What is the best translation of Dragon Ball possible?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nex Carnifex
Banned

What is the best translation of Dragon Ball possible?

Post by Nex Carnifex » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:26 pm

I got the manga from viz but it just seems off, they try to make the language too cutesy a lot of the time, the one at manga reader seems better. IYO what is the best place to read Dragon Ball?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What is the best translation of Dragon Ball possible?

Post by Kendamu » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:31 pm

If you're insistent on reading Dragonball, learning Japanese is the best way. If you don't want to study away years of your life just for one comic, though, VIZ is really the only other way to go. Scanslations aren't really something we talk about around here.

If you'd like to watch Dragonball, the subtitled version is the best translation.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:35 pm

I don't really understand what you mean by you don't talk about scanslations, why not? I compared them to Herm's "tru" translations and they were more accurate than the viz manga's translations, way more accurate.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:42 pm

Because they're illegal, for one. And they're not necessarily better than Viz. In some places they're more accurate, in some places they have mistakes making them less accurate.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:43 pm

And why is viz the only other way to go when it isn't the only other way to go? Do you pretend like other translations don't exist or something?

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:57 pm

Goku says those ouches will not hurt me instead of my body is as strong as stainless steel in Viz, c'mon, the scans I saw were much more accurate to the original, even if they aren't official. I feel like Viz is insulting my intelligence because I'm reading a manga when I'm reading their translation. Like they'll replace serious statements with jokes about Hawaii, it is very stupid.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:03 am

Nex Carnifex wrote:I don't really understand what you mean by you don't talk about scanslations, why not? I compared them to Herm's "tru" translations and they were more accurate than the viz manga's translations, way more accurate.
I trademarked Tru.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:21 am

Uh, that's great, thanks for nothing

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:27 am

Nex Carnifex wrote:Uh, that's great, thanks for nothing
What do you want me to say? Unless you know Japanese, Viz is all there is. I can't vouch for the accuracy of other languages at all.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:35 am

Nex Carnifex wrote:And why is viz the only other way to go when it isn't the only other way to go? Do you pretend like other translations don't exist or something?
I guess you didn't read the rules:
RULE #7: NO BOOTLEGGING

We do not condone bootlegging. We do not want to hear about your bootleg DVDs. We do not want to hear about how many episodes you have downloaded. Yes, we can tell those screen-caps come from bootleg DVDs and/or ripping-groups' downloadable versions. We do not want to hear about how many V0/scene MP3s you have collected. When it comes down to it, DBZ has had a very rough uprising in various countries, but we are finally at the point where we can legally purchase many of the things we want and support our fandom. We recognize that there is a fine line with regard to things such as "unreleased" material, so just be wary and respectful of that line.
If you wanna read scans and watch fansubs, nobody stopping you or me from doing so. We just tend to keep talk of it off the forums.

Sorry to hear that the kids' manga is sounding like it's written with kids in mind, but there really isn't much that can be done.
(they/she)

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:35 am

The subtitles!

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:39 am

I can understand not being satisfied by the official translation. Despite personal translation preference Dragonball is licensed by VIZ and (as others have said) Daizex has a long history of not tolerating bootlegging in any fashion. In short, here is probably not the best place to try and find different scanlation websites.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:41 am

Yeah but if they're going to have all the adult shit like guns and boobs and penises and perversion then why not a bit more mature translation? According to the back its a teen kangaroo, not nessesarily a young kids manual, get yo facts straight.
Last edited by Nex Carnifex on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:44 am

Nex Carnifex wrote:Yeah but if they're going to have all the adult shit like guns and boobs and penises and perversion then why not a bit more mature translation?
Probably because immature nudity gags in a comedy/martial arts adventure about little boys beating each other up when there are no bad guys around doesn't come off as "mature" in the first place.
(they/she)

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:48 am

I think it's important to reiterate Dragon Ball was a kid's comic book and cartoon show in Japan from beginning to end. Cultural norms regarding the tolerance of things like nudity and weaponry vary from place to place so what may seem mundane to some parts of the world may not to others.

Edit: Which is why the English manga has a "Teen" rating. Japan in the 80's and America in 2011 are two very different places.
Last edited by Akumaito Beam on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:50 am

Kendamu wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Yeah but if they're going to have all the adult shit like guns and boobs and penises and perversion then why not a bit more mature translation?
Probably because immature nudity gags in a comedy/martial arts adventure about little boys beating each other up when there are no bad guys around doesn't come off as "mature" in the first place.
Well something about the more accurate ones were just funnier and seemed a bit less muddy and more sarcastic which is how it was intended. Stop obsessing over a show you don't even respect.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:52 am

First of all not all of those things are preserved in the first place.
Nex Carnifex wrote:According to the back its a teen kangaroo, not nessesarily a young kids manual, get yo facts straight.
Secondly, if I may borrow from another thread.
Freeza Heika wrote:
Adamant wrote:Just to prove this age rating thing once and for all:
...yeah.
DUDE! I had no idea Sailor Moon is fucking hardcore!
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:55 am

Sailor moon is a girl show

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:56 am

Nex Carnifex wrote:Sailor moon is a girl show
Okay? And?

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:57 am

Most "adult anime" uses the exact same humor anyway