Do you prefer to watch Dragon Ball on Blu-ray or DVD?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Do you prefer to watch Dragon Ball on Blu-ray or DVD?

Post by Aoi » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:01 pm

I was just wondering. It seems these days people are more than ever obsessed with preserving television shows when they are presented with brighter colours and less grain.
After buying the Level 1.1 version of the Blu Ray series, I actually think that I've undervalued my older DVDs as of late. I'm starting to feel that the series sort of loses its charm in HD. It still looks amazing though.

This is a nice comparison I found online of DBZ KAI - Blu Ray vs. DVD:

What are your opinions? Will you eventually replace your entire Dragon Ball collection on Blu Ray? Only certain portions? It seems a bit expensive to transfer everything over.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Do you prefer to watch Dragon Ball on Blu Ray or DVD?

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:03 pm

I'd prefer it all on Blu-ray, but to be honest, I'm in no rush. While it may look better in HD, let's be honest, there's not a lot of detail, if any to be gained, and the animation quality isn't exactly Disney. Next time I order stuff off of Amazon, though, I'll pick up 1.1 and 1.2.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:39 pm

DVD: Dragon Box Z
Blu-ray: Dragon Ball Z Kai

This isn't a contest of Blu-ray Vs. DVD, but rather a preference of where to watch it on.

Z Kai Part 8 sure is taking a long time to be released.

Though, generally if the series/film has been remastered in 1080p HD on Blu-ray, I definitely prefer Blu-ray over DVD, but when it comes down to anime things don't look so bright.
Will you eventually replace your entire Dragon Ball collection on Blu-ray?
Nope.

Aoi, are you doing some kind of research about Dragon Ball fans?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:50 pm

DVD for DBZ. DBZ was never meant to be on HD Blu-ray.

If I want HD DBZ then watch DB Kai on Blu-ray.

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:51 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:DVD: Dragon Box Z
Blu-ray: Dragon Ball Z Kai

This isn't a contest of Blu-ray Vs. DVD, but rather a preference of where to watch it on.

Z Kai Part 8 sure is taking a long time to be released.

Though, generally if the series/film has been remastered in 1080p HD on Blu-ray, I definitely prefer Blu-ray over DVD, but when it comes down to anime things don't look so bright.
Will you eventually replace your entire Dragon Ball collection on Blu-ray?
Nope.

Aoi, are you doing some kind of research about Dragon Ball fans?
No, but I have always been fascinated by how this series managed to branch off to so many "Versions" when talking about the English dub. I've spoken to countless people, have read so many articles. Truly, again, I'm fascinated that for so many English speakers : "Dragon Ball Z" means something different to so many people.

With this question ...well...it stemmed from a few friends of mine who are massive anime collectors. A few among them refuse to buy Blu Rays for a few reasons. I wanted to know what people on this board thought.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:53 pm

email2003 wrote:DVD for DBZ. DBZ was never meant to be on HD Blu-ray.
Or on home video.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:57 pm

Well so far I have enjoyed DVD's but after seeing the level sets and the movies on Blu-Ray defiantly gotta go with Blu-Ray. But either one is fine with me.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:22 am

I don't really prefer one format over another. All I care about is being able to view the show uncut, with the Japanese audio, title cards, credits and next-episode previews intact.
-Joey

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:23 am

I usually go for Blu-ray but for the mean time, it would be DVD as I don't really like the look of FUNimation's masters anymore as well as the lack of japanese opening/ending credits, title cards and previews. But until a day ever came where Toei released a Blu-ray version using the original masters, I'll stick with the Dragon Boxes.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:42 am

While I admit it's been awhile since I've watched any of my DB/Z dvds, don't the DB ones have the opening or ending credits in Japanese? I think the movies did while Z might've had some, or just clean credits, but as I said, it's been awhile.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:15 am

DVD.

I watch them upscaled on the Blu-Ray player and I tell you the Dragon Boxes look STUNNING.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:46 am

I prefer watching the series on VHS/Betamax because now I care about the audio quality rather than the picture. You know, I'm not claiming that video tapes essentially sound better. I'm talking about the audio source.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:09 am

kei17 wrote:I prefer watching the series on VHS/Betamax because now I care about the audio quality rather than the picture. You know, I'm not claiming that video tapes essentially sound better. I'm talking about the audio source.
You're such a PIMP kei :D
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Jawdrahb
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jawdrahb » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:52 am

I really don't mind the format, I'm specifically concerned with the overall presentation and preservation of the original airing so...Dragon Box DVDs until Pony Canyon n' Toei release blu-rays. On a side note, I'd love to see those Z VHS fansubs. Anyone with duplicates or willing to let any go, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:49 am

Jawdrahb wrote:On a side note, I'd love to see those Z VHS fansubs.
Daizenshuu EX wrote:Original Japanese Dialogue:
"Sonna sugata ni made narihatete, yoku ome-ome Chikyû made korareta mon' da... waza-waza korosareru tame ni."
Sorry for getting off-topic, but I just found a mistake on that page. The dialogue must be "Sonna sugata ni made narihatete, yoku ome-ome to Chikyû made korareta mon' da... waza-waza korosareru tame ni." So, please correct it, Mike. :)

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:04 am

DVD of course. I always watch everything on my laptop nowadays, unless I have company.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:04 am

kei17 wrote:I prefer watching the series on VHS/Betamax because now I care about the audio quality rather than the picture. You know, I'm not claiming that video tapes essentially sound better. I'm talking about the audio source.
Dragon Ball was never a high quality animated series, so I'd agree with you preferring the audio quality over video.

If only Toei Animation would accept your/whoever Japanese Broadcast Audio and use on their DBZ Blu-ray release in a few years.

Still, I'm truly happy about owning all seven Dragon Boxes (FUNimation Edition), the video quality's top notch and the muffled audio's v/good depending on the audio equipment, imo.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:05 pm

For me it would have to be DVD. Since I can watch Dragon Ball on my Xbox 360 and netbook with a external DVD player. I just prefer DVD a lot more than Bluray.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:23 pm

That's funny because when I watch a couple episodes from the Dragon-Box on my Xbox360 It freezes up and skips but when I put it on my Blu-Ray player they play fine? why is that?
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:33 pm

samuraix123 wrote:That's funny because when I watch a couple episodes from the Dragon-Box on my Xbox360 It freezes up and skips but when I put it on my Blu-Ray player they play fine? why is that?
Have you updated the dashboard of your Xbox 360?

Blu-ray Players should have no problem reading DVD's unless they're region locked. Or the laser is screwed, or the firmware's out of date.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray