Saddest moment in Dragonball/Z/GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nippolyte
Not-So-Newbie

Saddest moment in Dragonball/Z/GT

Post by Nippolyte » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:20 am

What would you say is the saddest or most emotional moment in the Dragonball Series? I'll have to go with Tapion asking Trunks to kill him with his sword.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Saddest moment in Dragonball/Z/GT

Post by PuppetDoctor » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:34 am

The saddest moment for me was in the anime when Vegeta sacrifices himself to kill Buu.

jordanator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jordanator » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:08 am

I always thought it was kinda sad on Namek, before Vegeta dies. When he makes a long speech about how Freeza turned him into what he is, and tears roll down his face.
PS3 PSN: Jordanator
XBOX 360 GAMERTAG: J0RDANAT0R
nathantheguitarist wrote: I will punch children.

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotensottile » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:52 am

Hands down, when Trunks sees Gohan's dead body and becomes a Super Saiyan in the 2nd TV Special.

ChampionofTime
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChampionofTime » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:01 pm

Post Deleted.
Last edited by ChampionofTime on Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:19 pm

When Trunks turns super saiyan for the first time in the History special. :(

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:26 pm

In GT, when Piccolo sacrifices himself so the black star dragon balls can't be used again. It only makes me sad hearing the English dub w/ Japanese music. I really like the dialogue Piccolo said to Gohan in the English dub more than the original.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:29 pm

For me it's got to be episode 76 of Dragon Ball, when Goku meets his Grandpa again. When he's crying in his Grandpa's arms and says "I looked everywhere for you and I couldn't find you". That to me was one of the best scenes in Dragon Ball. I felt so sorry for Goku, I imagined him looking for his Grandpa. :lol: It's not really a "sad" moment, but it is really emotional.

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:54 pm

gotensottile wrote:Hands down, when Trunks sees Gohan's dead body and becomes a Super Saiyan in the 2nd TV Special.
Oh yeah when the Androids pwned everybody in the future, I second that it was incredibly sad.
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:21 pm

Dragon Ball Z Kai: During the battle vs Nappa and Vegeta, after Yamcha, Chiaotzu and Tenshinhan died, when Krillin screams
"Everyone's dying and I don't know how to stop it. HURRY GOKU. WE NEED YOUR HELP. PLEASE GOKU"
This always gets me. The situation at that moment is just so dire and hopeless. :D

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:53 pm

*insert "when season 3 started" joke here*
SSJSteve wrote:For me it's got to be episode 76 of Dragon Ball, when Goku meets his Grandpa again. When he's crying in his Grandpa's arms and says "I looked everywhere for you and I couldn't find you". That to me was one of the best scenes in Dragon Ball. I felt so sorry for Goku, I imagined him looking for his Grandpa. :lol: It's not really a "sad" moment, but it is really emotional.
I thought quite a lot of Z moments were emotional until I saw this part. :cry:

angelus0901
Beyond Newbie

Post by angelus0901 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:07 pm

My saddest moment is the end of GT, when Goku grabs the Nyoibou and flies off on Kinto-Un, that's the moment you realize it's the end and that we won't be able to watch Goku's new adventures anymore...
What the Helheim?!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:48 pm

I'd probably say Trunks' first Super Saiyan transformation scene in the TV Special. Trunks finding Gohan's dead body in the rain, crying over him and then yelling as his tears and the rain slide down his face, before finally transforming was truly emotional.

And also Vegeta's dying speech on Namek gets worthy mention. Before, I hadn't felt anything for the arrogant bastard, but in that scene, when he was literally crying and begging for Goku to kill Freeza, I actually felt sorry for him.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:49 pm

I'd say it's a three way tie for me.

1) When Trunks finds Gohan's body in a puddle during the thunderstorm.

2) When Goku announces he wishes to stay dead.

3) When Goku informs everyone that Gohan and Vegeta were killed by Majin Buu.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Choice195
Banned

Post by Choice195 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:47 pm

When DBZ came to an End.... :cry:

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:50 pm

FUNimation's GT ending. The music is perfect.
El Conejo Malo

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:20 pm

I don't know why but none of those scenes really hit me that hard. The Vegeta sacrifice, Vegeta dying, etc. I guess it was because by that point in the series, so many people died that it was like, "Well he's going to come back."

The one that got me was when Tambourine (I believe it was) kills Kuririn and Goku senses that something is wrong and he runs back to find Kuririn's dead body. That one got the most emotion out of me because the end of the Goku/Tenshinhan fight was joyous and everything was good and then there was no music and it was just... sad. That scene gets me in the original Japanese and FUNimation, which is something that FUNimation's dubbing of Z never really did for me because there was always battle music playing. Their saddest theme was when Goku beat Kid Buu.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:35 pm

1. Goku meeting Grandpa Gohan again.

2. Vegeta's death on Namek/Goku's resolution. I think the aspect that really brings that home is Goku saying he hates Vegeta, but asking for his Saiyan pride as well. Bonus points for the use of the "dun-dun-dun" track in the anime.

3. Goku sparring with Kuririn at the end of GT. Kuririn's comment that neither Goku nor Kame-Sennin have changed at all, while he's grown so old, makes this one of the most emotionally charged moments in the series. It really addresses the passage of time that's one of Dragon Ball's strongest points. The more things change, and all that. I really love this one because it's so much more honest than all of the other melodramatic "sad" moments It's about as down-to-Earth as the series ever gets.

Garlic
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Garlic » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Trying to watch Season 3 in english. :(
Rocketman wrote:
but what does 18 do that transcends her stereotype?

Beat the shit out of an egotistical prick

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:10 pm

Garlic wrote:Trying to watch Season 3 in english. :(
"Yes, yes, yes! I can do it, I feel great! I-can-do-this!"