Techincally Kai is completely pointless.

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Techincally Kai is completely pointless.

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:49 pm

The whole purpose of Kai was that it would be the Dragon Ball anime 100% like the manga but they still kept some filler and removed some actual stuff that was in the manga. Since they did that, what's the point to any of this? They can't actually say that Kai is filler free and kept exactly like the manga. Since it's not compleltely accurate like it should be, it makes Kai serve no point really. It's a shame too cause it had so much potential.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Techincally Kai is completely pointless.

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:07 pm

tvfan721 wrote:The whole purpose of Kai was that it would be the Dragon Ball anime 100% like the manga but they still kept some filler and removed some actual stuff that was in the manga. Since they did that, what's the point to any of this? They can't actually say that Kai is filler free and kept exactly like the manga. Since it's not compleltely accurate like it should be, it makes Kai serve no point really. It's a shame too cause it had so much potential.
It's still closer to the manga. Even with small amounts of filler left in and small amounts of canon material removed, it's much closer than Z ever was. Just because you got a 96% on a project and not 100% doesn't mean you failed.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:21 pm

I think it's just that Kai was edited so that it resembles the manga more than DBZ does. And I guess that holds true when you go through the general outline of the show (besides the missing ending), but I definitely feel like I'm just watching a strange iteration of Z when I watch Kai. It's probably the constant barrage of redrawn stuff that ruins the illusion more than anything else.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
tvfan721 wrote:The whole purpose of Kai was that it would be the Dragon Ball anime 100% like the manga but they still kept some filler and removed some actual stuff that was in the manga. Since they did that, what's the point to any of this? They can't actually say that Kai is filler free and kept exactly like the manga. Since it's not compleltely accurate like it should be, it makes Kai serve no point really. It's a shame too cause it had so much potential.
It's still closer to the manga. Even with small amounts of filler left in and small amounts of canon material removed, it's much closer than Z ever was. Just because you got a 96% on a project and not 100% doesn't mean you failed.
Yes, it is a fail because you still end up with the same result as Z. It's like saying Season 4 of the English dub is better than Season 3, who cares when both seasons still suck in terms of dubbing.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:45 pm

tvfan721 wrote:Yes, it is a fail because you still end up with the same result as Z. It's like saying Season 4 of the English dub is better than Season 3, who cares when both seasons still suck in terms of dubbing.
So if you improve something, but don't make it perfect, then nobody cares? You might think that way, but I don't think everyone does. Frankly, if it weren't for some of the odd redrawn bits and the missing ending, I'd prefer to watch Kai over Z just for the better pace and the fact that it would take much less time to get through.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:07 pm

Have you ever watched the Namek arc of the original Z anime? The Kai version covers all of it in about half the time.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:12 pm

tvfan721 wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Yes, it is a fail because you still end up with the same result as Z. It's like saying Season 4 of the English dub is better than Season 3, who cares when both seasons still suck in terms of dubbing.
From the time Goku arrives on Namek until he defeats Freeza in Kai is 23 episodes. In Z, it's 40 episodes. How is that the same result.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Kai became pointless to me after it was confirmed it wasn't going to cover the Buu arc. What's the point in watching an incomplete series? Like or hate the Buu arc it is part of the story. You can't just ignore it.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Codarik wrote:Kai became pointless to me after it was confirmed it wasn't going to cover the Buu arc. What's the point in watching an incomplete series? Like or hate the Buu arc it is part of the story. You can't just ignore it.
Wouldn't that logic make Dragon Ball or Z pointless by themselves?
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Ani-Nation7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ani-Nation7 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:19 pm

What's the point of Kai? We only got the Saiyan-End of Cell arc with 90% of the filler cut and a superior English Dub. I mean it's just impossible to buy the Buu Saga separately.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:21 am

Want to see DBZ without filler? READ THE MANGA!!!
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:57 am

I think the Japanese version is pointless. But, as far as Dragon Ball Z Kai is concerned, it gave America (and other regions in the World) the chance to get a new, more faithful dub of DBZ without actually being DBZ.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:06 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
I think the Japanese version is pointless. But, as far as Dragon Ball Z Kai is concerned, it gave America (and other regions in the World) the chance to get a new, more faithful dub of DBZ without actually being DBZ.
I dunno. DBZ is incredibly slow, good dub or not.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:23 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
I dunno. DBZ is incredibly slow, good dub or not.
I agree completely on that. Even without Kai, Z had little rewatchability from me thanks to long, boring filler. Thanks to Kai, I can enjoy Kai without bearing long filler and a great dub to boot, so it kinda succeds on that, even without the Majin Boo saga.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:15 am

tvfan721 wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Yes, it is a fail because you still end up with the same result as Z. .
You haven't watched kai, have you? Even if it isn't completely like the manga, Kai is a world of difference from Z in terms of pacing.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:41 pm

I don't think they were aiming to make DBK to be exactly like the manga. It's definitely closer to the manga than DBZ was. They could only work with what they had. I think if they wanted to make a series exactly like the manga, they would have to start from scratch.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:02 pm

That's rather absurd. Just because it didn't completely extinguish every last second of filler, it's a total failure? Huh?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:46 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Codarik wrote:Kai became pointless to me after it was confirmed it wasn't going to cover the Buu arc. What's the point in watching an incomplete series? Like or hate the Buu arc it is part of the story. You can't just ignore it.
Wouldn't that logic make Dragon Ball or Z pointless by themselves?
Sure, but they were never by themsrlves. Z started airing one week after DB. Considering it takes months to make one episode of the show, I'd say it was a predetermined idea to split them up.

Kai was cancelled.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:07 pm

B wrote:Sure, but they were never by themsrlves. Z started airing one week after DB. Considering it takes months to make one episode of the show, I'd say it was a predetermined idea to split them up.

Kai was cancelled.
Well then I could just watch the Boo arc afterwards if I so desired after Kai. Same with pre-Saiyan arc material. Does it really take that much effort? DB and Z are treated as separate series, but they're still watched in conjunction, why can't we treat Kai the same way?
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 pm

It felt more seamless than the original DBZ (as much as I like filler- see my sig) and more in line with the manga. I'd say that makes it a success.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin