How was the BLT dub? (dragonball 1995)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

elcrunkus

How was the BLT dub? (dragonball 1995)

Post by elcrunkus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:09 pm

How was the 1995 dragonball dub? is it worth checking out? is peter berrings music score any good?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: How was the BLT dub? (dragonball 1995)

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Could you share a sample/video to know what this is about?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:34 pm

It's just FUNimation's first dub attempt of the series back in 1995 that is being referred to (first 13 episodes and first movie).

BLT (or was it BTL...?) was the actual studio it was recorded in conjunction with. The cast was the typical "Ocean" cast we are family with, but unlike DBZ, it wasn't actually recorded at Ocean.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:45 pm

Voices are good. Script is somewhat accurate, and sometimes the more inappropriate jokes are rewritten, but are sometimes funny. Though, it's nowhere near as accurate as the Kai dub. Music seems, from what I've heard, very generic. Like it doesn't try much. I was gonna start a thread about his music, but I figure this a good-enough place for that. Has a killer theme song though. Censorship is pretty bad, like really-shaky underwear are added to Goku in the first episode and Oolong now changes into dollar bills instead of underwear. The good thing, though, is that characters can actually die. I think they tend to stay away from it, but I remember Pilaf shouting "die, die, die". At least they're not blasted into the next dimension.

elcrunkus

Post by elcrunkus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:14 pm

I heard that kidmark or whoever it was that had the video distribution rights keep renewing it up until a couple years ago. Is this true? Can this dub be obtained by dvd?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:20 pm

elcrunkus wrote:I heard that kidmark or whoever it was that had the video distribution rights keep renewing it up until a couple years ago. Is this true? Can this dub be obtained by dvd?
Yes it can. They were renewing it up until 2009, when FUNimation got the rights.

elcrunkus

Post by elcrunkus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:35 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
elcrunkus wrote:I heard that kidmark or whoever it was that had the video distribution rights keep renewing it up until a couple years ago. Is this true? Can this dub be obtained by dvd?
Yes it can. They were renewing it up until 2009, when FUNimation got the rights.
Why did they keep renewing it? Profitability?

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:51 pm

elcrunkus wrote:Why did they keep renewing it? Profitability?
My understanding was it always sold relatively well for them.

It was always worth waking up early to see pre the VHS and DVDs.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

atm5508
Beyond Newbie

Post by atm5508 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:24 pm

I love this dub! It might be nostalgia on my part (first way I saw Dragon Ball), but I would definitely say that this is worth checking out.

Oh, and I do enjoy the score, although not as much as the original Japanese score. The theme song is the highlight musically.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:52 pm

atm5508 wrote:I love this dub! It might be nostalgia on my part (first way I saw Dragon Ball), but I would definitely say that this is worth checking out.

Oh, and I do enjoy the score, although not as much as the original Japanese score. The theme song is the highlight musically.
I think there's a podcast outtake with me singing it now that I think about it...
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:32 pm

I kinda found it funny how they were able to make direct references to death here, but not on Z except for saying "Destroy" and "Finish off" occasionally. Something I thought was kind of interesting also was that little Chi Chi is voiced by an actual young girl named Andrea Libman who was about 11 years old at the time, and also voiced Penny in the dub of "Curse of the Blood Rubies". Censorwise, some things were done better by Funimation in 2001 like naked Goku with a strange flower on him, and them cutting Yamcha konking Chi Chi by cutting to Puar, hearing a slap and a scream. (Funimation kept the konk and implied Goku was nude, but didn't show him). Though it did keep the scene of Oolong peeing on himself. It is weird hearing Puar with a slight British accent though, and funny in hindsight as around its premiere, another Toei anime premiered in the US that also had a cat with a British accent.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:54 am

The BLT dub is my favorite dub of those early episodes... yeah, I said it. :) It has some very clever re-writes for when the dialogue becomes too racy; the second episode still manages to be especially funny, with Goku and Bulma's conversation about lacking a tail taking over the 'butt on your chest' joke. A lot of it is the delivery, and I think only Colleen Clinkenbeard's Goku and Monica's Bulma match/surpass the one in this dub.

It was a syndicated dub, meaning that it aired with less stringent rules around it and at any time stations wanted.

This was the commercial that they aired early on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YNgbwYYxyw
(Note the time it aired in my area... 6AM! This was during a 5AM airing of Sailor Moon!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kEOXQwigw4
(Better quality)

As for 'death,' Dragon Ball is far less violent in these early episodes. It doesn't have the revolving door of people dying like in Z, so they had less issue talking about it. It seems to be that when there's no actual threat of people dying in the dub it's okay to talk about dying. Talking about death only seemed to become a problem for Z itself when people started to actually die in the Ocean Dub, for instance.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:54 am

It's been awhile, but here's what I remember - I'm not about to write an essay, so if you can stomach lists, here's one.

The Good:
-The voicework is pretty solid. I wasn't crazy about their Oolong, but Oolong in English ... well he's never been especially good. I remember liking Yamcha's and Bulma's voices especially (the Bulma from the series, not the movie. That was a different lady.) You can find some comparisons here but the website mainly focuses on the voices from Z.
-Some of the music outside of the main theme is pretty good. It's no match for the Kikuchi score, but it's certainly serviceable similar to the Levy dub music for the Z dub.
-That theme song. At first I hated it, but it's really grown on me. Really captures the spirit of adventure.
-All right... how they got around the no-panties joke is pretty funny. At least, when they get back to the house.

The Bad:
-Some of the visual edits didn't fare very well. Whenever they sped up the footage (for time cuts I would assume), it really stood out. And the underwear as mentioned above.
-Not every voice was good. Kid Chi-Chi's voice is really, really grating.
-It ends leaving you wanting more...

In my opinion the good would outweigh the bad by far... if we didn't have the uncut FUNi redub with the Kikuchi score. Some of the voicework is a little more raw and unrefined, and the dialogue is still occasionally sanitized, but it's still closer to the Japanese version.
Last edited by bkev on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:01 am

elcrunkus wrote:How was the 1995 dragonball dub? is it worth checking out? is peter berrings music score any good?
Funny you should bring this dub up out of no where. I just recently uploaded one of my favorite lines from that dub on Twitpic...

http://twitpic.com/8g726e

When you watch the later FUNimation dub of the same episodes and hear the same dialog, you can really see how much better the previous dub studio delivered the lines.

I didn't think the Peter Berrings music was great but, it's a lot better than the Falconer score. It's watchable at least. This dub was the first time I got to see Dragon Ball. Before this it was just all fan-subs of random DBZ episodes. I had no idea this wasn't the original music. I actually bought the soundtrack for nostalgia.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:23 am

Also, yeah, I love the theme song myself. The footage is an utterly bizarre mishmash of Blood Rubies and episodes (and you can really see the 35 -> 16mm film changes), but it's super catchy. Much moreso than Rock the Dragon in my opinion.

My biggest problem with Funi's redub is I don't like their kid Goku voice or their Bulma voice. Nothing against the actresses; the woman who played Goku was very kind when I ran into her one time a long time ago.

Also, yes, the digital editing on the BLT dub is pretty bad. Of course, this was all before the days of After Effects and easy/cheap motion tracking. I think the worst offender is the Dragon symbol superimposed onto Oolong's panties. It just jumps around so much due to the film weave.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:27 am

bkev wrote:.
-Not every voice was good. Kid Chi-Chi's voice is really, really grating.
Well, she was 11 at the time, which also explains why she wasn't in Z. Think she got better as she got older as Pinkie and Fluttershy?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:39 am

Just popped in the DVD to look at the edits cause I was pretty sure they missed a spot and showed Goku's balls. It was actually his ass they missed.

But hey, check this out. The end credits actually credit some people from the Japanese version...

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:00 am

The dub is bad. Saffron Henderson makes Goku sound smart and polite(in which he's not BTW, even Stephanie Nadonly did a better job. Ironic isn't it?) and Bulma is annoying(not as much as Rial or Vollmer.) Also it's censored.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz
'Let's hold off on the trophy Majin Boo!' Brad Swaile as Teen Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/ My channel RenewedTenjin.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:15 am

The 1995 dub will always hold a special place in my heart.