During the DBZ Dub, did any countries name Kami as God?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

During the DBZ Dub, did any countries name Kami as God?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:31 pm

English: Kami/Guardian (FUNimation & God (UK Dub.)
German: Gott (God)
Italian: Supremo (Supreme)
Portuguese Brazil: Kami-sama
Portuguese Portugal: Todo Poderoso (Almighty)

If anyone knows more about this, I'd like to know, as it seems right now, only the German dub called Kami as God, I wish FUNimation's Dragon Ball Kai would've also named God than Guardian/Kami.

Mr. Mark (Mr. Satan) could've worked well than the H-word for the English Z Kai Nicktoons dub.
Last edited by dbboxkaifan on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: During the DBZ Dub, did any countries name Kami as God?

Post by Herms » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:46 pm

I remember Adamant quipping that every country with a cross in its flag called the character the local word for "God" and kept Mister Satan's name as-is in their manga translation.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:58 am

I don't remember that, but yes, that's quite true.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:45 am

Adamant wrote:I don't remember that, but yes, that's quite true.
In that case I guess I could have just taken credit for it, but sadly I found the source.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:13 am

Quite the entertaining thread.

So "every single country with crosses in their flags and a local translation of DB" means all of Scandinavia AFAIK.
I know it to be true in Denmark's case at least.

EDIT:
... I can't believe I forgot about the UK Big Green dub. Well the UK also has a cross in its flag, so it falls under the above description as well.
Last edited by dbgtFO on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cw7lI80 ... plpp_video

AB Group went with God for their non-US English dubs. The line "Good Lord, it's God!" sounds meme-worthy.

biohazard
Not-So-Newbie

Post by biohazard » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:07 am

In the Catalan dub he's called "Tot Poderós" (Almighty?), "Déu" (God) or "Déu de la Terra" (Earth's God)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:22 am

Thanks guys, this information you've given is quite interesting.

I did quite like that video of Garlic Jr. "Good lord! It's God!". :P

Question, the UK Dub of the DBZ series was Ocean Dub? So, Ocean Dub also named Kami as God?

BioHazard @ Yup, that's right.

Tot Poderós" (Almighty), "Déu" (God) or "Déu de la Terra" (Earth's God)

Another interesting note Catalán used three different terms for Kami. :)
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:13 am

The AB Groupe movie dubs were -not- done by Ocean, in spite of allegedly using their credits.

Ocean did the dubs of the Pioneer releases, where the terminology matched what FUNi had established at the time. (Kami-sama was Kami, Kintoun was Flying Nimbus, Kame-sennin was Master Roshi.)

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:00 pm

AB Groupe's English dub wasn't made in the UK. Listening to their voices, it's pretty obvious. And they didn't illegally use Ocean's credits... It was Geneon/FUNimation who they stole from. Although, I believe the Westwood dub was done in association with AB Groupe. They even used an English version of their theme song for Dragon Ball.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:03 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:AB Groupe's English dub wasn't made in the UK. Listening to their voices, it's pretty obvious. And they didn't illegally use Ocean's credits... It was Geneon/FUNimation who they stole from. Although, I believe the Westwood dub was done in association with AB Groupe. They even used an English version of their theme song for Dragon Ball.
You know, even if the voice actors aren't English, it could still have been made in the UK.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:31 pm

In the Greek dub, Mr. Satan stayed as Mr. Satan. As for Kami, I'm not sure, it's been 10 years since I watched it, but I thik he was called "God of the Earth"(Ο Θεός της Γης).
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:35 pm

In Poland, he is called Wszechmogacy (Almighty)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:11 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:In the Greek dub, Mr. Satan stayed as Mr. Satan. As for Kami, I'm not sure, it's been 10 years since I watched it, but I thik he was called "God of the Earth"(Ο Θεός της Γης).
I feel like this could be/should be his name in the English dub. It references he's a God, but, doesn't feel like it's crossing religious territory. I personally believe in God and Jesus and stuff; but, I have no problem with character being called God. Especially when it's contained within the story. And God of Earth leaves the idea open that he's important; but, there's more above him.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:35 am

sangofe wrote:You know, even if the voice actors aren't English, it could still have been made in the UK.
The voice actress for Lunch most certainly lives in France. It would make more sense for it to be dubbed there. If anything, it would make more sense if it was dubbed it the Netherlands than the UK since that's where most of the movies were released. I dunno... It's all just assumption, I suppose. :/
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

dr_raichi

Post by dr_raichi » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:14 am

In the French version, Kami is name as "Très-haut" or "Dieu".