Possible that fusing changed Vegeta's personality?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

XxVidel-MrSatanxX

Possible that fusing changed Vegeta's personality?

Post by XxVidel-MrSatanxX » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:36 pm

Even though Vegeta's been shown to gradually become less and less evil through the course of the series, do you guys think that fusing with the pure-hearted Goku in the Buu saga may have "cleansed" his soul in a sense?

What I mean by that is by fusing, both Goku and Vegeta were able to literally become a single entity. Doesn't it make sense that that such a process would allow them to have each others' complete memories as well as understand each other perfectly? Similar to the Kami/Piccolo fusion in a sense (I know they're not the same, just drawing a parallel). Although we've already had a major character-defining moment for Vegeta in his suicide attack against Fat Buu, he still surprises us a couple more times towards the end of the arc, after Vegetto had come and gone:

-Admitting that Goku is number one.
-Actually setting aside his pride to basically beg the people of Earth to contribute their energy.
-Being revived along with everyone else who was deemed not evil.

Does anyone else think that the temporary fusion of Goku and Vegeta contributed towards Vegeta's progression towards becoming a genuine good guy? If so, tt definitely happened at the right point in time since he was most of the way there anyhow. :wink:

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whDj9fp8dM0
Around 4:21 Vegeta starts talking about how he was never able to surpass Goku and about what he originally thought Goku's motivation and power stemmed from. At 5:04 Vegeta seems to understand exactly what's going on inside Goku's head as far as why he fights. Also, at 5:21, Vegeta also seems to have an idea why Goku originally spared him on earth 11 years prior. I mean, I guess this doesn't exactly support the theory, but it definitely makes it more plausible. :)
Last edited by XxVidel-MrSatanxX on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<3Videl<3

Dabooyaka
Beyond Newbie

Re: Possible that fusing changed Vegeta's personality?

Post by Dabooyaka » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:40 pm

That's funny you say that, because I have wondered the same thing as well for a long time. Vegeta seemed different after Vegito split up.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:27 pm

I've also wondered about both Vegeta and Goku's personalities post-fusion; especially since it was supposed to be such a permanent type. It's interesting to me. It makes me wonder if they both retained shared memories of being Vegetto, or if they were able to pull at one another's memories of the past, if they were conscious of one another or if internally they were completely blended, if it does affect personality traits at all after they defused...

Vegeta did seem more at peace after the fusion was over, but he also expressed no desire to fuse again.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:15 pm

This is actually a theory I can jump on board with.
I always imagined that as a fused being the fus-ees would be introduced to each other's ways of thinking and feeling. They clearly remembered being Vegetto after separating otherwise they would have said "WTF are we doing inside this place where did Buu go?!"

It would also make the fusion storyline less pointless.
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:38 am

Vegeta breaking the potara immediatley after de-fusing because of his pride, thus eliminating their greatest chance of deafeating Buu, is perhaps the greatest sign that he didn't change that much .

The reason he might seem a little different was because this was Vegeta after the majin incident and sacrificing himself to save the earth, which is the turning point of Vegeta's character development. We saw little of him between him dying and fusing to gauge out how much he had changed, but the simple fact that he agreed to it in the first place shows the changes were there before he fused.

As for the shared memories thing, it's plausible but I doubt it. They might remember what Vegetto did, but I don't think that attained each others memories. It's not completely unlikely though.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:39 am

Even though this could make sense, I don't like the idea, personally. I'd prefer it if Vegeta finally reached that epiphany of his by himself, rather than being helped by Goku's Gokuness...if that makes any sense to anyone.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:59 am

Bussani wrote:Even though this could make sense, I don't like the idea, personally. I'd prefer it if Vegeta finally reached that epiphany of his by himself, rather than being helped by Goku's Gokuness...if that makes any sense to anyone.
Oh it certainly does to me and I agree with you.
If Vegeta couldn't have reached that conclusion all by himself without Goku's "help" then it doesn't have the same impact IMHO.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:27 am

Bussani wrote:Even though this could make sense, I don't like the idea, personally. I'd prefer it if Vegeta finally reached that epiphany of his by himself, rather than being helped by Goku's Gokuness...if that makes any sense to anyone.
Even if we take this theory as certain, he would have still have reached his epiphany by himself.

He didn't have different DNA after defusing or something like that. He only had Goku's memories and therefore, he understands him way better than before. It's not very different than making Vegeta watch a movie that covered all of Goku's memories, emotions and etc.

He simply had much more information and facts to arrive at his conclusion or epiphany. Its still his conclusion, made by his very own personality. He simply had much more facts and information to base his opinion on.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:28 am

I don't think it changed him all that much because they were Vegetto for hardly a few minutes. Although I feel it did change him a bit.

Just having the same mind as Goku for a few minutes made him realize what Goku fights for, what he believes in and also how very Saiyan Goku is at the end of the day. This makes him accept Goku even more.

I feel the reason he broke the potara immediately after splitting up was not due to pride, but due to his personality. It was just one of those things he did on instinct because he was such a proud man for so many years.

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nineteen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:55 pm

In my opinion, Fusion is less of a combination of two personalities (though that certainly occurs) than the creation of an entirely new personality out of the building blocks of the old ones. In this view, Goku and Vegeta served at the raw material for the creation of Vegetto, who, while appearing to have a personality combining theirs, was essentially his 'own' person.
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:14 pm

SylentEcho wrote: I feel the reason he broke the potara immediately after splitting up was not due to pride, but due to his personality. It was just one of those things he did on instinct because he was such a proud man for so many years.
That doesn't make sense. Pride is part of his personality. I'm pretty sure he was well aware of what he was doing when de broke it. He (and Goku too this time ) refuse the power of the potaras again later on proves this.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:54 pm

rereboy wrote:He didn't have different DNA after defusing or something like that. He only had Goku's memories and therefore, he understands him way better than before. It's not very different than making Vegeta watch a movie that covered all of Goku's memories, emotions and etc.

He simply had much more information and facts to arrive at his conclusion or epiphany. Its still his conclusion, made by his very own personality. He simply had much more facts and information to base his opinion on.
That's an interesting way of looking at it. If you put it that way, I guess I can get behind it. It makes me wonder if they do keep the memories of the other person after they defuse, however; it seems logical, but I don't think anyone ever brings it up.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:46 pm

I think they changed each other to be like the other. Goku got more cocky and jerkass. Vegeta got more pure hearted and nice.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:39 am

Ussj Future Trunks wrote:I think they changed each other to be like the other. Goku got more cocky and jerkass. Vegeta got more pure hearted and nice.
Eh? Goku was always cocky whenever he needed to be although I never saw that happening after the fusion broke. :p

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:03 am

Nah. Vegeta immediately breaks the Potara after de-fusing because he didn't want to be combined with Goku anymore. I don't think fusing with Goku changed his personality. As aforementioned, the sacrifice against Boo was one of the biggest turning points in his character, and then later, during Goku's battle with Kid Boo, he finally realized why Goku had always surpassed him. I think putting Vegeta's development down to fusing would just demean that development.

And besides, Vegetto is his own person. Yes, he was made from both Goku and Vegeta, but he only acts cocky to provoke Boo into absorbing him. We don't really get to see much of Vegetto's personality. He just cockily provoked Boo into absorbing him, then focused on rescuing his friends. I don't think Goku or Vegeta recieve the other's memories post-fusion or anything like that. Most likely Vegetto would have both Goku and Vegeta's memories during their fusion, but not after. Piccolo did because he was permanently fused with God, and so God had become a part of him. He gained not only his power, but his knowledge and memories.
Nineteen wrote:In my opinion, Fusion is less of a combination of two personalities (though that certainly occurs) than the creation of an entirely new personality out of the building blocks of the old ones. In this view, Goku and Vegeta served at the raw material for the creation of Vegetto, who, while appearing to have a personality combining theirs, was essentially his 'own' person.
This. Even though Gotenks actually likes a hyperactive child, he's way more arrogant and cocky than Goten and Trunks (well, only Trunks was cocky), and even after Goten and Trunks promised to Piccolo that they wouldn't get cocky like last time, after fusing, Gotenks set off circling around the world, took a nap and then took off again to fight Boo without realizing that he only had a minute left.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:46 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote: And besides, Vegetto is his own person. I don't think Goku or Vegeta recieve the other's memories post-fusion or anything like that; that's never suggested or implied in the series, so I have no reason to assume so. Most likely Vegetto would have both Goku and Vegeta's memories during their fusion, but not after. Piccolo did because he was permanently fused with God, and so God had become a part of him. He gained not only his power, but his knowledge and memories.
But like I said before, they clearly remember being Vegetto after splitting back to themselves, and I would assume that includes his thoughts and feelings.

If Vegetto remembers everything Goku and Vegeta remember, and Goku and Vegeta remember everything Vegetto remembers...how can they not remember each other's memories?
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Kroni_Hunter wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:And besides, Vegetto is his own person. I don't think Goku or Vegeta recieve the other's memories post-fusion or anything like that; that's never suggested or implied in the series, so I have no reason to assume so. Most likely Vegetto would have both Goku and Vegeta's memories during their fusion, but not after. Piccolo did because he was permanently fused with God, and so God had become a part of him. He gained not only his power, but his knowledge and memories.
But like I said before, they clearly remember being Vegetto after splitting back to themselves, and I would assume that includes his thoughts and feelings.

If Vegetto remembers everything Goku and Vegeta remember, and Goku and Vegeta remember everything Vegetto remembers...how can they not remember each other's memories?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Goten and Trunks don't remember when they become Gotenks for the first time, do they? Could someone provide a translation of the relevant panels after Gotenks defuses, please?

As for whether they remember being Vegetto after defusing...perhaps it was like they fused, and then a complete blank, before defusing inside Vegetto's body. I don't think part of Vegeta's character development came from fusing with Goku, since that would demean his development. I think it was entirely himself.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Yep, Vegeta got all that developement from Goku's gokuness.

All because of Goku. Couldn't have done it without Goku. If Goku didn't exist, Vegeta would be a pile of nothingness.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:57 pm

/\ What? Vegeta would just not have a goal in life. He wouldn't be nothing.

I tend to agree with Piccolo Daimou's post. It really makes a lot of sense. Besides, they were Vegetto for barely 3 minutes at best? I don't think Vegeta really understood Goku's mindset in just 3 or 4 minutes, although he could figure out where he was coming from. It really wouldn't cause such a sudden change.

Like Piccolo Daimou mentioned, his change occurred before, when he gave his life for everyone against Boo. He actually said stuff like, "sleep well Kakarotto. When you wake up, hopefully this will all be over" , "So you're Majin Boo? How dare you kill Gohan?", "Trunks, Bulma, this one's for you. Even you Kakarotto!"

Now that's nothing like the Vegeta we knew till the Cell arc.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:10 pm

Kroni_Hunter wrote:If Vegetto remembers everything Goku and Vegeta remember, and Goku and Vegeta remember everything Vegetto remembers...how can they not remember each other's memories?
The same way you can only remember parts of a dream after waking up from one sometimes?