What is with Amazon's voice actor descriptions?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

What is with Amazon's voice actor descriptions?

Post by gotensottile » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:13 pm

They say the weirdest things. Whether it be Ocean actors, wrong dates, or a mix of different language voice actors.
Dragon Ball Z: Season 1. Starring Shigeru Chiba, Justin Cook, and Ian James Corlett, et al. (DVD - Sep. 13th, 1996)
Dragon Ball Z: Season 2. Starring Dragon Ball Z. (DVD - May 22nd, 2007)
Dragon Ball Z: Season 3. Starring Toshiro Furukawa, Ryo Horikawa, Dale Kelly, et al. (DVD -- Sep. 13th, 1996)
Shall I continue?
Dale Kelly? Ian Corlett? '96? DBZ starring DBZ?
Oh, wow.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What is with Amazon's voice actor descriptions?

Post by Ahiru77 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:19 pm

"Starring Dragonball Z" :lol:

If they just don't care, they could have put "Google it" instead. Same info, more helpful.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:16 pm

Who's your daddy, DBZ?.... YOU ARE!

Seriously, the should've just put "Artist Not Provided" instead these inconsistent VAs list.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:51 am

Actor information for cartoons, and especially cartoons that were not originally in English but got dubbed into English at one point, tend to have a lot of misinformation as a result of the stores just lifting this information off sites that tend to give an unproportionate amount of focus on the local release of the cartoon.

As a result, Scandinavian online store CDOn lists the Scandinavian releases of the Dragonball Z movies as "starring Christopher Sabat, Kristian Ståhlgren, Sean Schemmel, Sharon Dyall, Sonny Strait, Johan Hedenberg, Tiffany Vollmer, Maria Rydberg, Stephanie Nadolny, Anna Nordell, Kyle Hebert, Per Sandborgh, Mike McFarland, Ole Ornered, Cynthia Cranz, Dick Eriksson, Peter Sjöquist, Justin Cook". These are DVDs that don't even include an English voice track.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Adamant wrote:Actor information for cartoons, and especially cartoons that were not originally in English but got dubbed into English at one point, tend to have a lot of misinformation as a result of the stores just lifting this information off sites that tend to give an unproportionate amount of focus on the local release of the cartoon.

As a result, Scandinavian online store CDOn lists the Scandinavian releases of the Dragonball Z movies as "starring Christopher Sabat, Kristian Ståhlgren, Sean Schemmel, Sharon Dyall, Sonny Strait, Johan Hedenberg, Tiffany Vollmer, Maria Rydberg, Stephanie Nadolny, Anna Nordell, Kyle Hebert, Per Sandborgh, Mike McFarland, Ole Ornered, Cynthia Cranz, Dick Eriksson, Peter Sjöquist, Justin Cook". These are DVDs that don't even include an English voice track.
I thought that the Scandanavian ones were the ones with the Big Green dub.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:14 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote: I thought that the Scandanavian ones were the ones with the Big Green dub.
The scripts are translated from the AB Groupe dub, but the DVDs don't include it. Why would they do that?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:21 pm

I heard that the Scandanavian DVD's had it on there. How else would movies 1, 5-9, and the TV Specials have DVD releases?
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:22 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I heard that the Scandanavian DVD's had it on there. How else would movies 1, 5-9, and the TV Specials have DVD releases?
The Scandinavian DVD's do have the 'Big Green' dub. At least, the movies and the TV specials did. I'm not sure if they did a different release later on that omitted that track.
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:14 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I heard that the Scandanavian DVD's had it on there. How else would movies 1, 5-9, and the TV Specials have DVD releases?
The Scandinavian DVD's do have the 'Big Green' dub. At least, the movies and the TV specials did. I'm not sure if they did a different release later on that omitted that track.
Well, it is quite strange, actually.
I have the Norwegian Movie 3 and Trunks Special, and Movie three has Norwegian, Finnish, Danish, Swedish and Japanese Audio, while the Special has Norwegian, Japanese, English(Big Green), Swedish and Danish Audio.
Also, the Scandinavian Dubs of the Movies and Specials are based off the Big Green Dubs.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:40 pm

Huh, I see. CDOn only have the 3 DVDs from the first batch (Movie 2, 3 and the Bardock special), the one that got an actual widespread release. I guess the later batch, the one that's so obscure I've never seen anything from it for purchase anywhere, included the English dub for whatever reason.