET NAPPA KILL GOHAN? They've been talking about who has and hasn't been wished back by the dragon balls so why let some one who's death will destroy the dragon balls sacrifice himself for someone who could just be wished back (Gohan)?

Again, I realize why for plot reasons this occurred (so they would have to go to Nemak and Piccolo would have his change of heart) but is there any logical reason to do this?
[color=gray]The fastest draw is when the sword never leaves the scabbard,
the strongest way to block, is never to provoke a blow,
and the cleanest cut is the one withheld.[/color]
Visit my ever growing RPG webstite @
www.alienteacher.info

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Something about Piccolo I don't get?

Post by Zionist » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:07 pm

He obviously wasn't thinking straight and saying to himself "whatever, if I'm still alive, we have the dragonballs." No, he was thinking "If this brat dies then I've failed." He found someone who he considered a friend, and friends don't let friends die duh :lol:

Why wouldn't he do this?
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:21 pm

Because Gohan was a child who he'd grown to care for. He practically raised him from a brat to a warrior. He likely wouldn't be able to live with himself if he sat there and let Nappa just erase Gohan like it was nothing.

Besides, didn't Vegeta basically tell them the balls would be found on Piccolo's homeworld? Piccolo likely factored this in with his actions. He also likely considered the fact that they had to actually win the battle to even use the dragon balls in the first place. If Gohan is wiped out, then he (Piccolo) is also wiped out, his presence would make no difference. He also got a good glimpse of Gohan's potential power and knew it would be needed for future battles.

Kami also said Piccolo was training Gohan so he could "leave something behind in his own image" just in case he doesn't survive the battle with the Saiyans.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:43 pm

If your infant son or daughter is playing in your yard, and suddenly you see someone in their car barreling down the street at 80 mph directly at them, what are you gonna do? Just think, "my husband/wife and I can make another kid, so better this one die than me?" No, of course not. You're going to do anything you can to save your child's life, even at the cost of your own.

Likewise, Piccolo takes the hit for Gohan.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:00 pm

I highly doubt Piccolo had an extensive internal monologue about it. Ultimately his death leads to the course of events that ends Freeza and makes everybody strong enough to even consider coming against Dr. Gero and his creations. Plus it was a badass as hell scene.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:23 pm

Logic wasn't a factor. It was instinct.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Bussani wrote:Logic wasn't a factor. It was instinct.
In short, this is the best answer you'll get for this question
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:47 pm

Option 1. kick that wimpy b*st*rd out the way and move 2. Kick Nappa in the face.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Alienman24 wrote:During the Saiyajian Saga before, Goku arrived, Nappa fired some huge blast at Gohan and Piccolo blocked it but killed himself in the process. From a plot perspective I understand this move. Piccolo has experienced a positive relationship for the first time and Gohan's innocent nature has a strong effect on his natural evil nature. My question is from a logical standpoint WHY DID'T PICCOLO LET NAPPA KILL GOHAN? They've been talking about who has and hasn't been wished back by the dragon balls so why let some one who's death will destroy the dragon balls sacrifice himself for someone who could just be wished back (Gohan)?

Again, I realize why for plot reasons this occurred (so they would have to go to Nemak and Piccolo would have his change of heart) but is there any logical reason to do this?
The same way a 45 year old man might save his 75 year old father from death by sacrificing himself.

From a logical and rational point of view, he shouldn`t do it. His father is old and doesn`t have as much time to live as he has, and he certainly doesn`t want his son to die for him.

But he might do it. Because he loves him and he might not be able to simply let him die.

With Piccolo is the same thing. In that moment, he simply couldn`t bear the thought of letting Gohan die. So he acted instinctively.

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:37 am

Since Piccolo knew that he wasn't strong enough to defeat Nappa and Vegeta, Piccolo figured that Gohan should live, since Gohan had the potential of becoming stronger than himself. Taking into account that if Goku didn't become strong enough to handle Nappa and Vegeta, Gohan would be the ace in the hole. With Goku on the way, Piccolo believed Gohan may be able to tap into that power if Goku's life was on the line (like with Raditz).

Additionally, Piccolo reasoned if Goku came back and found his son dead, there was as much likelihood that Goku would be too distraught to fight effectively, as there was that Gohan's death would motivate him to fight harder. And finally if worse came to worse, if Goku died again, Piccolo thought that would enrage Gohan enough to unleash the power inside of him.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Masa95000

Post by Masa95000 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:55 pm

DBZ Abridged brought up a good point when Piccolo's common sense was thinking that he could just grab Gohan without sacrificing himself.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:41 am

WHY DIDN'T YOU DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODGE???!!111

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Piccolo acted with instinct to save the one person he truly cared for. It doesn't require thinking about; we were basically told it in the story.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Geisha

Post by Geisha » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:54 am

I'd say same reason why Goku sacrificed himself trying to get rid of the exploding Cell~! >_<
They both had really good intentions, and thought it'd be the best/only option... but they obviously overlooked some details.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:02 am

Coola Yagami wrote:WHY DIDN'T YOU DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODGE???!!111
I see what you did there.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:02 pm

Geisha wrote:I'd say same reason why Goku sacrificed himself trying to get rid of the exploding Cell~! >_<
They both had really good intentions, and thought it'd be the best/only option... but they obviously overlooked some details.
What, the entire Earth exploding and the extremely lucky chance that Cell regenerated from a self-destruction that should've killed him?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:38 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Geisha wrote:I'd say same reason why Goku sacrificed himself trying to get rid of the exploding Cell~! >_<
What, the entire Earth exploding and the extremely lucky chance that Cell regenerated from a self-destruction that should've killed him?
More like the possibility that he could have grabbed Kaio and Bubbles and 'ported back, or at least to Enma's. You know; to safety, so that only Cell would have (or at least probably should have) died.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:30 am

Dayspring wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
More like the possibility that he could have grabbed Kaio and Bubbles and 'ported back, or at least to Enma's. You know; to safety, so that only Cell would have (or at least probably should have) died.
Cell exploded almost immediatly after reaching Kaio`s. There was no time.

The anime implies there was much time actually, but the manga does this a little better. Goku just has time to say he`s sorry and Cell explodes.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:34 am

Even in the manga, Goku had plenty of time to come back to Earth. My theory is that he was basically committing suicide, since he later says that he'd rather stay dead, because he's like a magnet for bad guys.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:06 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Even in the manga, Goku had plenty of time to come back to Earth. My theory is that he was basically committing suicide, since he later says that he'd rather stay dead, because he's like a magnet for bad guys.
I always thought that, he even "kinda" admits it afterwards, what with Cell being a result of Goku destroying the Red Ribbon Army and all.
Goku had plenty of time, he could have teleported there immediately, but instead he decides to say goodbye to his son, when there's only 4 seconds left :shock: , but still enough time to apologize and Cell to yell.
Goku must've talked really fast, or maybe Cell inherited Freeza's ability to not tell time properly :P