Different GN versions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Different GN versions

Post by Adnan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:13 am

Two questions about the Graphic novels:

-Besides size, is there a difference between the older DBZ graphic novels and the new Shonen Jump versions?

-I heard that due to complaints about censorship, Viz is now releasing the novels uncensored. How can I tell which is the censored one and which isn't?

Thanks!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Different GN versions

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:03 pm

Adnan wrote:-Besides size, is there a difference between the older DBZ graphic novels and the new Shonen Jump versions?
There are a few minor textual changes, such as adding back in Gohan's "Masenkô" and changing Tenshinhan's attack back to "Kikôhô" (I believe both of these changes are in volume 5 of DBZ). Some of the title pages in the galleries have also been moved around, apparently due to tighter page-count restrictions in the smaller format. Other than that, the first 10 "Shonen Jump" DBZ graphic novels are essentially the same as the ones that preceded them.
-I heard that due to complaints about censorship, Viz is now releasing the novels uncensored. How can I tell which is the censored one and which isn't?
This only affects DB graphic novels, and was begun before the transition to the "Shonen Jump" line. The first 3 DB graphic novels (the big ones) were originally released censored, but due to complaints, they started releasing them uncensored starting with volume 4. They later released the first 3 uncensored, with a "recommended for ages 13 and up" label on the cover.

All of the DB "Shonen Jump" edition graphic novels are uncensored, but the DBZ ones (being rated "A" for some idiotic reason) are nominally censored. However, it's not really much of a problem until volume 17 or so; from then on, the dialogue is pretty well censored (with the introduction of Mr. Satan and the sudden refusal to allow "bad" words).

Hope that helps.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:30 pm

There are a few minor textual changes, such as adding back in Gohan's "Masenkô" and changing Tenshinhan's attack back to "Kikôhô" (I believe both of these changes are in volume 5 of DBZ).
Volume three, actually.

All of the DB "Shonen Jump" edition graphic novels are uncensored
Aside from Popo's lips. :D

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:36 pm

Domon wrote:
There are a few minor textual changes, such as adding back in Gohan's "Masenkô" and changing Tenshinhan's attack back to "Kikôhô" (I believe both of these changes are in volume 5 of DBZ).
Volume three, actually.
All of the DB "Shonen Jump" edition graphic novels are uncensored
Aside from Popo's lips. :D
Shush, you're stealing my thunder. :P
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:00 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Well I have Volume 18 (of DBZ)... Besides changing Mr Satan's name, are there any changes I should be aware of in that particular volume? Sorry if my question is too difficult! ^^;;

Btw, why can't I put Satan's english name in this forum? When previewing my post, it automatically changes it... Heh :)

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:07 pm

Adnan wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Well I have Volume 18 (of DBZ)... Besides changing Mr Satan's name, are there any changes I should be aware of in that particular volume? Sorry if my question is too difficult! ^^;;

Btw, why can't I put Satan's english name in this forum? When previewing my post, it automatically changes it... Heh :)
I asked the same question not long after I signed up. It's because the forum automatically changes names that aren't spelt properly (or are spelt the way Funi exclusivly spells them) to their proper forms. So names like 'F rieza' or 'T ien' or 'H ercule' are changed to Freeza, Tien, and Mr. Satan.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:23 pm

VIZ censored the Cell Game announcer flipping Cell off, making it a fist.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:40 pm

Ok, so are these Viz censorings in the "uncut" versions of the manga, or was there some point where they started releasing them all censored somewhat? I know that at least for some chapters, they had both the uncut and edited books.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:19 pm

Currently, there's only one, censored, version of english Dragon Ball Z manga. The first appearance of censorship was, as far as I've heard (I don't read the american translation), the change of #16's attack "Hell's Flash" to "Inferno Blast".

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:26 pm

If you look at the definition of "inferno," then Inferno Blast isn't that bad. But it's still censorship >_<

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Blastero » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:31 pm

8)
Last edited by Blastero on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:03 pm

And #17's gun. Which is pointless, really, because in the previous panel it shows him pulling it out, and the next one doesn't even show him shoot the poor guy. And there's guns and everything in other titles, such as One Piece.

So...basically it's "uncensored," but not entirely.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:48 pm

They really need to release ones that are completely unedited, and I'm surprised more people haven't complained about shady practices like this. Sounds like Viz got convinced before to release unedited ones though, so maybe they can do it again. (Of course, those were never labeled as uncut to begin with, to my knowledge).

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:59 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:VIZ censored the Cell Game announcer flipping Cell off, making it a fist.
Are you sure this is in Volume 18? Maybe you mean 17? If it indeed is in 18, which page?

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:16 am

tarsonis wrote:They really need to release ones that are completely unedited
Don't worry. I'm sure in a few years they'll release "Ultimate Uncut Special Editions" of the DBZ manga. Naturally, they'll fly off the shelves...

Seriously though, in the Shonen Jump magazines I can understand, but they even censor the GNs? I don't even buy from this company anymore and they still piss me off! I've said it before, and I'll say it again...if the content is too extreme for your publication, then don't purchase the damn series! You're supposed to purchase stuff based on what you think would be appropriate for your publications, and enjoyed by your readers. I'm tired of companies buying rights because they see a potential cash cow, and then altering the content to fit their standards.

I know this is an old and tired rant, but I think it still needs to be said every now and then. I'm tired of companies making decisions based on greed, and not out of the interest of the fans. Sheesh!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:44 am

Blastero wrote:
Ok, so are these Viz censorings in the "uncut" versions of the manga, or was there some point where they started releasing them all censored somewhat? I know that at least for some chapters, they had both the uncut and edited books.
They have censored in the "uncut" SJ Dragonball books. (so they can show boobs but not Mr. Popo's lips?) They have also censored all middle fingers in the DBZ books along with Mr. Popo's lips and whatnot.
You do realize that the reason they color in Mr. Popo's lips is the same reason certain old cartoons are forever banned from TV right?

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:06 am

On one of the DBZ title pages in volume 3, it looks like they forgot to censor Popo's lips >_<

Vaeran

Post by Vaeran » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:09 am

Adamant wrote:The first appearance of censorship was, as far as I've heard (I don't read the american translation), the change of #16's attack "Hell's Flash" to "Inferno Blast".
Wasn't Gohan's nudity also censored at the end of the Vegeta fight?

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:52 am

I don't seen any of that digital underwear-like stuff on his behind :P

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:34 am

I think they just covered his "little Saiyan" in some sort of way. Showing his butt is no big deal apparently.