Original Toei Color REVENGE! (Potentially image heavy)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Original Toei Color REVENGE! (Potentially image heavy)

Post by Haseowolf » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:40 pm

So I decided to give something a whirl back in 2010 and I don't think I ever shared it with the internet masses. What better time than now?

Remember all those anime scenes with characters that hadn't had proper colors yet? Okay, maybe there weren't so many, but Vegeta definitely stands out as an example. So that's what I did. I took a shot from Movie 6 and revamped his colors back to the eye-tickling orange and greens from his first appearance in the TV anime.

Anyone else wanna give the same treatment to other characters? Majin Boo I know has a different coloring in the manga, as does Kaioshin.

Anyways, at least enjoy this little piccur.
Last edited by Haseowolf on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Original TOEI Color REVENGE! (Potentially image heavy)

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Haseowolf wrote:Majin Boo I know has a different coloring in the manga, as does Kaioshin.
Kaioshin is only different on the kanzenban covers, not the actual color artwork from the original run of the manga. Not sure what you're referring to with Boo.

There's no reason to capitalize all the letters in "Toei".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Re: Original TOEI Color REVENGE! (Potentially image heavy)

Post by Haseowolf » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Herms wrote: Kaioshin is only different on the kanzenban covers, not the actual color artwork from the original run of the manga. Not sure what you're referring to with Boo.
I guess with Boo I was thinking along these lines. Not as different as Vegeta's were handled, but still:

Some other pics I'd like to try out, unless someone else is wanting to tackle them would be stuff like this:

[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Re: Original Toei Color REVENGE! (Potentially image heavy)

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:15 pm

Yeah, Gohan was wearing green instead of purple/blue.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Yeah, Gohan was wearing green instead of purple/blue.
He was like that only in Saiyan arc though. It changed to purple in Namek arc.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:27 pm

Haha, that looks great. I'm actually a fan of Vegeta's wrong color scheme. Why didn't you change his hair-color, though? That would certainly complete the look.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Haha, that looks great. I'm actually a fan of Vegeta's wrong color scheme. Why didn't you change his hair-color, though? That would certainly complete the look.
The hair color seems changed to me. It's not black.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:18 am

Hmm. Maybe it's tinted a bit. I'm not sure. But it's definitely not the shockingly reddish brown it was in those episodes. Again, not that I'm trying to diminish the job Haseowolf did because the outfit looks awesome.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:29 am

ImageImage
Nah, it's OK I think.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:18 pm

No offense, but I don't think that's very good. There are parts with the original images colors all around the edges.

I decided to try and do this myself, and here's the result of about 30 minutes of work:
(click for full size)

This also reminds me that I think I've seen a similar edit of this very shot putting him in the same mis-colored outfit.

Also, here's Gohan in his Saiyan-arc manga colors:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:37 pm

I still don't get why they used that particular and gross color combination with Vegeta to begin with. Sure, it's all right that his hair color was chosen to be brown, but the rest of the armor more or less looks like some random colors thrown together. Or maybe they had carrots in mind?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:07 pm

Godo wrote:I still don't get why they used that particular and gross color combination with Vegeta to begin with. Sure, it's all right that his hair color was chosen to be brown, but the rest of the armor more or less looks like some random colors thrown together. Or maybe they had carrots in mind?
I dunno, but I like the way the orange and navy blue to together. I also think the red/brown hair looks good. Maybe it would look better if the armor was white, or light blue with white trim (keeping with the two-toned armor).

(example removed to save bandwidth)

On another note, I might do Yajirobe next.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:46 pm

Eh. Maybe just white, orange and brown hair.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:49 pm

I'd love to see Krillin with white eyes.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Eh. Maybe just white, orange and brown hair.
Aww... But that's not much different to the actual colors! That's no fun! :cry:
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:I'd love to see Krillin with white eyes.
Watch Dragonball?
Metalwario64 wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:Eh. Maybe just white, orange and brown hair.
Aww... But that's not much different to the actual colors! That's no fun! :cry:
Sorry to rain on your parade :lol:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:I'd love to see Krillin with white eyes.
Here, I have one of Kulilin and one with both him and Yajirobe. Both are just images I had laying around:

Here's mis-colored Vegeta with white armor:
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Looks way better with the white armour.

Hey, Yajirobi is wearing his manga outfit :O

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:58 pm

I always thought the brown hair worked for Vegeta but the armor color was horrendous. That said, I'm enjoying checking out these mock-ups of what could have been! The green outfit for Gohan in the Saiyan saga actually looks quite fitting.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Another one of incorrectly colored Vegeta, this time with incorrectly colored Nappa:
bkev wrote:I always thought the brown hair worked for Vegeta but the armor color was horrendous.
Guess Nappa agrees with you: