Vegeta - Prince/King

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Vegeta - Prince/King

Post by coola » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:43 pm

As i played Warcraft III: Frozen Throne, i started to wonder, why Vegeta called himself Prince of all Saiyans, instead of King? After his father died, he as Prince should automatically became a King, and Vegeta seemed very proud to be aristocrat.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Re: Vegeta - Prince/King

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Not sure really. I guess since his planet was destroyed its just a lingering title to make himself sound superior to everyone.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:52 pm

The only reason I can think of, other than some sort of emotional tie to the title or something, would possibly be that he was never officially coronated in whatever sort of ceremony the Saiyan's have, so he doesn't actually see himself as the king.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:16 pm

I think he would have to marry a female Saiyajin before he comes king. Bluma is only human which would make Trunks and Bra not a new prince and princess.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Because of the stipulation that the king is castrated after mating.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:55 pm

He'd be king to all of four people.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:59 pm

One person by the end of the series. (Assuming that to be a part of Vegeta's kingdom you'd need to have been a saiyajin born on Planet Vegeta; that would make Goku his only subject after Nappa and Raditz get killed off.)

I think the only reason he's "prince" instead of "king" is there's probably some sort of ritual or ceremony he would've had to undergo to become king. Since the planet's no longer there, it's impossible for him to accomplish whatever this would be.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Princes don't automatically become king upon the King's death. They have to be coronated.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 pm

Isn't him being the prince generally referred to in the past tense in the series itself? I know bios and whatnot often just call him "the prince of the Saiyans", but I seem to recall it going he "was the prince of Planet Vegeta" or referring to his father as having been the king, stuff like that. The implication being that his princely status was something belonging to the past, back when there was such a thing as a Saiyan civilization to be prince of. I can't check right now though, and could just be imagining things. DBZ movie 8's one place where it's strongly emphasized that he's currently the prince, though that was part of Paragus' plan to bait him into a trap.

Come to think of it, there is him ranting in the android arc about how as the prince he should be way stronger than that low-level warrior Kakarot after becoming a Super Saiyan. For that matter, "low-level warrior" is another aspect of Saiyan society that makes zero sense in present circumstances.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:31 am

You are right, i guess main reason was fact, there was never official coronation ceremony.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:20 am

Just like Kim Jong, Vegeta puts his father above himself.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:45 am

Rocketman wrote:Princes don't automatically become king upon the King's death. They have to be coronated.
Never thought of that way. Seems legit.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Gokuden wrote:Just like Kim Jong, Vegeta puts his father above himself.
Yet at the same time, he admitted he doesn't really give a shit that he [King Vegeta] died....Vegeta sure is complicated.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:22 pm

Insertclevername wrote:
Gokuden wrote:Just like Kim Jong, Vegeta puts his father above himself.
Yet at the same time, he admitted he doesn't really give a shit that he [King Vegeta] died....Vegeta sure is complicated.
Hot air, since in his dying moments, he tearfully tells Gokuu to avenge their race (the race that he previously told Dodoria he couldn't care less about, and later still trumpets his title of "Prince of the Saiyans", as well as condemning Gokuu based on his Saiyan class), giving Freeza killing his father in cold blood as a reason.

Vegeta probably did respect his father. If he didn't, he wouldn't care about any traditional coronation; he'd just boot himself up to the title of "King of the Saiyans" regardless. I mean, no-one would kick up a fuss. At the time of Planet Vegeta's destruction, there were only three remaining Saiyans, and all three of them were his subordinates and of lower class than him who wouldn't have dared to question his authority, lest they be killed immediately.

Vegeta just didn't like and/or want to admit the fact that he actually respected his father. He always tries to set himself apart from the pack, yet proudly clings to the memories of his extinct race like a childhood teddy bear.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Could simply be that he was satisfied with only being Prince, or unless they never established a ceremony of how to pass on the throne, because correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe King Vegeta was the first and only king.

Kind of like the royal family of Britian, Both Willam and Harry don't want "King", because it's too much responsibility. Charles wants it, but the Queen doesn't want him to succeed her.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?