Are there any completed fanmangas?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.
SuperForteX
Banned
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:35 am

Are there any completed fanmangas?

Post by SuperForteX » Wed May 18, 2011 5:50 am

Sigh.. I'm soo bored lately. All the best fanmangas or doujenshi (SP??) are on-going and at stalemates, not being updated for a long time. Dragon Ball is how many years old? Aren't there any 100% complete good fanmangas out there for the reading? Free ones that can be read online?

I remember back in the old days of DB fandom, ie the planetnamek.com era, it was always 'common knowledge' that "there's tons of Dragon Ball fanmangas out there, some of them drawn very well by Japanese fanartists, enough so to be confused with real works."

Yet, I've yet to actually see one. Toyble's DBAF and the like is still on-going and only started a few years ago for example.

DBM was really good at first, but the slow pace and 'Special Chapters' have become somewhat of a plague. Where are all the 'many' fanmangas that supposedly exist? Are most of them pay-only or privately controlled? You'd think there'd be troves of them online, but there aren't. :?

User avatar
Akumaito Beam
Regular
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: Are there any completed fanmangas?

Post by Akumaito Beam » Wed May 18, 2011 7:22 am

I love Little Saiyalings myself. It's just a cute comedy strip that really never fails to make me laugh a lot of the time. It may not be exactly what you're looking for but I think it's worth checking out if you have some spare time. It doesn't have some big finale and just kinda petered out but it wasn't very story driven to begin with.

Edit: In hindsight you've probably heard of it. It is pretty old and was brought up a lot recently during the announcement of Dragon Ball SD. Well, just in case you haven't! :lol:
SuperForteX wrote:Where are all the 'many' fanmangas that supposedly exist? Are most of them pay-only or privately controlled?
They're usually just sold as actual books in Japan, so they're well...in Japanese. If you can't read the language it's hard to enjoy them fully for a lot of people even if you do shell out for a few. I've seen a couple with really fascinating premises that made me want buy them and I wouldn't even really consider myself a fan of this kind of thing.

You can check out an example of what I'm talking about here.These seem to all be romance based and that does seem like the primary genre you'll find but it's not the only genre.

User avatar
Great Saiyaman I
Regular
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:34 pm

Re: Are there any completed fanmangas?

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Wed May 18, 2011 8:38 am

Little Saiyalings wasn't so much completed as it was abandoned and never finished. I'm not really sure if you'll find one, many fancomics get started excitedly by an author making 5-10 pages a week and they burn out and quit work on it.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

User avatar
StarRot
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1076
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:19 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Are there any completed fanmangas?

Post by StarRot » Wed May 18, 2011 8:52 am

There’s hundreds of Dragonball doujinshi out there, though like Akumaito Beam said, you’d need to know Japanese to get the full enjoyment out of them. Though, I buy a lot of doujinshi purely for the art.
Also, I find most doujinshi are stand alone, single stories or a collection of short stories. It’s pretty usual to have a long running series.
A lot of doujinshi collectors are touchy about ruining their comics by scanning them, so if you want doujinshi, you'll probably have to buy them yourself.

User avatar
Akumaito Beam
Regular
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: Are there any completed fanmangas?

Post by Akumaito Beam » Wed May 18, 2011 8:57 am

StarRot wrote: A lot of doujinshi collectors are touchy about ruining their comics by scanning them, so if you want doujinshi, you'll probably have to buy them yourself.
While we're on the topic I would image many doujinshi get rare really quickly. I can't imagine these fan made comics are mass produced in huge quantities and periodically once they run low. So once "x" amount are snatched up that's pretty much it. Am I off base in thinking that?

User avatar
StarRot
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1076
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:19 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Are there any completed fanmangas?

Post by StarRot » Wed May 18, 2011 9:01 am

Akumaito Beam wrote:
StarRot wrote: A lot of doujinshi collectors are touchy about ruining their comics by scanning them, so if you want doujinshi, you'll probably have to buy them yourself.
While we're on the topic I would image many doujinshi get rare really quickly. I can't imagine these fan made comics are mass produced in huge quantities and periodically once they run low. So once "x" amount are snatched up that's pretty much it. Am I off base in thinking that?
For most doujinshi, that’s correct.
It’s expensive to print doujinshi, so most circles only do a limited run, mainly to sell at Comiket or on their website. Some circles will do reprints of popular titles, but for the most part if it’s gone, it’s gone so you need to buy from fellow collectors. Sometimes for extortionate prices.

SuperForteX
Banned
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Are there any completed fanmangas?

Post by SuperForteX » Wed May 18, 2011 10:56 pm

Yeah, I've heard of and read little Saiyalings... it also didn't end. It just kind of... left you hanging... from what I remember. It became somewhat plot driven with the 18 and Krillin thing and the whole hostile takeover of the school? I somewhat remember this... rather vaugely... I remember it just abruptly ending and leaving you hanging though... like all the others.

*deep sigh*
StarRot wrote:There’s hundreds of Dragonball doujinshi out there
*deeper sigh*

SuperForteX
Banned
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Are there any completed fanmangas?

Post by SuperForteX » Thu May 19, 2011 10:47 am

Well, I just got done re-reading Little Saiyalings. It was.. very nostalgic. It almost made me cry for how nostalgic it was, but anyway it was still a good read. I wantd to know what would happen if the story continued though. Krillin and #18 were about to start a romance, and Pud and Goku and Vegeta.. very good story, sigh I miss the old days.

User avatar
Godo
I Live Here
Posts: 3369
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:25 am

Re: Are there any completed fanmangas?

Post by Godo » Thu May 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Even though they are not completed, there are some pretty entertaining Dragonball fanmangas on Deviantart.com, and some shorter doujinshi.

Post Reply