What's the story with Gohan/Bulma/Frieza's VA's replacements

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What's the story with Gohan/Bulma/Frieza's VA's replacements

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:03 pm

I know Linda was let go because Sabat and Sean said why in that interview last year but I heard someone on here said she was in tears and it didn't end well. Basically she took getting replaced pretty hard. What's the story with that?

Also, why were Bulma and Gohan's VA's replaced? Again I heard Sabat got into a fight with the VA for Gohan but that can't be true can it? :?

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Re: What's the story with Gohan/Bulma/Freeza's VA's replacem

Post by GotenDaisuki » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:55 pm

All I know is that they let Linda go because Sabat thought she wouldn't be able to handle the new scripts and couldn't portray Freeza like he wanted.

I have no clue why they let the other two go. But, all in all, it was a good decision.
So mondo lame.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:22 pm

It was probably for the same reasons as Linda.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Nadolny and Vollmer were replaced because they don't work at FUNimation anymore. Plain and simple.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:32 pm

Puto wrote:Nadolny and Vollmer were replaced because they don't work at FUNimation anymore. Plain and simple.
They wanted to do other things. They got other jobs.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:46 pm

All that's important is that in all three cases, the new VAs are exponentially better in the roles than the previous ones.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:10 pm

cloud1414 wrote:
Puto wrote:Nadolny and Vollmer were replaced because they don't work at FUNimation anymore. Plain and simple.
They wanted to do other things. They got other jobs.
Neither case is true.

Unfortunately I can't say how I know--which is why I almost didn't comment--but for the sake of preventing the spreading of false rumors, I can say that it was not a case of not working at FUNimation anymore or them wanting to do other things.

PS: Technically speaking, none of the voice actors work "at" FUNimation. The technical term for voice actors would be "freelance contractors," that FUNi hires on a case-by-case basis. Legally speaking, voice actors aren't considered official employees.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Stephanie Nadolny actually told me in a PM 3 years ago on the Funi forums that she was planning on moving to California, so that's probably why she was replaced.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:15 pm

I kind of feel sorry for Linda. Her Freeza voice was bad, but.... ultimately the blame lies with the directors/higher-ups who ultimately decided on that voice.

Same with "Step Into the Grand Tour." Sure, they sing like goofy retards in the song but ultimately the blame lies with the higher-ups that decided they really wanted that kind of sound for DBGT.

In any case I think Sabat was the primary director for DBZ Season 3 so it was him and/or Watson. (or whoever else was directing back then)
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:28 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Stephanie Nadolny actually told me in a PM 3 years ago on the Funi forums that she was planning on moving to California, so that's probably why she was replaced.
Eh, Hebert and other actors live in California so I'm more willing to bet it was a case of Sabat simply not wanting to work with them anymore.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:34 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Stephanie Nadolny actually told me in a PM 3 years ago on the Funi forums that she was planning on moving to California, so that's probably why she was replaced.
Eh, Hebert and other actors live in California so I'm more willing to bet it was a case of Sabat simply not wanting to work with them anymore.
Well she said it in a way that suggested she was parting ways with Funi
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:00 pm

GS7X7 wrote:I kind of feel sorry for Linda. Her Freeza voice was bad, but.... ultimately the blame lies with the directors/higher-ups who ultimately decided on that voice.

Same with "Step Into the Grand Tour." Sure, they sing like goofy retards in the song but ultimately the blame lies with the higher-ups that decided they really wanted that kind of sound for DBGT.

In any case I think Sabat was the primary director for DBZ Season 3 so it was him and/or Watson. (or whoever else was directing back then)
Why on Earth would you feel bad for her? Linda is a millionaire now thanks to her work on DBZ. I'm sure she's fine.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:03 pm

tvfan721 wrote:
GS7X7 wrote:I kind of feel sorry for Linda. Her Freeza voice was bad, but.... ultimately the blame lies with the directors/higher-ups who ultimately decided on that voice.

Why on Earth would you feel bad for her? Linda is a millionaire now thanks to her work on DBZ. I'm sure she's fine.
There's no way she made that much from FUNi/DBZ. I always thought a Voice Actors pay was quite low. If she's been involved with other projects then she could be well off, but not from DBZ.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:04 pm

tvfan721 wrote:Why on Earth would you feel bad for her? Linda is a millionaire now thanks to her work on DBZ. I'm sure she's fine.
...........What? What are you basing that on? I dunno, maybe she is and there's something I don't know. However, I can guarantee you, beyond any doubt, that if there is any anime voice actor out there that's a millionaire (which is unlikely in and of itself), there's NO WAY she's a millionaire from her work on DBZ. Being a voice actor--period--is rarely a profession that goes into the 1 million + range, and if it does, it's after many, many, many high-profile jobs, not from overdubbing an anime. Overdubbing an anime is one of the lowest-paying fields of voice acting.

Agreed and then some. Yes, I do happen to prefer Chris Ayers, but I would NOT want to be the one tasked with firing Linda Young. That would have been really tough to do. One of my directors once told me that it's extremely hard on a personal level to re-cast someone, because you are essentially tasked with breaking someone's heart. And, as he put it, "It's just as much the fault of the person who cast them to begin with, if not more so."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Just to be fair to Linda if she ever reads this, I actually did like her voice prior to getting into the J. version.

It did sound really creepy and bizarro which kind of fit Freeza to me when I first saw it.

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:20 pm

The most likely reason they were replaced is that all three of those voices were terrible. Not only did they not fit the characters, they were just irritating voices to listen to in general. FUNimation has made a lot of mistakes with the property in the past, but they definitely made the right call in recasting those three characters in Dragonball Kai.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:48 pm

tvfan721 wrote: Why on Earth would you feel bad for her? Linda is a millionaire now thanks to her work on DBZ. I'm sure she's fine.
Nakao Ryusei isn't even a millionare from his voice work for Freeza.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:56 pm

Sadly there's usually little money in the anime dubbing business for VAs. Now, regular American cartoons? That's where the real money is. (especially Simpsons which is the king of highly-paid VAs)

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:04 pm

Well, it's definitely not hard to believe, considering the Amercian anime/manga industries have come crashing down for a few years now.
So mondo lame.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:49 pm

GS7X7 wrote:Sadly there's usually little money in the anime dubbing business for VAs. Now, regular American cartoons? That's where the real money is. (especially Simpsons which is the king of highly-paid VAs)
I'd say Simpsons is the rare exception because it's, well, The Simpsons, and they've been doing those voices for twenty years, have renegotiated their contracts many times, and have plenty of clout to do so. Other than that, I wouldn't consider American cartoon voicework to be that lucrative, unless you happen to be a pretty big name like Billy West or Frank Welker.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4