Explaining real-life references (in-universe)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dorexx
Regular

Explaining real-life references (in-universe)

Post by Dorexx » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:15 am

There are numerous real-life references through-out the franchise, but first, this:

Do you think this is a reference do the actual, real-life equivalent of Darwin? Or is it just someone else in the DB world with that name?

What are the chances of it actually being the real one? I've theorized before that the DB Earth could be a distant future version of real-life, present-day Earth. Could it be?

Share your thoughts.
酷签名

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Explaining real-life references (in-universe)

Post by Saiga » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:30 am

I think it's far too different to fit into an alternate future, so I'll just say that it shares some people by coincidence. :P
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:26 am

I think they are just inside jokes for fun. I won't take them too seriously.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:07 am

Is that Arale's maintenance manual on the bookshelf?
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:56 am

Elsewhere in the anime, Chi-Chi considers naming Gohan "Einstein" and "Archimedes" in that pre-Cell Games filler flashback. In fact, most of the real world references are anime-only, or added in by dubs/Viz. Offhand I can only think of Murasaki's US flag in the manga.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:01 pm

There are the monks that Krillin used to be a part of, although I'm not sure if that is specific enough to be considered a real-life reference. And there are numerous religious references, like crosses and stuff.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Dorexx
Regular

Post by Dorexx » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Herms wrote:In fact, most of the real world references are anime-only, or added in by dubs/Viz.
Seems like it; in DBZ Movie 7, Roshi and Oolong mention Miss Spain, Russia, France and Australia, then in DBZ Movie 8 Roshi says Krillin is the best singer in Japan, not only implying it exists, but that they live in it. Was that just something random he thought of while being drunk? Were they actually in a place called Japan, or maybe a place that used to be or be called Japan?
酷签名

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:There are the monks that Krillin used to be a part of, although I'm not sure if that is specific enough to be considered a real-life reference. And there are numerous religious references, like crosses and stuff.
They're from Orin temple, a parody of the real life Shaolin temple. Which I'd consider a little different than a flat-out reference. It's like the dictator from DBZ movie 12, who is obviously based on Hitler but isn't actually Hitler, or all those Bruce Lee-lookalike who pop up from time to time. Farther afield, the Ginyu Force are based on Tokusentai but are obviously not an actual Tokusentai team.

Thinking more about it, Kuririn also mentions the Olympics, and there's all those references to Buddhism and a few to Christianity. Toriyama also included a bunch of specific car models and brands. And there's that cameo from his Bali friend.

There's also how DB Earth's solar system contains a Jupiter. I do wonder where to draw the line though. Strawberries are real of course, but does Bulma mentioning strawberries count as a real world reference?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Zarathustra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zarathustra » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:06 pm

Always considered the DB world to be ours had it been globalized by mostly anarcho-capitalists.