Fact checking about Yamcha

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aremke
Not-So-Newbie

Fact checking about Yamcha

Post by Aremke » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:05 am

I know there's a lot of stuff released in Japan that those of us who can't read japanese are unfortunately kept out of the loop about. Since I'm a Yamcha fan and also in the middle of doing a fan manga about him, I need to make sure my facts are straight.

I got an email from someone on Toru Furuya's message boards about Yamcha. He says the following:

"According to "The Truth of Song's Family", Yamcha was born on Age of 733. He had lived with his parents until his adolescence. But he lost his parents for some reasons. I think it was maybe caused by fickle and he was raised by his father, so he was scared of women. But his father died soon and he got to be alone."

He also gave the following links, which I also can't read.

http://www.ahww.or.jp/ani/ymcha/ymcha_page_1.htm
http://www3.parfe.jp/~tento/database/yamcha/

I've never heard of any of this. Can anyone verify this information for me? One of the things I trust about this board is its accuracy. I honestly never heard anything about Yamcha's past before his meeting with Goku, aside from his date of birth and that he was 14 when he met Puar.
"Justice, Honor, Hope, Purity, Victory"

Update: Issue 10 is up! Volume 1 is complete!

Please check out my Yamcha fan manga:
http://www.rmkworld.net/ELSEWHERE/elsewhere.htm

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:26 am

Sounds like someone has quite the imagination
Where's the beef?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:18 am

The Daizenshuu (only non-manga+anime source you can quote) says:

733: Birth of Yamcha.
747: Yamcha meets Puar.
749 (Sept. 6): Goku meets Yamcha.

Bio coming later today.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:58 am

There you are! No wonder I didn't recognize you at deviantart, you haven't been around HERE very long. :P

Sorry to get a little off topic, but I remember looking a bit at that fan manga you mentioned. Your Toriyama art is pretty good.

About those links, whether you could read them or not, are they even an official / reliable source?

Aremke
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Aremke » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:01 pm

Leotaku wrote:About those links, whether you could read them or not, are they even an official / reliable source?
See, that's what I don't know. It's more than likely just a fan site, or even a fan story, but again- I just don't know. Since Yamcha's not a popular character, information about him outside of the anime/manga is pretty hard to come by. Heck, it took me awhile just to find out that bit about his date of birth and the year he met Puar.

I have to be 100% sure before I go any further with my manga. A written mistake is easier to correct than the 60+ pages of manga that I've already drawn and the volumes I've yet to do.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:23 pm

I know in the letters to Toriyama in one of the manga volumes, when he was asked how old Yamcha was, and he just answered that he was about 20 at the time.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:01 pm

Bio from daizenshuu 7:

Yamcha: Expert fighter in martial arts. Born in 733, he's 183cm tall and weighs 68kg (**sorry: awkward French from France translation that gave a height by weight measurement.**). In the beginning, he was a brigand known as "The King of the Desert", and stole money and capsuls from people who crossed his lands. It's in this manner that he first encounters Goku, Bulma and Oolong and learns of the existence of the Dragonballs. He hoped to acquire the latter in so that the Sacred Dragon could cure him of his timidness around women, in hopes of one day even marrying. Although ultimately he fails in this quest, he becomes close to Bulma. After the destruction of the Red Ribbon Army, Yamcha trains to perfect his skills by becoming a disciple of Kamesennin. When Vegeta arrived on Earth with the goal of exterminating it, Yamcha perishes in an explosion caused by a Saibaman sent by the Saiyan to fight him. Dead, he then followed the training of Master Kaio but never really had the occasion to demonstrate his newly learned talents.

The rest is simple highlights from the manga, and a mention that he became a baseball player to make cash in the anime (he was excellent at bat, using his martial arts reflexes and strength to hit 3 home runs in a row). I suggest using the 3 year gap between Cyborg Freeza and the Android saga for your fanmanga, since his bio strongly insinuates he learned at least the Kaioken. During the three years he could have perfected what he learned from Kaio.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Aremke
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Aremke » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:13 pm

Dayspring wrote:Bio from daizenshuu 7:

Yamcha: Expert fighter in martial arts. Born in 733, he's 183cm tall and weighs 68kg (**sorry: awkward French from France translation that gave a height by weight measurement.**). In the beginning, he was a brigand known as "The King of the Desert", and stole money and capsuls from people who crossed his lands. It's in this manner that he first encounters Goku, Bulma and Oolong and learns of the existence of the Dragonballs. He hoped to acquire the latter in so that the Sacred Dragon could cure him of his timidness around women, in hopes of one day even marrying. Although ultimately he fails in this quest, he becomes close to Bulma. After the destruction of the Red Ribbon Army, Yamcha trains to perfect his skills by becoming a disciple of Kamesennin. When Vegeta arrived on Earth with the goal of exterminating it, Yamcha perishes in an explosion caused by a Saibaman sent by the Saiyan to fight him. Dead, he then followed the training of Master Kaio but never really had the occasion to demonstrate his newly learned talents.

The rest is simple highlights from the manga, and a mention that he became a baseball player to make cash in the anime (he was excellent at bat, using his martial arts reflexes and strength to hit 3 home runs in a row). I suggest using the 3 year gap between Cyborg Freeza and the Android saga for your fanmanga, since his bio strongly insinuates he learned at least the Kaioken. During the three years he could have perfected what he learned from Kaio.
Thanks for all the official info! I knew just about all of that already, but that extra insinuation bit about his undemonstrated fruits of training under Kaio-sama reinforces what I already believed. Also, my fan manga is actually set during the seven years between the Cell games and the Buu saga where he visits his origins. I had already written this pre-Dragonball back story for him that interconnected with all the present-day events in Dragonball, but that email I received shook me a little. I've only done six issues, and I'm glad to see that email was apparently fluff because I'd hate to have to rewrite/draw the entire thing.

yamcha

Post by yamcha » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:40 pm

me encanta yamcha es mi bueno favorito. y aprobecho para felicitar a RMK por sus fan arts y por su favuloso fanmanga.
http://universosaiyajin.com/FIRMAS/firmayamcha.gif

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:45 pm

Oh dear
Where's the beef?

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:52 pm

me encanta yamcha es mi bueno favorito. y aprobecho para felicitar a RMK por sus fan arts y por su favuloso fanmanga.
:shock: We don't speak Spanish here... :shock:
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:01 pm

Translated...
yamcha wrote:it enchants yamcha to me is my good favorite. and aprobecho to congratulate to RMK by his fan arts and by their favuloso fanmanga.
O_O

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:03 pm

Actually wasn't Yamchas father shown in that episode before the Android saga? The one where there all training? Anyone know what I'am talking about? If not I will include a screen capture and more info. Hey I could be wrong but does anyone know what Iam talking about?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:52 am

If you're thinking of that guy that yelled at him in the gym when he was looking at the girls, I don't know where you got that idea Tanooki. That's just some random trainer or the gym owner. Nothing more. :?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:41 am

Your right, I had to think he was his father for some reason. Iam going to look at that episode tonight and see my reasoning. :?

Edit: Ok yea I just looked it over and I really have no idea where I even got that idea. Sorry about that :oops:

yamcha

Post by yamcha » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:13 am

lo siento :oops: yo de ingles lo justo
http://universosaiyajin.com/FIRMAS/firmayamcha.gif

Holken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Holken » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:50 am

Aremke wrote:Please check out my Yamcha fan manga:
Wow, it's very good. The fanarts are successful.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:01 am

lo siento :oops: yo de ingles lo justo
:shock: Does anyone know what he just said?
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:44 am

lo siento yo de ingles lo justo
He said he's sorry, He don't like English?
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aremke
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Aremke » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:07 am

Wow, this is one heck of a necro-post. The things I get notified by email about...

Holken, yamcha, thanks for the praise and I'm happy you like my work. Eclipse, thanks for the translation. But yeah, I imagine this thing is gonna get hammered pretty soon.