How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
-
MetalMadness
- Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:06 pm
How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
I've noticed a lot of people talking about how Yamamato's score is generic, repetitive, or just boring. Some people miss Kikuchi. Some people miss Faulconer.
Well, it's actually quite simple to extract the voices from Kai and then mux in whatever music you would like! I can teach this entire process, it isn't diffficult, but it is time consuming.
For those of who are worried about money, don't worry, all of the tools I will use here are freeware. The only thing you will need to buy yourself is the Kai DVD/Blu Ray, which I am assuming you already have.
Also, in terms of legality, it is perfectly legal to back up your own purchased DVDs for personal use and edit them for your own personal use.
It's only illegal when you go trying to sell these as your own and make a profit.
Also, this method can work for the DBoxes, the remastered sets, anything you'd like!
Ok then, let's get down to what you will need:
-Your DVD/Blu Ray
-Media Player Classic, if you don't have it already. It is probably the best video player out there and you should have this anyway.
-The proper codecs installed on your computer. Most people should have these, but I would recommend downloading Combined Community Codec Pack and FFDshow
-A program to rip your DVD/Blu Ray, some examples of free programs are DVDShrink, DVD Decryptor, DVDFab HD Decrypter(for Blu Rays)
-TSMuxer
-Eac3to GUI and Eac3to
-A program that can edit audio. If you happen to have something like Vegas or Adobe on your computer, then you're set, but if you don't have those and want free programs download Audacity, or you can use Windows Movie Maker.
-ISOBuster
-PATIENCE, TIME and COMMON SENSE
Steps
1. The first step is both the longest, and the easiest: Simply rip your DVD. Use the program you downloaded to rip your DVD onto your computer. How long it takes depends on how fast your computer is, and your output settings. But it will take a while to finish. A single episode on a DVD is usually around 1 GB, and a single episode on a Blu Ray is usually around 4 GB. When it starts ripping, just sit back and wait for it to finish.
2. Ok, so depending on whether you were using a DVD or a Blu Ray, you should end up with a big output ISO file. Now use ISOBuster to open that file to see its contents. For DVD Users, you will see a list of VTS files. Most of these files are just menus, trailers, extras, etc. The episodes themselves are always the files that end in .VOB. These are the files you will want to extract. For Blu Ray users, the episodes will be always be .M2TS and will be part of STREAM.
Now, use ISOBuster to extract your episodes onto wherever you want in your desktop.
3. Now we have our episodes. Play them to see if the quality is good enough for you. If it isn't try re-ripping them again. Make sure to check the average bitrate, Blu Ray bitrate should be around 20 Mbps and DVD bitrate I believe should be around 9 Mbps?
Anyway, once you are ready, we are going to use TSMuxer. Open your file with TSMuxer. TSMuxer will show the exact contents of the file. You should have about 4-5 contents in the file: 1 Video stream, 1 English audio 5.1 stream, 1 Japanese audio stream, and 1-2 subtitle streams.
First we want to isolate the video only, so next to the checkboxes on TSMuxer make sure that the Video ONLY is checked. Then click on M2TS muxing, and wait for it to finish. Once it finishes, we have our video-only file. Now, we want our audio-only file. This time, remove every subfile on TSMuxer EXCEPT the English 5.1 audio. Now, MAKE SURE you check off the little check box that says "Downconvert to AC3 audio." Now, at the bottom of TSMuxer, click DEMUX. Wait for it to finish, and once it does, you will have an output AC3 file.
We now have our audio-only file and our video-only file.
4. Now it's time to fix up our audio. Start up the Eac3to GUI. On the first screen, you should see something that says Paths, and then Eac3to. It will say add/change. Click on add/change, and find your Eac3to.exe file (it is the second file that you downloaded in the above links, find wherever you saved it).
Then, click on Add Source file to the left and add your AC3 file we made. Once that's done, click on the Eac3to Audio tab at the top. It will say Input Files or Folders on the right, click on that, and then find the AC3 file we saved in the previous step. Once you click that, go to the left and give your file a file name. You should see it say "save as type" now make sure to set that to WAVS. once you do, click on Run Command Line (Tab specific) at the bottom. Let Eac3to do its work, and once it's done, go to where you set the output to be saved.
You will find 6 WAV files. These are the 6 channels of your audio!
5. We are almost done now! Ok, so now we have our 6 channels of audio. Start up Audacity, or Windows Movie Maker, or Vegas or whatever audio editor you have chosen to use. Open your 6 Audio files on that program.
Now, let me explain this a bit more in detail. Your 6 audio files are the Left, Center, Right, Surround left, Surround Right, and LFE of the audio file. Voices are ALWAYS on the center of the audio. Open your audio file that says C(Center). It SHOULD be the voices ONLY. If it isn't you must have done something wrong. Anyway, the center is always voices and sound effects, while the surrounding files are extra sound effects and music.
So now that you know this, bring all 6 of your audio files into your editor, and start your editing! Whenever there is a scene where Kai's music starts and you want to replace it, you simply cut out that portion from everything EXCEPT the C(Center) file. That way, you'll have your voices without any music. Then, you can go ahead and insert whatever music you would like in that scene as replacement.
I must note however that sometimes, your audio might suffer from cutting out the surrounding files. For example, even though the Center file is always voices, when characters are talking in their heads they have an echoed voice. The "echo" effect is usually placed on the surrounding audio files instead of the Center one, so if you choose to cut those out in a certain scene you might have a character talking in their head with no "echo" effect.
6. Once you are finished all your audio editing, save your audio file. Depending on your editing program, you will save it in different ways, but preferably save it in the highest possible quality setting, and preferably save it as an AC3 file. Once that's done, we go back to TSMuxer. Remember the video-only file we made earlier? Open that on TSMuxer, then add your NEW edited audio, then click M2TS Muxing and you're done! Your output file will have your custom music.
I hope this guide was clear enough, if anybody has any questions please do not hesitate to ask and I will do my best to help. Would it help if I inserted pictures into the guide?
But as I said if you have any questions at all I will help you out, although I must note that I live in Egypt so the timezone here is quite ahead of America, so I may be asleep here when you ask me a question there.
Well, it's actually quite simple to extract the voices from Kai and then mux in whatever music you would like! I can teach this entire process, it isn't diffficult, but it is time consuming.
For those of who are worried about money, don't worry, all of the tools I will use here are freeware. The only thing you will need to buy yourself is the Kai DVD/Blu Ray, which I am assuming you already have.
Also, in terms of legality, it is perfectly legal to back up your own purchased DVDs for personal use and edit them for your own personal use.
It's only illegal when you go trying to sell these as your own and make a profit.
Also, this method can work for the DBoxes, the remastered sets, anything you'd like!
Ok then, let's get down to what you will need:
-Your DVD/Blu Ray
-Media Player Classic, if you don't have it already. It is probably the best video player out there and you should have this anyway.
-The proper codecs installed on your computer. Most people should have these, but I would recommend downloading Combined Community Codec Pack and FFDshow
-A program to rip your DVD/Blu Ray, some examples of free programs are DVDShrink, DVD Decryptor, DVDFab HD Decrypter(for Blu Rays)
-TSMuxer
-Eac3to GUI and Eac3to
-A program that can edit audio. If you happen to have something like Vegas or Adobe on your computer, then you're set, but if you don't have those and want free programs download Audacity, or you can use Windows Movie Maker.
-ISOBuster
-PATIENCE, TIME and COMMON SENSE
Steps
1. The first step is both the longest, and the easiest: Simply rip your DVD. Use the program you downloaded to rip your DVD onto your computer. How long it takes depends on how fast your computer is, and your output settings. But it will take a while to finish. A single episode on a DVD is usually around 1 GB, and a single episode on a Blu Ray is usually around 4 GB. When it starts ripping, just sit back and wait for it to finish.
2. Ok, so depending on whether you were using a DVD or a Blu Ray, you should end up with a big output ISO file. Now use ISOBuster to open that file to see its contents. For DVD Users, you will see a list of VTS files. Most of these files are just menus, trailers, extras, etc. The episodes themselves are always the files that end in .VOB. These are the files you will want to extract. For Blu Ray users, the episodes will be always be .M2TS and will be part of STREAM.
Now, use ISOBuster to extract your episodes onto wherever you want in your desktop.
3. Now we have our episodes. Play them to see if the quality is good enough for you. If it isn't try re-ripping them again. Make sure to check the average bitrate, Blu Ray bitrate should be around 20 Mbps and DVD bitrate I believe should be around 9 Mbps?
Anyway, once you are ready, we are going to use TSMuxer. Open your file with TSMuxer. TSMuxer will show the exact contents of the file. You should have about 4-5 contents in the file: 1 Video stream, 1 English audio 5.1 stream, 1 Japanese audio stream, and 1-2 subtitle streams.
First we want to isolate the video only, so next to the checkboxes on TSMuxer make sure that the Video ONLY is checked. Then click on M2TS muxing, and wait for it to finish. Once it finishes, we have our video-only file. Now, we want our audio-only file. This time, remove every subfile on TSMuxer EXCEPT the English 5.1 audio. Now, MAKE SURE you check off the little check box that says "Downconvert to AC3 audio." Now, at the bottom of TSMuxer, click DEMUX. Wait for it to finish, and once it does, you will have an output AC3 file.
We now have our audio-only file and our video-only file.
4. Now it's time to fix up our audio. Start up the Eac3to GUI. On the first screen, you should see something that says Paths, and then Eac3to. It will say add/change. Click on add/change, and find your Eac3to.exe file (it is the second file that you downloaded in the above links, find wherever you saved it).
Then, click on Add Source file to the left and add your AC3 file we made. Once that's done, click on the Eac3to Audio tab at the top. It will say Input Files or Folders on the right, click on that, and then find the AC3 file we saved in the previous step. Once you click that, go to the left and give your file a file name. You should see it say "save as type" now make sure to set that to WAVS. once you do, click on Run Command Line (Tab specific) at the bottom. Let Eac3to do its work, and once it's done, go to where you set the output to be saved.
You will find 6 WAV files. These are the 6 channels of your audio!
5. We are almost done now! Ok, so now we have our 6 channels of audio. Start up Audacity, or Windows Movie Maker, or Vegas or whatever audio editor you have chosen to use. Open your 6 Audio files on that program.
Now, let me explain this a bit more in detail. Your 6 audio files are the Left, Center, Right, Surround left, Surround Right, and LFE of the audio file. Voices are ALWAYS on the center of the audio. Open your audio file that says C(Center). It SHOULD be the voices ONLY. If it isn't you must have done something wrong. Anyway, the center is always voices and sound effects, while the surrounding files are extra sound effects and music.
So now that you know this, bring all 6 of your audio files into your editor, and start your editing! Whenever there is a scene where Kai's music starts and you want to replace it, you simply cut out that portion from everything EXCEPT the C(Center) file. That way, you'll have your voices without any music. Then, you can go ahead and insert whatever music you would like in that scene as replacement.
I must note however that sometimes, your audio might suffer from cutting out the surrounding files. For example, even though the Center file is always voices, when characters are talking in their heads they have an echoed voice. The "echo" effect is usually placed on the surrounding audio files instead of the Center one, so if you choose to cut those out in a certain scene you might have a character talking in their head with no "echo" effect.
6. Once you are finished all your audio editing, save your audio file. Depending on your editing program, you will save it in different ways, but preferably save it in the highest possible quality setting, and preferably save it as an AC3 file. Once that's done, we go back to TSMuxer. Remember the video-only file we made earlier? Open that on TSMuxer, then add your NEW edited audio, then click M2TS Muxing and you're done! Your output file will have your custom music.
I hope this guide was clear enough, if anybody has any questions please do not hesitate to ask and I will do my best to help. Would it help if I inserted pictures into the guide?
But as I said if you have any questions at all I will help you out, although I must note that I live in Egypt so the timezone here is quite ahead of America, so I may be asleep here when you ask me a question there.
Last edited by MetalMadness on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:54 am, edited 6 times in total.
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
I'm interested in reading this process. Every time I tried to attempt it, it always comes out sounding very poor and not very enjoyable to hear. Fire away!
Forum quote of the moment:
Castor Troy wrote:You're all doing it wrong.
DBZ bootlegs have the movie 9 cover with the pioneer movie 2 description on the back and the disc actually has a Japanese soap opera in MEPG2.
-
AoiKageNoChikara
- Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 158
- Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:01 pm
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
I would love to replace Kai's music or the Dragonbox Music (that is kikuchi's) with Blue Dragon Tenkai No Shichi Ryuu Soundtrack or put Kai's score in the buu saga!
Count me in!
Count me in!
- penguintruth
- Banned
- Posts: 4861
- Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
I'm going to replace all the music with "Yakety Sax" and "Spanish Flea".
It'll look something like this.
It'll look something like this.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.
Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!
Can I get a Schemen?
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
I would love to learn how to do this. I was thinking about replacing the Z dub's "I am" speech with Kai dub's speech on Z video (Dbox footage). I thought it'd be too difficult. Particularly, I wanted to mux the Kai dialogue with the Bruce Faulconer music and sync it up with the video from that scene.
- BluezaBladeNZ
- Regular
- Posts: 637
- Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:30 pm
- Location: New Zealand
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
I actually did something like this a while ago using both 5.1 tracks of episode 3 of Kai during the battle with Radditz and episodes 4 and 5 of Z with Kikuchi's score and it turned out good. Though it was weird having the cut out bits blank. 
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
I was actually going to do the same thing, but instead with the entire Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1 soundtrack. Because everyone loves that soundtrack, right?!penguintruth wrote:I'm going to replace all the music with "Yakety Sax" and "Spanish Flea".
It'll look something like this.
...Right?
Forum quote of the moment:
Castor Troy wrote:You're all doing it wrong.
DBZ bootlegs have the movie 9 cover with the pioneer movie 2 description on the back and the disc actually has a Japanese soap opera in MEPG2.
-
MetalMadness
- Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:06 pm
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
This is definitely possible, and easy, but you'll have to wait until DBZKai Part 4 comes out because the speech is on that set.Deimos wrote:I would love to learn how to do this. I was thinking about replacing the Z dub's "I am" speech with Kai dub's speech on Z video (Dbox footage). I thought it'd be too difficult. Particularly, I wanted to mux the Kai dialogue with the Bruce Faulconer music and sync it up with the video from that scene.
Even Gohan's SSJ2 transformation?I'm going to replace all the music with "Yakety Sax" and "Spanish Flea".
Ok, well I'm going to go edit the OP giving more details on the process, I hope this topic gains more interest in time as it really isn't hard to do this
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
As I had that link open...instead of watching Vegeta transform over and over, I replayed episodes of The Angry Beavers in my head.penguintruth wrote:I'm going to replace all the music with "Yakety Sax" and "Spanish Flea".
It'll look something like this.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Youtube | Art/Animation BlogInsertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
- Turtle Marked Stone
- Regular
- Posts: 609
- Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:22 pm
- Contact:
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
I'll take 30 torrents, no 40!penguintruth wrote:I'm going to replace all the music with "Yakety Sax" and "Spanish Flea".
It'll look something like this.
-
AoiKageNoChikara
- Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 158
- Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:01 pm
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
Awesome man, thanks for the tutorial, I'm gonna try it with the 2 only remastered sets I've got xD
BTW do you know if I can rip music from the show with this? Like the only unreleased OST in Kai's Android saga?
BTW do you know if I can rip music from the show with this? Like the only unreleased OST in Kai's Android saga?
-
MetalMadness
- Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:06 pm
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
Yes, you can definitely rip music from the show with this. The only thing is that it depends on how the audio is set up, sometimes it will be the music on its own, and sometimes it will be the music + sound effects. If the track you want to rip plays during a fairly quiet scene, then it will be perfect, but if it plays during a battle there will probably be a lot of extra sound effects.AoiKageNoChikara wrote:Awesome man, thanks for the tutorial, I'm gonna try it with the 2 only remastered sets I've got xD
BTW do you know if I can rip music from the show with this? Like the only unreleased OST in Kai's Android saga?
One more thing you must remember, this only works with 5.1 audio, not stereo.
- Castor Troy
- I Live Here
- Posts: 2134
- Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
- Contact:
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
I've been trying to work on this parody with the Orange Brick audio and I can get a track with the english dub voices isolated, but the sound effects track is mixed in with the BGM track.MetalMadness wrote:Yes, you can definitely rip music from the show with this. The only thing is that it depends on how the audio is set up, sometimes it will be the music on its own, and sometimes it will be the music + sound effects. If the track you want to rip plays during a fairly quiet scene, then it will be perfect, but if it plays during a battle there will probably be a lot of extra sound effects.AoiKageNoChikara wrote:Awesome man, thanks for the tutorial, I'm gonna try it with the 2 only remastered sets I've got xD
BTW do you know if I can rip music from the show with this? Like the only unreleased OST in Kai's Android saga?
One more thing you must remember, this only works with 5.1 audio, not stereo.
The parody sounds fine vocal wise, but without the sound effects, it doesn't sound right.
- BluezaBladeNZ
- Regular
- Posts: 637
- Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:30 pm
- Location: New Zealand
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
Another annoying thing when trying to isolate the voices so the BGM and SFX remain, is whenever is talking in their mind, the echoing can still be heard, same with the narrator. When I did episodes 4 & 5 of Z with Kai's voices and Kikuchi's score, there'd be moments where you can hear the original.
-
MetalMadness
- Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:06 pm
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
When I run into those situations I insert the actual standalone music file into the scene, rather than taking it from another scene with sound effects.BluezaBladeNZ wrote:Another annoying thing when trying to isolate the voices so the BGM and SFX remain, is whenever is talking in their mind, the echoing can still be heard, same with the narrator. When I did episodes 4 & 5 of Z with Kai's voices and Kikuchi's score, there'd be moments where you can hear the original.
- Castor Troy
- I Live Here
- Posts: 2134
- Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
- Contact:
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
I have some of the Kai dvds at home and I can't check right now, but is the sound effects track isolated better than the season sets?
I can always wait for the Kai episodes for my parody, but it's going to be a much longer wait..
I can always wait for the Kai episodes for my parody, but it's going to be a much longer wait..
- BluezaBladeNZ
- Regular
- Posts: 637
- Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:30 pm
- Location: New Zealand
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
Same here but it becomes a problem when it occurs on an unreleased track, though still easy for some since the unreleased albums for Z movies 1-13 have been released but for Dragon Ball where no laserdiscs were released, that's a different story.MetalMadness wrote:When I run into those situations I insert the actual standalone music file into the scene, rather than taking it from another scene with sound effects.
-
MetalMadness
- Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:06 pm
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
From my editing, I've noticed that most of the time the sound effects are with the voices. It's only during a big battle scene with a lot going on then the sound effects are with the musicCastor Troy wrote:I have some of the Kai dvds at home and I can't check right now, but is the sound effects track isolated better than the season sets?
I can always wait for the Kai episodes for my parody, but it's going to be a much longer wait..
-
AoiKageNoChikara
- Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 158
- Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:01 pm
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
MetalMadness thanks a whole lot for this already got the software and got my dvds ready, I'm gonna see how this goes! You'll be my hero if this works...if not....VEEERMIIIIIN XD
Re: How to edit the audio on Kai to whatever you like
I'm working on editing the audio of Return of Cooler to include the Faulconer score, but I'm running into a problem of being unable to satisfactorily remove the Kikuchi score from the background. I'm trying to reverse-phase it with other audio tracks, but I can't seem to get rid of it to isolate the voices and SFX. Any suggestions?



