Wikipedia and Dragonball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Wikipedia and Dragonball GT?

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:00 am

I was looking through the Wikipedia and glanced upon the summary for the latter part of GT . . . and I think it's a bit wanting.

I'm not familiar with Wikipedia ettiquette, but I've heard Wikipedia being discussed here before; perhaps some of you are familiar, which is why I'm asking for opinions on whether or not it'd be a good thing or a bad thing to change what's already in place.

Well . . . I don't mean just "change"; I've expanded it to the point where I've practically re-written it, though I haven't yet posted it. I've done a bit of research, and while the rules ask that we not make broad changes to the more controversial/celebrated ariticles of Wikipedia without serious discussion, they do encourage a bold attitude toward an article that needs fine-tuning or looks incomplete.

I don't think Dragonball GT qualifies as a controversial topic (except around here), and though written in a competent fashion, the article in place doesn't look too "celebrated" to me; it feels more like a placeholder . . . but even though I may have answered my own question, my opinion is still just that, and it's probably better to get at least a few perspectives before taking action. Anybody care to comment?

Oh, and this is my version (for the interested):

The fourth and final chapter of Dragonball GT not only ends the series but brings a conclusion to everything Dragonball. The '''Shadow Dragons Saga''', which spans episodes 48 to 64, is the final decisive battle for Earth and brings the series full-circle after nearly 400 episodes detailing the lengthy saga of Goku and his friends.

Following the defeat of Super #17, the earth is on the verge of collapse. The interdimensional rift that let loose an onslaught of past foes from Hell, in combination with the damage they caused before the heavenly order was restored . . . along with the massive clash between Super #17 and the Super Saiyans . . . has upset the natural balance of the planet and brought forth an unholy chaos of earthquakes, tsunami, volcanic eruptions and other phenomena, threatening the lives of everyone on earth.

As a last resort, Goku and his friends immediately round up the Dragonballs to return the fallen to life and wish things normal again. A swift hunt for the Dragonballs proves to be the only blessing to be had, however; each of the seven spheres has become inexplicably cracked since the last wish, leaving serious doubts as to whether or not they should be used. Left with no choice, Goku calls for the Eternal Dragon Shen Long (Shenron) and the sky becomes thick with a familiar darkness . . .

An insidious black smoke issues forth from the Dragonballs, and from it emerges a dragon that is anything but Shen Long. Kaioshin (Kibito Kai) urgently explains to a stunned Goku that an overuse of the Dragonballs over so many years has caused a build-up of "minus energy" to accumulate within them and disrupt their balance. The stress of using them yet again has caused the minus energy to at last erupt all at once and coalesce into a dragon of darkness who cares nothing for granting wishes; instead, he ingests the Dragonballs and, in a swirling storm of wind and smoke, divides their incredible power and splits off into seven separate entities. These Shadow Dragons, each in possession of a Dragonball, promptly scatter across the earth and cause a haze of minus energy to envelop the atmosphere, leaving Goku and the others to ponder over what they should do.

Feeling responsible for the exploitation of the Dragonballs over the years, Goku resolves to chase down each of the dragons and recover the mystical orbs, thus restoring Shen Long to his rightful place. Pan comes along against Goku's better judgement, and with Giru's help they are able to track down Liang Xing Long (Haze Shenron), Wu Xing Long (Rage Shenron), Liu Xing Long (Oceanus Shenron) and Qi Xing Long (Naturon Shenron) and defeat them fairly easily . . . however, the situation becomes far more serious with the arrival of Si Xing Long (Nuova Shenron), who represents the four-star ball. Goku is forced to transform into Super Saiya-jin 4 and an intense battle ensues.

Goku and Si Xing Long thoroughly enjoy their battle, but before a winner is decided San Xing Long (Eis Shenron) soon arrives and demands that Si Xing Long team up with him to obliterate Goku. Si Xing Long refuses on the grounds that there is no honor in such ruthless combat, and a dismayed San Xing Long takes matters into his own hands as he beats down his brother and fights Goku one-on-one. Goku has a decisive advantage over the three-star dragon, who soon begs for his life, but then just as quickly preys on the Saiya-jin's trust as he unleashes a last attack that succeeds in blinding him completely.

Enraged, Goku wreaks havoc on San Xing Long and utterly destroys him with the Dragon Fist technique to recover the three-star ball. Si Xing Long finds little honor in attacking a disavantaged opponent and withholds his attack on Goku but is instantly killed with the arrival of Yi Xing Long (Syn Shenron), who immediately engages Goku in battle. Blind, weary and his power nearly exhausted, Goku is beaten to within an inch of his life by the most powerful of all the Shadow Dragons, and after a fierce fight no longer has the energy to sustain the Super Saiya-jin 4 transformation and falls unconscious.

Goku is rescued by his family and friends, who offer their help. Goku insists that no number of people will be enough to overcome Yi Xing Long and declares the situation to be hopeless, but rather than fight together the real intent is for Son Gohan, Son Goten and Trunks to lend every last ounce of their combined Saiya-jin energy to Goku and restore his strength. Oob (Uub) barely manages to hold off the dragon long enough for this to be accomplished, and the result is a full-power Super Saiya-jin 4 Goku who despite his handicap is now far superior to his opponent. Goku thoroughly demonstrates his advantage.

Battered but not beaten, Yi Xing Long plays his trump card and ingests the other six Dragonballs, uniting the seven Shadow Dragons into the even more powerful figure of Super Xi Xing Long (Omega Shenron) who now possesses the individual powers of all of them. Despite having regained his sight, Goku finds himself outmatched again and again even after resorting to his fully powered Dragon Fist, and has made up his mind to sacrifice his life in a final kamikaze effort by the time Vegeta shows up to even the score.

Goku holds off his effort. With Bulma in tow, Vegeta reveals his plan. Having made use of his wife's intellect to construct a machine capable of producing Brutz waves, Vegeta allows himself to become overwhelmed by so much of this energy that he transforms into the Golden Oozaru and consequently makes his ascension to Super Saiya-jin 4 . . . but even with Goku and Vegeta on equal footing and teamed together, both of them recognize that they stand little chance of defeating their enemy, leading Vegeta to suggest Fusion.

The collective sons of Goku and Vegeta hold off Super Xi Xing Long long enough for the two rivals to fuse into the incomparable Super Saiya-jin 4 Gogeta, who is far too incredible an adversary for the dragon to overcome . . . but unfortunately, Gogeta spends too much of the battle toying with his enemy and defuses before he can deliver the final blow, leaving the horrified pair in the same predicament as before. Though they try to fuse once again, Goku has spent too long and hard a battle to maintain Super Saiya-jin 4 any longer and again reverts to his childhood form, making Fusion impossible and setting the stage for the final desperate conflict against Super Xi Xing Long.

Vegeta soon loses his hold on the Super Saiya-jin 4 energy as well, leaving the two of them absolutely powerless against the might of Super Xi Xing Long, who renews his assault. After Goku is seemingly destroyed in a struggle against the dragon's Power Ball attack, Vegeta orders Trunks to gather everyone into Bulma's spaceship and make their escape before continuing his hopeless offensive against Super Xi Xing Long . . . but even so, Son Gohan, Son Goten and Trunks join in the battle despite Vegeta's wishes. All of their efforts are to no avail, as none of them can make any impression against this horrific embodiment of the Dragonballs' power.

The Saiya-jin are felled one by one, but Vegeta assures Super Xi Xing Long that he has lost the battle despite everything. At that moment, a massive Genki Dama rises into the sky with Goku to hold it up, having gathered energy from everyone on earth, and as the Shadow Dragon looks on in disbelief Goku continues (with the help of the four Kaios) to draw in energy from the rest of the universe. A Genki Dama so massive is formed that no evil can stand against it, and with nothing more to do Goku hurls the bomb upon Super Xi Xing Long and completely obliterates him with a terrific blast, and restores all seven Dragonballs to their normal state.

With all seven of the Shadow Dragons defeated, Shen Long appears at long last without being summoned, and explains much to everyone's surprise that he will now separate himself and the power of the Dragonballs from the Lower Realm. Goku makes a final request of the Eternal Dragon to restore the earth and her people, and this wish is granted as the last of them all . . . and with nothing left to say, Son Goku climbs atop Shen Long's head and bids everyone good-bye, promising that they will soon meet again.

So anyway . . .

(Li'l Lemmy, wanting to know the right thing to do.)
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:52 am

Oh don't worry, Wikipedia has lots of inconsistencies because it is basically fans of something making the entries. So of course there are tons of false staements and mistakes. I know Julian and Mike have corrected a lot of sections concerning DBZ.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Wikipedia and Dragonball GT?

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:56 pm

If you want to put that in instead of the current summary, then go ahead... just don't touch the rest of my article. :)

(And be prepared for me to alter whatever I consider appropriate in your summary, as well.)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:16 pm

Isn't that what Wikipedia is all about?

Julian-sama, that was your summary there? Forgive me, but I never would have guessed; it doesn't remind me of your writing style at all . . . it looks different from your Path to Power synopsis on DaizenshuuEX, for example.

Had I known, I probably would have been a bit less critical of it, though I still say it's a little small (though by contrast, mine could be too lengthy). Is it a very old summary?

EDIT: Hmm . . . you know, I'm not so sure I want to swap the articles now. I may have been overzealous without thinking everything through first.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:22 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Had I known, I probably would have been a bit less critical of it, though I still say it's a little small (though by contrast, mine could be too lengthy). Is it a very old summary?
It's been altered by others, plus I've never seen the series all the way through so I was going by other sources and being purposefully vague. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:31 pm

Huh . . . I hadn't thought of that. A dozen different people could have picked apart that article by now; no wonder I couldn't tell.

I'm going to think about it a little more, and I wouldn't be surprised if I changed my mind all of a sudden, but at least now I have your blessing if I decide to go through with it. Technically, that's even better than having a hundred different people who weren't the author tell me that it'd be okay to go ahead and replace it.

Well, you wrote the original article. If you have any criticisms for the one I've written up, I'll wager they'd be useful and make it that much better for the readers . . . but then, as you said, you could just go and scribble in your own revisions later. Ha!

(Li'l Lemmy, just hanging around.)

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:31 pm

Wikipedia, while an excellent source of information (my self-made slogan for it is "Wikipedia > ignorance"), is rather dodgy in the fact that anybody with a keyboard and a brain cell can add, delete, or change whatever they want. You don't know how many people have edited perfectly safe and logical topics just to throw in some insane bullshit.

While we're on the topic of Dragon Ball and Wikipedia (and this is completely directed at some Daizex members, who shall remain nameless) - I completely and wholeheartedly love what Mike and Julian did to the Tullece topic (that I had started). I have stated so many times. However, I get messages from members here on two schools of thought that A) they were forced to clean up the topic because it was nothing than ignorant fanboy ramblings or B) that I got pissed at them for changing the topic. I want to make it clear right here, right now, and officially, that that is totally not the case. I have been a fan of Dragon Ball since I first saw the Harmony Gold dub, and as such, pretty much know my shit. Not as much as most of the members here, but I know enough. The only glaring error that was made that I can remember, was that I had him named TURRES instead (this was when I swore up and down that he was named after turnips - and before I actually saw the katakana for his name). Other than that, they mostly padded the topic with their extended knowledge - for Christ's sakes, they used the same basic format and images that I had begun the topic with.

So forgive me for ranting, :sigh: but I felt that needed to be aired out.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:54 pm

I'm not sure what you had added, but when I was reading it and got pissed off, I think I even saw some nonsense about them actually being brothers, and that "Turles" was a pun on "turnip". Uhh... NO. :P

But yeah, the inherent "problem" is that anyone can add anything and everything. And they will. That's why there's still a place for fansites, when Julian and I can veto each other and have some sort of cohesive plan, quality control, etc.

Not that it always works. We're all morons in some way, shape, or form.

I fully encourage anyone on this forum to make changes where necessary over on Wikipedia. At least make it slightly less overly FUNimation-dubified. Wikipedia's global; no need for "dubbies" (sorry! ^^) to press their (incorrect) views and information on the rest of the world that doesn't care :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:04 pm

me wrote:However, Turres, who looks very much like Goku, represents what Goku could have become if he had not lost his memory. His personality is best mirrored to Goku's own brother, Raditz. Turres is evil, ruthless, and will stop at nothing to get what he desires. Although it is claimed that Turres is actually Goku's long-lost twin brother, nothing is actually stated in the movie or Daizenshuu, so at this point it is nothing more than fan speculation. His resemblence to the anime's protagonist is likely only made to draw the parallel.
That's exactly what I had to say about the brother thing. As for the turnip thing... yeah, I already admitted that was my idiocy... :(
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Sho™
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sho™ » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:36 am

Shouldn't you display a bit of a spoiler warning first? Maybe that was the reason no-one added an in-depth summary before. I know it's years after GT finished, but we still have fans who have not seen the series. I don't want to bust your bubble, (it was a magnificently detailed and compelling summary!) however people might feel a little robbed after reading it. :?
[i]"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time..."[/i]
[| [url=http://rpg.naget.com]Ganadu'r - The Eternal Saga[/url] |]

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:04 pm

I love how it's very bi-lingual, so that no one will really be confused. Great Summary, indeed.

yuusha

Post by yuusha » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:24 pm

Wiki can be very misleading and biased depending on the writer. I revised the entry for Cha-la head cha-la and added soem recent info.

James

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:19 pm

Duo wrote:I love how it's very bi-lingual, so that no one will really be confused. Great Summary, indeed.
No confusion at all. Well, except for all those damned "(number of stars) Xing Long" dragons!
Sho wrote:Shouldn't you display a bit of a spoiler warning first? Maybe that was the reason no-one added an in-depth summary before. I know it's years after GT finished, but we still have fans who have not seen the series. I don't want to bust your bubble, (it was a magnificently detailed and compelling summary!) however people might feel a little robbed after reading it.
That is . . . actually a very good idea. I could easily sympathize with someone who would be looking for general information and instead was given that and all the details that he would've wanted to discover for himself. I'll remember to insert one before posting the summary.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm happy with the summary, too . . . well, except that I wish I could have come up with something more eloquent for GT's ending and Goku's farewell. But even after having seen it as many times as I have, I'm still trying to come up with my own interpretation of what actually happened. I love the way it's kept me thinking for so long; there's so many possibilities . . . so I guess everyone else should be allowed that same opportunity, rather than be subjected to my own interpretaion before having actually seen it for themselves first.