Scenes That Did Better In Kai Than The Original Japanese Z

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.
User avatar
Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Scenes That Did Better In Kai Than The Original Japanese Z

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:28 pm

-Vegeta getting hit by the Genki Dama (great BGM. In Z, it got no BGM).
-Final Flash.
That's all what I can remember now.

User avatar
Rocketman
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10799
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:17 pm

Re: Scenes That Did Better In Kai Than The Original Japanese Z

Post by Rocketman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:39 pm

-All of them. Excising the tumorous filler outweighs every single other problem it can possibly have.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Scenes That Did Better In Kai Than The Original Japanese Z

Post by NeoKING » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:39 pm

As strange as it may sound, the very first SSJ scene. Kai made it to be like "Wtf is happening?!" with the generic music, yes, but the original kinda spoiled it that it was that moment that Goku would become the SSJ. I was surprised when I first saw him do it, but the scene made it seem like everyone was just waiting for it to happen.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Scenes That Did Better In Kai Than The Original Japanese Z

Post by penguintruth » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:52 pm

I find that (Japanese) Z did most of the important parts better than Kai. Most of Goku's fight with Vegeta, Vegeta's fight with Zarbon, Goku arriving on Namek, Goku's 20x Kaioken, Goku's first SSJ transformation, Trunks' first appearance, Vegeta's SSJ transformation, etc.

But there were some things I thought Kai did as good or better. I really liked some of the Ginyu stuff better in Kai and with Vegeta's death scene I could go either way.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
B
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5563
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am
Contact:

Re: Scenes That Did Better In Kai Than The Original Japanese Z

Post by B » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Any scene where Vegeta speaks. Horikawa took his age, bent it over a table, and showed it what is what.
Also, much of the Ginyu stuff is more concise and easy to sit through. Enjoyable, even.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

User avatar
DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here
Posts: 2832
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:01 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Scenes That Did Better In Kai Than The Original Japanese Z

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Goku's arrival on Earth because:
A. That was the scene that got me into DBKai.
B. The Cha-La Instrumental piece didn't seem appropriate for the moment.

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:06 pm

Re: Scenes That Did Better In Kai Than The Original Japanese Z

Post by MetalMadness » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Rocketman wrote:-All of them. Excising the tumorous filler outweighs every single other problem it can possibly have.
Definitely. This really sums it up for me.

The only scenes I prefer in the original Z are the ones that Kai censored, such as Raditz and Goku getting pierced, or the bucking that second form Freeza gave Krillin (well technically Kai didn't censor that but it cut out a good portion of the scene).

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Scenes That Did Better In Kai Than The Original Japanese Z

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:04 pm

I can think of a Bunch, Goku's Arrival On The Battle With The Saiyans because the freaking Score was new at the time and was hella more exciting than Z, Raditz Arrival, Trunks Killing Frieza is Definitely Better with that powerfull Orchestra and powerful Percussion, Frieza Aproaching Earth in The Android Saga almost made me wet my pants, that was intense and Indimidating, Gohan And Krillin Flying To Frieza´s Spaceship was brilliant.

I Shed a Tear When Gohan and Dende Said Goodbye to each other, fantastic score, Goku Suffering From his Heart Disease was Emotional as hell I got desperate though I knew what was gonna happen, Vegeta Going Super Saiyan Was great In Kai much better than Z Kikuchi gave that scene a... I dunno... Generic organ music for a bad guy feeling XD.

Cell´s Transformation was superb, No comparation to the Slow-mo Z counterpart, Frieza´s 2nd Form Tranformation was Amazing Also,

Trunks vs King Cold, Piccolo VS 17 are True examples of Kai´s Greatness, No comparation to Z, Kai wins Hands down!

Also I loved the 3 Years Training Montage with the amazing orchestra music, that was ackward in Kikuchi´s Version.

Also I won´t ever Forget Chiaotzu´s Death In Kai

Of course Dbz Rocks too, but it´s not of a fool to Say Kai has Done much better in a whole lot of scenes.

User avatar
Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1529
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:44 am
Location: U..S..A..

Re: Scenes That Did Better In Kai Than The Original Japanese Z

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:36 pm

Trunk's arrival and fight with Freeza was better imo in kai than the original.
Though preferred the original's bgm though..

User avatar
MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:11 am

Re: Scenes That Did Better In Kai Than The Original Japanese Z

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:44 am

Off the top of my head:

Vegeta vs. Zarbon- both times they fought felt really fresh in Kai, the interrupting filler of Goku ship hi-jinks and such really felt forced and ruined the momentum.

Freeza's revival- LOVED how this was done in Kai. He wakes up, tells Cold they're going to earth, then bam, Dragon Soul, music was perfect in that scene too.

Trunks vs. King Cold- Just beautiful music, perfect.

Final Flash- better music and better delivery of said move.

User avatar
TheGreatness25
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5011
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: Scenes That Did Better In Kai Than The Original Japanese Z

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:27 pm

I pretty much like most of the redrawn scenes from the Freeza fight and onward because that's when the animation in the original really took off, so it didn't look as weird and out of place as earlier in the series. Although the colors could have been done a bit better... more specifically their warm colors (red, orange, pink, etc.). From the Freeza fight onward, they really made the animation (even the original) look as stellar as it could... barred from some scenes. I'm always impressed when the original footage looks crisp and new. So I guess I like the look of Kai more than Z.

Post Reply