Yamcha sneezes behind Bulma - Japanese belief?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Yamcha sneezes behind Bulma - Japanese belief?

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sun May 27, 2012 1:52 pm

Since Yamcha sneezed behind Bulma in Kai, I notice a Japanese cultural belief that if anyone sneezes, someone is talking behind you. I don't know if it's a bad luck practice in Japan.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Yamcha sneezes behind Bulma - Japanese belief?

Post by SSJToreto » Sun May 27, 2012 1:57 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:Since Yamcha sneezed behind Bulma in Kai, I notice a Japanese cultural belief that if anyone sneezes, someone is talking behind you. I don't know if it's a bad luck practice in Japan.
I don't believe that it's solely a Japanese thing. I've heard that saying in other countries as well. It's kind of like a superstitious thing, like let's say - if you walk under a ladder it's bad luck or whatever...

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun May 27, 2012 1:57 pm

I don't know about in Japanese, but my third-grade teacher once told us that when someone is talking about you, your nose will itch. It seems similar to that.

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sun May 27, 2012 1:59 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I don't know about in Japanese, but my third-grade teacher once told us that when someone is talking about you, your nose will itch. It seems similar to that.
Africans (not all of course) I've heard think the same way. If your ears are itching, someone's talking about you.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Sun May 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I don't know about in Japanese, but my third-grade teacher once told us that when someone is talking about you, your nose will itch. It seems similar to that.
I always thought this was what the scene meant as well, actually.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sun May 27, 2012 2:15 pm

It could apply to some cultures. I found one Filipino belief that is similar to the Japanese one that if someone sneezes, a person shall be pinched.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw » Sun May 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Basically, it's like saying your ears are burning, with someone talking about you when you're not there, i.e. talking behind your back.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 27, 2012 4:17 pm

SSJToreto wrote:I don't believe that it's solely a Japanese thing. I've heard that saying in other countries as well. It's kind of like a superstitious thing, like let's say - if you walk under a ladder it's bad luck or whatever...
Yep, it's not just in Japan that people do it, other countries too.

I sneezed a couple of times like 10-15mins ago but I didn't say anyone's talking about me to myself. :P
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun May 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Here hiccup also counts as gossips detector :)
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 27, 2012 6:04 pm

As my Polish sister, we also have a hiccup in CZ. But I guess what Russians have for example, as I was acting in some wild discussions about saying: ''You're drinking like a Danish!'' alcohol of course, and so we were searching for what Danish are saying which ended in conclusion, that they are drinking as Swedish, Swedish are drinking as Finnish and Finnish like Russians....
And as Russians are drinking as Hell itself, I think it ends here. But seriously, I heard it's true :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun May 27, 2012 8:11 pm

I distinctly recall early in the manga, Piccolo is talking to Gohan about Goku (saying he's too soft) and we got a panel of Goku sneezing on Snake Way. I thought it was a similar thing.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw » Mon May 28, 2012 3:09 am

MCDaveG wrote:As my Polish sister, we also have a hiccup in CZ. But I guess what Russians have for example, as I was acting in some wild discussions about saying: ''You're drinking like a Danish!'' alcohol of course, and so we were searching for what Danish are saying which ended in conclusion, that they are drinking as Swedish, Swedish are drinking as Finnish and Finnish like Russians....
And as Russians are drinking as Hell itself, I think it ends here. But seriously, I heard it's true :lol:
There's always been a bit of an association with Danes and heavy drinking. It appears in Shakespeare, in Hamlet (which is pretty damn likely, what with it being "Hamlet, Prince of Danes".)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 28, 2012 7:48 am

The sneezing from yesterday now makes somewhat a bit of sense, I went to my real life "farmville" and was shocked with the catastrophe it happened there, I had to organize everything again.

Well, it's not truly mine, more of my father's but I'm taking care of it currently, though, some family douche member yesterday wrecked parts of it and I was pissed off when I got there today, after a while I calmed down and arranged it all properly. Damn them.

I snooze several times yesterday so it probably was a sign, or just coincidence.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Mon May 28, 2012 1:01 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I snooze several times yesterday so it probably was a sign, or just coincidence.
As I'm currently being forced to learn German at work, I have huge respect for people who communicate in English as a second language better than I can in, well, any other language at all. So, just for your info, "snooze" is not the past tense of "sneeze". The past tense of "sneeze" is "sneezed". "Snooze" means to sleep.

(When people get English wrong, they usually do it in a way which makes you think that their way makes a lot more sense.)

Oh, and on the topic, there are a few instances of people sneezing when someone is talking about the in the original DragonBall. All of which have left my mind at the moment, but there was one in the episode I was watching the other day, shortly after Kuririn's death... Nope, can't think. Sorry.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon May 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Saiga wrote:I distinctly recall early in the manga, Piccolo is talking to Gohan about Goku (saying he's too soft) and we got a panel of Goku sneezing on Snake Way. I thought it was a similar thing.
Yeah, that was when he'd kidnapped him to train for the Saiyans, and Gohan said that if his father's coming back to life, then he wants to be trained by him. Then Piccolo berated Gokuu's softness as being inadequate to train Gohan, using his mollycoddled nature as an example. And then it cut to Gokuu sneezing on the Serpent Road and rubbing his nose in confusion.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.