Did Gohan lose his Ultimate Potential?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Did Gohan lose his Ultimate Potential?

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:59 pm

I have been told by some he has and hasn't. This topic is not about if he can still use SSJ or not. It's all about if he lost his unlocked power. Someone said it was stated in the Daizenshuu somewhere he did, and it is supported by the manga. I have never seen that stated in any Daizenshuu, and it isn't supported by the manga because we don't see him attempt to use his abilities again.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Hitiro
I Live Here

Re: Did Gohan lose his Ultimate Potential?

Post by Hitiro » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:10 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:I have been told by some he has and hasn't. This topic is not about if he can still use SSJ or not. It's all about if he lost his unlocked power. Someone said it was stated in the Daizenshuu somewhere he did, and it is supported by the manga. I have never seen that stated in any Daizenshuu, and it isn't supported by the manga because we don't see him attempt to use his abilities again.
Elder Kaioshin never stated that it was a temporary thing as far as I've read so I choose to believe that it was a permanent thing and that any film after these events is wrong. :P

That being said isn't Akira Toriyama the one working on the story for the new movie? In some images I've seen Gohan using SSJ. Not really sure if he will be able to go SSJ in the new movie as the images could just be promotional ones that have nothing to do with the actual movie but if he does go SSJ then Akira Toriyama better explain himself. ;o

Though it could be down to him just plain forgetting about everything.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Maybe he just channels energy in a different way when he goes Mystic, but it's similar enough to how he turns SSJ. So maybe he just goes Mystic when he absolutely needs to.

Or maybe he can't go Mystic because of some plot device in this upcoming movie.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:18 pm

In Dragon Ball GT, for at least that continuity in its own world, did Gohan himself, the old Kaioshin, or anyone else ever explicitly mention it, question it, etc.? Or does he just kinda go Super Saiyan again during a fight and that's that?

Personally, I think people put too much stock in Gohan's power-up as a plot point. How many times did Gohan get a power-up in the series only to be powered-up again later or find another way to get around it and increase his overall strength? It's one of those things that just "is". It was the end of the series, he got swapped out for Goku, and other storytellers wanted to show him going Super Saiyan again for whatever reason. No real way to explain it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:23 pm

Was it stated anywhere in the Daizenshuu or GT perfect files he lost his full unlocked power?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:30 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Was it stated anywhere in the Daizenshuu or GT perfect files he lost his full unlocked power?
Not that I can recall.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:52 pm

Hitiro wrote:Elder Kaioshin never stated that it was a temporary thing
He also never said it was a permanent thing. It could really go either way with the information we're given.

To throw my own opinion into the mix...

- Gohan, after recieving the power up, tried transforming into SSj as per EK's instructions, and he turned into his Ultimate State. This seems to demonstrate that the Ultimate State flat out replaced SSj. If the power up is there, he turns into his Ultimate State upon transformation, if it is not there, he turns into SSj upon transformation.

- It was never said that the power up was permanent or temporary, so it would not be contradictory for either of these to be the case.

- Thus: if he was able to turn SSj in the first place, that means that the power up had disappeared, and that fact would not contradict anything said.

I used to ignore SSj Gohan in GT, on the grounds that GT did a lot of things that should be ignored. However, if Gohan is continuing to be depicted in official post-Buu arc material in SSj form, then I see no reason not to adopt the "EK's power up disappeared over time" theory into my fanon.
Last edited by Zephyr on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:00 pm

I don't think he did. His powers were all brought to the surface, so I don't see it just going away like that. Also, since his "changed" features appeared to still be there by the end of Z, I'll assume, aside from age, there's no change in Gohan's power.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote:In Dragon Ball GT, for at least that continuity in its own world, did Gohan himself, the old Kaioshin, or anyone else ever explicitly mention it, question it, etc.? Or does he just kinda go Super Saiyan again during a fight and that's that?

Personally, I think people put too much stock in Gohan's power-up as a plot point. How many times did Gohan get a power-up in the series only to be powered-up again later or find another way to get around it and increase his overall strength? It's one of those things that just "is". It was the end of the series, he got swapped out for Goku, and other storytellers wanted to show him going Super Saiyan again for whatever reason. No real way to explain it.
While I understand what you mean I've always come to the conclusion that Gohan getting the power-up from Guru only unlocked his potential at that age. And we don't know if the unlocking of his potential was just a portion or the full thing. Guru never specified. At the point he becomes SSJ2 we have to assume that was his maximum potential as an 11 year old. Once he reaches maturity that would be the maximum potential his body would have in his whole life. Also, Elder Kaioshin's ability was different from Guru's, it unlocks a persons potential beyond their limits. Such limits which are in place during everyone's stages of life. For example, most people don't ever become the best at a certain task or event until they are much older or more mature. That's how I see it anyway, I'm sure Akira Toriyama never intended it to be that way. XD

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:31 pm

With what we have at the moment, I can say no - he didn't lose the "Mightiest Warrior thing". Not counting GT, anyway. We'll have to see what the Battle of Gods movie shows us to discuss this further.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:37 pm

Not sure. I would hope not and he just discovered how to go SSJ on top of that. Gohan is a smart guy he might be able to achieve a greater power. Man SSJ Mystic Gohn would be a power house :lol:
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:40 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Not sure. I would hope not and he just discovered how to go SSJ on top of that. Gohan is a smart guy he might be able to achieve a greater power. Man SSJ Mystic Gohn would be a power house :lol:
I that was possible he would have used it against Bootenks.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:46 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:Not sure. I would hope not and he just discovered how to go SSJ on top of that. Gohan is a smart guy he might be able to achieve a greater power. Man SSJ Mystic Gohn would be a power house :lol:
I'm just suggesting that he found a way after the Buu saga.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:55 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
I'm just suggesting that he found a way after the Buu saga.
I know. You should see all the images of SSJ Mystic Gohan, or even SSJ3 Mystic Gohan OMGHOLYSHIT :lol:

Looking back at an early panel when Gohan was pissed at the Elder Kaioshin, you can see his pupils were the same as an SSJ when he released some of his power, then went black when he calmed down. It seems like he was altering SSJ.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Gohan finding a way to go SSJ on top of his Mightiest Warrior state would be nothing but contradictory of the whole Mightiest Warrior thing.
  • SSJ is the wrong way to do things.
  • Let's enhance it so you could use that power and more in base form.
  • Oh shitz, I can go SSJ over the "SSJ that is in my base form"!
How about NO.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:07 pm

For now, for me it's permanent in the manga, but temporary in the anime if you stop training. But since the new movie will be most likely manga canon for me, my opinion will probably change on the subject.
VegettoEX wrote:In Dragon Ball GT, for at least that continuity in its own world, did Gohan himself, the old Kaioshin, or anyone else ever explicitly mention it, question it, etc.? Or does he just kinda go Super Saiyan again during a fight and that's that?
No. He just goes Super Saiyan against Goten-Baby, and that's it.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:28 pm

The thing is, people tend to assume that Old Kai explicitly took out his SSJ state for an ultimate base form for whatever reason. The Old Kai Unlock Potential was obviously a throwback to what the Grand Elder did back in the Namek saga. Supposedly, the floodgates of all of Gohan's latent powers were unlocked back then, and then sagas later, we find out he has even more doormant power? C'mon.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:59 pm

NeoKING wrote:The thing is, people tend to assume that Old Kai explicitly took out his SSJ state for an ultimate base form for whatever reason. The Old Kai Unlock Potential was obviously a throwback to what the Grand Elder did back in the Namek saga. Supposedly, the floodgates of all of Gohan's latent powers were unlocked back then, and then sagas later, we find out he has even more doormant power? C'mon.
As its been said Guru's power was to unlock a persons potential. Elder Kaioshin's ability is to unlock potential past a persons limits. If Gohan is limited to only using 15% of his dormant potential as a child then Guru unlocked that 15% As he grows to maturity that limit will decrease allowing Gohan further access to his hidden potential, until the limiter on his potential lowers But Kaioshin unlocks a persons potential even past their limits so if Gohan's true potential couldn't be accessed because his limit only allows him to use 50% of his hidden potential then Elder Kaioshin's ability pushes past that problem and gives him full access to 100% of his hidden potential. Also when Gohan asks how he uses it Elder Kaioshins reply was something along the lines of "You do that Super Saiyan thing often enough, just do that and it will happen." Which is why most people assume that the ultimate base form replaced the SSJ state.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Hitiro wrote:
NeoKING wrote:The thing is, people tend to assume that Old Kai explicitly took out his SSJ state for an ultimate base form for whatever reason. The Old Kai Unlock Potential was obviously a throwback to what the Grand Elder did back in the Namek saga. Supposedly, the floodgates of all of Gohan's latent powers were unlocked back then, and then sagas later, we find out he has even more doormant power? C'mon.
As its been said Guru's power was to unlock a persons potential. Elder Kaioshin's ability is to unlock potential past a persons limits. If Gohan is limited to only using 15% of his dormant potential as a child then Guru unlocked that 15% As he grows to maturity that limit will decrease allowing Gohan further access to his hidden potential, until the limiter on his potential lowers But Kaioshin unlocks a persons potential even past their limits so if Gohan's true potential couldn't be accessed because his limit only allows him to use 50% of his hidden potential then Elder Kaioshin's ability pushes past that problem and gives him full access to 100% of his hidden potential. Also when Gohan asks how he uses it Elder Kaioshins reply was something along the lines of "You do that Super Saiyan thing often enough, just do that and it will happen." Which is why most people assume that the ultimate base form replaced the SSJ state.
Who came up with that math? I didn't know that's how the unlocking processes worked.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:38 pm

No, he didn't. He still has the enclosed eyes after the 10 year time-skip.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!