What do you guys think of SSJ4?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

What do you guys think of SSJ4?

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:35 pm

Yeah do you guys like it or hate it? I personally am somewhere in the middle. It was a cool idea combing SSJ and Oozaru but I felt they dropped the ball with the whole red(pink) fur and black hair thing.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: What do you guys think of SSJ4?

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:00 pm

I personally love the design. It is much better than SSJ2 and SSJ3. SSJ2 was basically just lightning aura with a slight change in look. Only Kid Gohan had a significant difference in his SSJ2 look while everyone basically looked like a copy of SSJ with lightning in their aura. SSJ3 just looked silly with ludicrous long hair and no eyebrows. SSJ4 is a new and unique look. It feels like the pinnacle SSJ form because it takes the idea of The Ozaru and SSJ, and combines them into one ultimate form. Personally the crimson fur Vegeta had would have worked better than light red for Goku, But it could also be used for everyone to look different. Vegeta has brown hair in SSJ4 while Goku has black, and Gogeta has orange hair with brown fur. I like the idea everyone isn't just blond, they each have their own unique look. Though needing a tail kinda ruins the whole statement Toriyama made of tails no longer being needed once a Saiyan is strong enough on his own.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:01 pm

I like it. Wish it would've been used in Z.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:I personally love the design. It is much better than SSJ2 and SSJ3. SSJ2 was basically just lightning aura with a slight change in look. Only Kid Gohan had a significant difference in his SSJ2 look while everyone basically looked like a copy of SSJ with lightning in their aura. SSJ3 just looked silly with ludicrous long hair and no eyebrows. SSJ4 is a new and unique look. It feels like the pinnacle SSJ form because it takes the idea of The Ozaru and SSJ, and combines them into one ultimate form. Personally the crimson fur Vegeta had would have worked better than light red for Goku, But it could also be used for everyone to look different. Vegeta has brown hair in SSJ4 while Goku has black, and Gogeta has orange hair with brown fur. I like the idea everyone isn't just blond, they each have their own unique look. Though needing a tail kinda ruins the whole statement Toriyama made of tails no longer being needed once a Saiyan is strong enough on his own.
I didnt care for the red fur and black hair. Its not horrible or anything I just would have preferred Gold or heck why not white that would be cool. As for your tail comment. It kinda ruins it but at the same time its also required to be cool. If SSJ4 didnt rely on the Oozaru it kind of takes away from the overall coolness of the transformation.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:13 pm

I like the concept and while I don't like it as much as the other transformations it would have been nice if it appeared in Toriyama's works instead of GT's mess of a story. I feel that the SSJ4 is GT's only good point. I also liked the concept of a parasitic villain. But nothing about the story is interesting and doesn't make much sense.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Hitiro wrote:I like the concept and while I don't like it as much as the other transformations it would have been nice if it appeared in Toriyama's works instead of GT's mess of a story. I feel that the SSJ4 is GT's only good point. I also liked the concept of a parasitic villain. But nothing about the story is interesting and doesn't make much sense.
I thought SSJ4, the Tuffle King Parasite, and the Shadow Dragons were all good concepts it just sucks that they were utilized in GT. GT is an inconsistent mess of a series. Not to mention there are just times where you wanna slap the characters for being so stupid. Seriously why didnt Goku just remove the Tail off Baby right off the bat? Why is Goku portrayed as stupid enough to keep fueling Super 17?
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:27 pm

I freakin' love every single aspect of it except how it was actually used in GT.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Kaboom wrote:I freakin' love every single aspect of it except how it was actually used in GT.
Design-wise I find it to be genius. Color scheme-wise not so much.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:34 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:I personally love the design. It is much better than SSJ2 and SSJ3. SSJ2 was basically just lightning aura with a slight change in look. Only Kid Gohan had a significant difference in his SSJ2 look while everyone basically looked like a copy of SSJ with lightning in their aura. SSJ3 just looked silly with ludicrous long hair and no eyebrows. SSJ4 is a new and unique look. It feels like the pinnacle SSJ form because it takes the idea of The Ozaru and SSJ, and combines them into one ultimate form. Personally the crimson fur Vegeta had would have worked better than light red for Goku, But it could also be used for everyone to look different. Vegeta has brown hair in SSJ4 while Goku has black, and Gogeta has orange hair with brown fur. I like the idea everyone isn't just blond, they each have their own unique look. Though needing a tail kinda ruins the whole statement Toriyama made of tails no longer being needed once a Saiyan is strong enough on his own.
I didnt care for the red fur and black hair. Its not horrible or anything I just would have preferred Gold or heck why not white that would be cool. As for your tail comment. It kinda ruins it but at the same time its also required to be cool. If SSJ4 didnt rely on the Oozaru it kind of takes away from the overall coolness of the transformation.
I would not want it to be Gold or it would take away from how unique it was. Personally the tail coming back for the form is fine, but I don't like how it was required. Kinda like in the games how Goku and Vegeta Grow a tail when they transform into SSJ4, I would prefer that. If Gohan or the other saiyans got SSJ4 (douhgtful) I would want them to have their own unique look.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

MisguidedGhost
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MisguidedGhost » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:53 pm

I loved the design and the concept, but as Kaboom and others said it was just utilized poorly. I always found it strange that it was called Super Saiyan 4 when it was so different than the other forms. I think "Primal Saiyan" or such would've been a cooler/more logical name.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:58 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Kaboom wrote:I freakin' love every single aspect of it except how it was actually used in GT.
I'd rather have it stand out with its own look, especially in color. Having more gold would be repetitive and take away from its uniqueness, even with everything else considered.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Kaboom wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:
I'd rather have it stand out with its own look, especially in color. Having more gold would be repetitive and take away from its uniqueness, even with everything else considered.
I can respect that but the whole red fur thing was wierd. Maybe if it was brown fur and black hair I might have liked it more.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:28 pm

I think it has a good look, but I don't like the name, the lack of explaining to it, and how Goku magically transforms in an adult.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:48 pm

I like Goku's ssj4 better than Vegeta's. I've got no issue with Goku's pink fur, it's kind of cute actually; it makes me think of how male birds are typically more colorful than female birds since it's supposed to help them attract mates. I think Vegeta's hair doesn't change enough in ssj4 to make it look cohesive the way Goku's hair changes. I don't like the rimmed eyes, but I like that the irises change a different color than the one they do in regular ssj (Goku's golden and Vegeta's blue).

I don't draw ssj4 all that much though; I guess it's because it's a GT-only thing and I don't really watch GT much anymore.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:21 am

Kaboom wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:
<off topic>So this could be considered a kind of spoiler for what's planned for GTR, couldn't it?</off topic>

I like SSJ4 in both the cases of Goku and Vegeta but I can't stand the look of Gogeta in this form. So simple maths gives me 66% for it and 33% against :)

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:49 am

Tzigi wrote:I like SSJ4 in both the cases of Goku and Vegeta but I can't stand the look of Gogeta in this form. So simple maths gives me 66% for it and 33% against :)
I agree I'm even less of a fan of the whole red hair and brown fur thing.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:23 am

Fox666 wrote:I think it has a good look, but I don't like the name, the lack of explaining to it, and how Goku magically transforms in an adult.
Wasn't it explained somewhere, don't know if it was the GT perfect files or actually in the anime, that Goku turns back into an adult because SSJ4 is so powerful it neutralises the wish on Goku for the period of time he uses the transformation?

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:08 am

I actually like the Super Saiyan 4 design, but the execution of it in the series was crap. Also the thing that irked me was the spontaneous mysticism that seemingly comes with it. I can understand an excuse for why Goku turns back into an adult, but that doesn't explain the whole thing with the clothes. Goku and Vegeta both lose their shirts after they transform, but re-gain them when they go back to base. Not to mention Goku has a mysterious case of the amazing re-forming pants (and his belts switch too).

WTF?
Last edited by Ketchup_Revenge on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:09 am

Tzigi wrote:
Kaboom wrote:I'd rather have it stand out with its own look, especially in color. Having more gold would be repetitive and take away from its uniqueness, even with everything else considered.
<off topic>So this could be considered a kind of spoiler for what's planned for GTR, couldn't it?</off topic>
<off topic> I think it'd only really be a "spoiler" if I planned to change it. But I've always loved SSj4 as it is, so anyone expecting it to be radically different in GTR will be disappointed. </off topic>
I like SSJ4 in both the cases of Goku and Vegeta but I can't stand the look of Gogeta in this form. So simple maths gives me 66% for it and 33% against :)
Gogeta's SSj4 colors make a little more sense when you realize they're just the reverse of Goku and Vegeta's. You go from red fur and dark hair to red hair and dark fur. Must be a special side-effect for Fusions. Makes me wonder how Gotenks would look at SSj4.
Ketchup_Revenge wrote:I actually like the Super Saiyan 4 design, but the execution of it in the series was crap. Also the thing that irked me was the spontaneous mysticism that seemingly comes with it. For example, Goku and Vegeta both lose their shirts after they transform, but re-gain them when they go back to base.
WTF?
Even weirder is that Vegeta not only spawns boots, gloves, and pants at SSj4, but actually a completely different set of gloves, boots, and pants than he was wearing without it!

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:14 am

Kaboom wrote:
Ketchup_Revenge wrote:I actually like the Super Saiyan 4 design, but the execution of it in the series was crap. Also the thing that irked me was the spontaneous mysticism that seemingly comes with it. For example, Goku and Vegeta both lose their shirts after they transform, but re-gain them when they go back to base.
WTF?
Even weirder is that Vegeta not only spawns boots, gloves, and pants at SSj4, but actually a completely different set of gloves, boots, and pants than he was wearing without it!
I totally agree with you. I also noticed that Vegeta's gloves go from cut-off to full fingered.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?