Whats the most unpredictable and shocking saga?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Whats the most unpredictable and shocking saga?

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:59 am

And by saga, I don't mean just DBZ, I mean saga in all 3 series'. I'll basicly split it like this (this is a mere "in your guys' opinion" question):

Pilaf Saga (DB 1 - 13)

Tournament Saga (DB 14 - 28 )

Red Ribbon Arc (DB 29 - 68 )

Fortune Teller Baba Saga (DB 69 - 78 )

Tien Saga (DB 79 - 101)

Piccolo Arc (DB 102 - 153

Saiyan Saga (DBZ 1 - 35)

Freeza Arc (DBZ 36 - 107)

Garlic Jr. Saga (DBZ 108 - 117)

Android Arc (DBZ 118 - 194)

Great Saiyaman Saga (DBZ 195 - 218)

Buu Arc (DBZ 219 - 291)

Blackstar Dragonballs Saga (GT 1 - 16)

Bebi Saga (GT 17 - 40)

Super 17 Saga (GT 41 - 47)

Dark Dragons Arc (GT 48 - 64)

And there ya go, the entire Dragonball Trilogy shown in 16 sagas/arcs, feel free to choose which one you found the most unpredictable. Mine personally is the Buu Arc. I mean, first time seeing it, I was very surprised by the events to say the least. Buu surviving Vegeta's Ultimate Suicide, Goku bringing SSJ3 seemingly out of no-where, the aspect that Saiyans could do Fusions, Buu actually becoming a good guy simply because killing bugged Hercule, and Gohan's death with Earth's destruction was the most shocking. I sorta knew that Goku would use a Genki-dama to finish Buu when the whole bringing Earth back plan was employed, but I'd say the Buu Arc before the fight on Kaioshin's planet was the most unpredictable. I mean Goku letting his sons die over Hercule and Dende, then not shedding a single tear, that made me gain a certain dislike for Goku. But over-all, I'd say the Buu Arc is IMO the most unpredictable and shocking of the trilogy.
14 years later

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:40 pm

I would have to say...well, it's hard. To me, every story arc in Z was pretty shocking. Son Goku being an alien, Super Saiyans, Goku being stalked for half his life, time travel, surpassing Super Saiyan, and all that jazz. But I would have to agree with you on the Buu story arc being the most unpredictable. There's just so many things going on--new transformations abound, main characters die, Earth blows up...

Just when you think things can't any crazier, they do.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:09 pm

Couldn't this have been a poll?

Anyway, Toriyama had to step it up every time he went further in the story...so of course the Boo Saga takes the cake.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:35 pm

I'd say it was the Buu Saga, as well. It was so random that it seemed that Toriyama-sama was pulling stuff out of his ass.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:27 pm

I agree with the previous two replies on the Buu saga. But part of the reason its one of my favorites is because of all the randomness that takes place.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:30 pm

The S wrote:I'd say it was the Buu Saga, as well. It was so random that it seemed that Toriyama-sama was pulling stuff out of his ass.
That's because he pretty much was just pulling stuff out of his ass. What do you expect when everyone wants you to continue and you have no more ideas?

For me, I'd say that every saga was unpredictable and I'd say that Toriyama did a good job of that. Each saga presented a different part of the story in its own way. 8)
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:01 pm

If anything, the most unpredictable saga was the Garlic Jr saga, because it was entirely filler :P
But seriously, I'd say the Buu Saga as well. So random :wink:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:40 pm

Boo saga. Because Skinny + Fat = Strong, whereas Strong - Fat = Chibi. IT EVEN DEFIED BASIC MATHEMATICS!!!! :x
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:16 pm

Dayspring wrote:Boo saga. Because Skinny + Fat = Strong, whereas Strong - Fat = Chibi. IT EVEN DEFIED BASIC MATHEMATICS!!!! :x
Exactly! I mean, shouldn't Strong - Fat = Skinny? :shock:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:22 pm

Son Goku wrote:
Dayspring wrote:Boo saga. Because Skinny + Fat = Strong, whereas Strong - Fat = Chibi. IT EVEN DEFIED BASIC MATHEMATICS!!!! :x
No, because Skinny doesn't exist. That was just a manifestation of Buu's evil, not Buu himself.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:24 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
Son Goku wrote:
No, because Skinny doesn't exist. That was just a manifestation of Buu's evil, not Buu himself.
Oh, never mind then...

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:48 pm

A lot of super-unpredicatable stuff happens in the Boo saga, I'll admit... but even so, the Boo saga's my least favorite of them all. I'n my humble opinion, it only gets good once Boo becomes Kid Boo.
But my personal all-time favorite shocker is the appearance of Cell. I mean, really, just think of how creepy that is that he just comes out of nowhere!
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:59 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
Son Goku wrote:
Ok. But if Strong is a result of said manifestation absorbing Fat, then losing Fat would result in said manifestation. It WAS random. That was the point of Chibi's appearance and the cause of the surprise of everybody. If one plus two equals three, three minus one does NOT equal seven! So when seven shows up, dramatic effect is made! :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:21 pm

Dayspring wrote:
MyVisionity wrote:
Son Goku wrote: Exactly! I mean, shouldn't Strong - Fat = Skinny? :shock:
Ok. But if Strong is a result of said manifestation absorbing Fat, then losing Fat would result in said manifestation. It WAS random. That was the point of Chibi's appearance and the cause of the surprise of everybody. If one plus two equals three, three minus one does NOT equal seven! So when seven shows up, dramatic effect is made! :P
THANK YOU! That is EXACTLY what I meant!
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:52 pm

To answer the topic... the Buu saga, definately.

As for your math, Dayspring, it's flawed. You don't have the full equation. It's Kid Buu + Dai Kaioshin and North(right?) Kaioshin = Fat Buu. Fat Buu - Evil = Skinny Buu. Skinny Buu + Fat Buu = Super Buu. Super Buu - Fat Buu = Kid Buu. Now, how? Easy. He didn't 'expel' the good. He had Fat Buu yanked out. If he'd done as Fat Buu had and simply ejected the good he'd have been Skinny Buu again, but that's not what happened so we got back to the original.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: Whats the most unpredictable and shocking saga?

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:40 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:I mean Goku letting his sons die over Mr. Satan and Dende, then not shedding a single tear, that made me gain a certain dislike for Goku.
Goku never cries in DBZ. He turns it into anger instead.

Anyway, I'll have to go with the Saiyan/Namek sagas. The Buu Saga was more "WTF?" than anything else, but the S/N sagas were some shocking stuff about the Saiyans, Frieza, the GInyu Force, and the Legendary Saiyan. Just a good time all-around.

Last Son of Krypton
Beyond Newbie

Post by Last Son of Krypton » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:51 pm

I'd have to say the Buu Saga. With each episode I didn't know what was going to happen next. I may change my mind after seeing the Saiyans fight tonight.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:21 pm

Dayspring wrote:
MyVisionity wrote:
Son Goku wrote: Exactly! I mean, shouldn't Strong - Fat = Skinny? :shock:
What caused everyone's surprise was the fact that Buu's transformation left him more powerful than his previous form instead of less, and because they didn't know of Buu's history with the Kaios that led to Fat. Losing Fat Buu wouldn't result in a manifestation because that manifestation doesn't exist, but Buu himself does. In other words, Strong and Fat are the same beings, except in one evil is more dominate than the other.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:07 pm

Oh taff, more Buu Math. I'm just gonna stay out of that...

Anyways, personally I'd go for the Cell Saga. Sure, Buu's storyline was more 'unpredictable' in a way, but like someone already mentions - it's just because Akira Toriyama was pulling plotlines out of his ass at that point :P .

The Cell Saga served as a near-perfect storyline. The introduction of Trunks, turning SSJ and taking out Freeza and his father in half the time Goku and Freeza spent bulking up their muscles in the last saga - the Red Ribbon Army Connection, time travel, Vegeta going SSJ (although I'm sure everyone saw that coming), Cell, Piccolo and Kami re-joining, SSJ2, Goku's death. So much great stuff came out of that Saga, it remains my favourite to this day.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

'lo Legends
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 'lo Legends » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:13 am

Yeah, but what you don't quite see is that Toriyama was ALSO pulling stuff out of his ass for the Cell Saga. It was originally going to be JUST about the first two androids: 19/20. But then, Toriyama's editor hated them and told him to make cooler looking enemies, and then Toriyama made the other two androids (17/18). His editor told him that they're just a bunch of "kids" and are hard to take seriously, so Toriyama created Cell in his first form. Toriyama's editor THEN told him that he looked too much like a bug so Toriyama created Cell's seccond form. Again, his editor complained, saying that this Cell looked too ugly, so Toriyama created Perfect Cell (another "omg 00ber kewl" humanoid enemy) and everyone was happy.

Most of the "plot twists" in the Cell Saga was just for necessity rather than the sake of being "plot twists"...

*end wall of text*
Random Fact: "If Freeza used a watering can on Piccolo, he would turn into a tree. FACT."