What is Toriyama doing right now...?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

What is Toriyama doing right now...?

Post by Mattias » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:12 pm

I really don't recall if this question has been asked or not, so I'm just wondering. Is he mostly chilling, still doing character/monster designs for video games once in a while, and doing some minor manga stuff? Is he ever planning to do anything major à la Dr Slump or DB again...?

He's a chain-smoker, right? Not that means anything, of course...except the damage to his lungs.

Ahem, anyway!
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:13 pm

As far as I know, he's just doin' Neko Majin / Neko Majin Z... and smoking... and probably doing some future consultations on designs for Dragon Quest games.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:20 pm

That's cool. I love Dragon Quest. Johann in DQVII looks like Crono in Chrono Trigger...who looks like Goku.

I've noticed that his character designs keep going under slight alterations once in a while. His character designs in DQVII vary greatly from the very DBZ-ish designs from CT. Unlike CT, you couldn't look at a character from DQVII and try to connect him/her with some other drawing from another character (ie. Crono looking like Goku; Marle/Lucca both looking sort of like Bulma, etc).

I wonder if he laughs about how famous the "slime" is in Japan. Just an onion-shaped blue blob with a smiley face!
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:32 pm

Oh great another Dragonquest and ChronoTrigger fan! Do you find that that the little wolf boy, Gabo in DQVII looks slightly like a young Yajirobe?

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Gabo!

Post by Mattias » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:35 pm

Ah, now that you mention it, I do. But he acts more like Goku because all he wants to do is eat.

Melvin: "Maribel! You've certainly grown since the last time I've seen you!"
Gabo: "Yeah! And I grew...um...wider."

Gabo: "What the hell is this stuff?! It'll put hair on your paws!"

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:25 pm

I remember some old Planet Namek pictures of Toriyama smoking pot and masturbating... funny.

I never really connected Marle to Bulma. Lucca, yes, but not Marle. Interesting... maybe I should go back and see for myself.

I'm not much of a Dragon Warrior fan, but I once saw this ad and thought the main character was very similar to Gohan, and knew right away that Toriyama was involved.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:29 pm

omG I LieK MeT AkRiA ToriEmNA N He CuD Go SUpAR SaiYEnb 7

N He Si WurKing No DBAF!!!!!!!!1111111111!!WONE

TI MUSsT BE TruE

hehe anyway, I'd imagine he'd be living a fairly ordinary life right now. As anyone should

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:42 pm

Marle reminds me of ponytail Buruma (it's at least 2 of her 17 or so hairstyles).

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:53 pm

Getting another good luck at Marle, I could see her as ponytail Bulma.

What about the others? Magus has got to be someone. Ayla is evil Lunch, Glenn / Frog is kind of new, being a frog (named him Glenn on 2nd-16th games) and all. It's possible that he's still similar to someone. I can't think of any robots to compare R66-Y I mean Robo to (yes I named him that!). Who else is there...?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:17 pm

Magus looks a lot like Kaioushin fused with Kibito, now that I think about it. Frog and Robo seem pretty original, so I think that's everyone.

Also, I've just remembered that Arabian-looking outfit Buruma had at the end of the Pilaf Saga, which she wore a ponytail with. Get rid of the vest, and you have Marle.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:10 pm

TripleRach wrote:Magus looks a lot like Kaioushin fused with Kibito, now that I think about it. Frog and Robo seem pretty original, so I think that's everyone.

Also, I've just remembered that Arabian-looking outfit Buruma had at the end of the Pilaf Saga, which she wore a ponytail with. Get rid of the vest, and you have Marle.
I totally agree with you about Magus. He's definitely "Kaioshin-looking". I've always thought that Lucca looked liked a smarter Arale-chan.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

=O

Post by Mattias » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:52 pm

(http://www.angelfire.com/tx2/dwb/RSlime.gif in case image doesn't load).

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:00 pm

If you've seen the anime Dragonhalf, there's a hilarious subplot about how the king fell in love and married a Slime and that it's been hidden because of the shame of such an inter-marriage! And the daughter's ashamed of her half Slime heritage! :lol: Of course, the anime's kinda full of that since the main character's parents are a knight who married the dragon(her mother), instead of slaying her! :P

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:41 pm

Well DQ8 is coming so I'm sure hes working on that.

And yeah theres a lot of parallels. And actually I always matched Magus with Vegeta - they have the same V like hair break on the head, and also share the same evil smile.
-Laserkid

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

!

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:50 pm

I love Chrono Trigger.

Personality wise, I didn't think Crono really matched anyone; we didn't really see him say anything, though we could say he's a hero like Goku. Lucca resembled Bulma and Vegeta, Magus. Not sure about Marle. Ah, she resembled Bulma in personality; Lucca in looks.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:51 pm

"Thou art dead." ~ If you've been slain in the first Dragon Warrior game.

If that doesn't remind you of Shakespeare, I don't know what will.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:42 am

Ah, the first DW game... complete with spells like "hurt", right? Those cracked me up after all the RPGs I had played which put so much more effort into naming those things. Not to knock the game, of course.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:55 am

Zackarotto wrote:Ah, the first DW game... complete with spells like "hurt", right? Those cracked me up after all the RPGs I had played which put so much more effort into naming those things. Not to knock the game, of course.
But I thought "hurt" was one of your all-time favourite words Zacko?

risachan

Dragonball - Chrono Trigger

Post by risachan » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:01 am

^_^; I hate to plug, but on the topic of Chrono Trigger/DBZ comparisons my sister's site has a very good showcase of them:
http://animess.fateback.com/sab/chronodragonball.html

Ah... Magus... He's like Vegeta, Piccolo and Trunks all roled into one... ^_^; Don't look at me that way.

As for the Dragonquest slimes I saw an ad for a 'slime' Dragonquest game for the gameboy advance on TV in Japan. XD Don't know anything more about it, but it looks hilarious.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:54 am

Yes. Spells of: Hurt, Hurtmore, Heal, Healmore. Fortunately in its Gameboy re-release, they were renamed to Blaze, Firebal (don't know why they didn't insert a second L; they could fit it in!), etc, etc.

Princess Gwaelin: "Dost thou love me?"
[Select "No"]
Princess Gwaelin: "But thou must!"
[Select "No"]
Princess Gwaelin: "But thou must!"
[Repeat process about five hundred times.]
[Select "Yes"]
Princess Gwaelin: "I am so happy!"
[Corny fanfare plays]