Dragonball/Z R3 DVD release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Magnaboss
Banned

Dragonball/Z R3 DVD release

Post by Magnaboss » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:50 pm

I was having a look over at these boxsets at Yesasia, they're Japanese/Chinese uncut sets, sans English subtitles, and don't actually look like bootlegs. But I can't help but wonder what they're actually like, since they seem like cheaper alternatives to a Region 2 release (which mind you is nice, however I'm mostly buying the R2 release, not just for quality, but for consistency. ), so I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about them?

DBZ Sets 1-11

Dragonball Collection #1

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:54 pm

I really can't tell you, to be honest. It has a region code, which throws me for a loop, since it's a product out of Hong Kong, which is known for bootleging.

Possibly authentic reproductions, for other areas. (Hence the Japanese/Cantonese language, and Tradition Chinese subtitles.)

But I really don't know.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:03 pm

There are a gazillion completely legit and fantastic quality R3s. In fact, I hear the R3 Kare Kano discs are leagues better than our R1s. I haven't looked at these, so I can't vouch for their authenticity, but do be aware that there are plenty of legit R3s.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:There are a gazillion completely legit and fantastic quality R3s. In fact, I hear the R3 Kare Kano discs are leagues better than our R1s. I haven't looked at these, so I can't vouch for their authenticity, but do be aware that there are plenty of legit R3s.
From my end, of picking over those products, the region wasn't so much the surprise, more Hong Kong itself. When I saw "Hong Kong," I immediately expected to see "region 0", which I like to think of as the almighty identifier of bootlegs (and I imagine I am not alone.)

Either way though, I am not surprised that Magnaboss found them questionable, especially not on the second, which instantly reminded me of the bootleg DragonBoxes that circulate around. (The cover art.)

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:13 am

Well, the fact that they're from a distributor which isn't "animecartoonexpresshousecastle" or something ridiculous, and on the covers for the individual sets there's also the Toei Animation logo... sort of gives it away a bit.

I'd give one a go but I sort of hate buying out in the black on these kinds of things.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:22 am

Magnaboss wrote:Well, the fact that they're from a distributor which isn't "animecartoonexpresshousecastle" or something ridiculous, and on the covers for the individual sets there's also the Toei Animation logo... sort of gives it away a bit.

I'd give one a go but I sort of hate buying out in the black on these kinds of things.
I know what you mean. If I am going to buy something, I want to make sure it's the real deal, and that I am getting exactly what I want, and a decent price.

This process usually runs me about a week, to sort my affairs. Rarely I make buys out of the blue, but those are few and far in between, and just encompus cheap dvds, like a Hercules Mini-Series done by Halmark, that I ordered earlier in the week. Out of the blue, but at $12.00 for it, at DeepDiscountDVD, (where as competing prices, where available were like $18.00, and up,) I justified the purchase as one of those impulse-but-warranted buys.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:56 am

Those are the legitimate Dragon Ball DVD's for Hong Kong, with the TVB dub of Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z and the JP version. Dragon Ball Z has just finished, and the first boxset of DB has just been released.

Don't know about the quality of the DVD's, I have seen the first Buu set of the VCD releases and those were OK for a VCD....

I've been thinking of buying the DB boxset, since I love the Dragon Ball dub. Too bad the TVB dub was censored, so I don't know whether the DVD's are censored too :/

YesAsia doesn't carry bootlegs in his inventory, so you're pretty safe if you find a product in their inventory :)

Edit: too bad the Chinese opening isn't included :/ No Chinese Cha-La Head-Cha-La [not[!] the techno remix found on the web]
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

TtTt

Post by TtTt » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:57 am

hi, just registered today,

i just finish buying the R3 DBZ DVDs this Sept, and the Boxset cover does have the Toei Animation Logo but not for all, think they just tear away the sticker lolx, but for each single DVD, the side cover does have the LOGO imprinted on it.

Every DVD front writes

"1989 Bird Studio/Shueisha, Toei Animation"
Licensed by Toei Enterprises
Licensed to use only in HK/Macau

the DB version is out already... saving up money to buy them... :) it has japanese dialogs too.
Every lie contains truth, every truth contains a lie - Shu (Wu Yung
The Great Intelligence) - Tenki Star of Wisdom

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:50 pm

Can you give us an idea on video quality? Disc packaging?

TtTt

Post by TtTt » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:57 pm

the plastic dvd case is those soft types one and the disc holder is not really that secure, when i received my dvds from yesasia, they all came out of the holder and the disc are scratched severely. Luckily, they do have a refund policy and i send back to them , of course sending them to them is really a hassle and have to wait for 2 weeks to process.
Last edited by TtTt on Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:57 pm

TtTt wrote:hi, just registered today,

i just finish buying the R3 DBZ DVDs this Sept, and the Boxset cover does have the Toei Animation Logo but not for all, think they just tear away the sticker lolx, but for each single DVD, the side cover does have the LOGO imprinted on it.

Every DVD front writes

"1989 Bird Studio/Shueisha, Toei Animation"
Licensed by Toei Enterprises
Licensed to use only in HK/Macau

the DB version is out already... saving up money to buy them... :) it has japanese dialogs too.
Sounds like a bootleg. As well, you'll need to tidy grammar, and remember it's bad to necropost. :D

Edit:
Might not be bootleg, but Hong Kong is a huge tip off. They do have their own regional releases, but they're also big on bootlegs. The back of the one case looks hugely suspicious to boot.

Edit 2:
As well what we're you looking for in posting, to just show off, or to ask a question about them? If you have a question, I am sure myself as well as others could try and answer it.

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:57 pm

Not that I am trying to be authorative, but a necropost in this circumstance is not a bad thing. The topic isn't that old, nor is it redundant.

It's a legitimate release, that has already been established. if it were a bootleg, more than likely it'd be a bit cheaper, Yesasia wouldnt stock it, it'd have dodgy English subtitles, and come in a multifold case.

He's helping and making general discussion that the same time. Take it easy guy :)

edit: Thanks TfTf! I appreciate the information, but tell me, with the show itself, does it include next episode previews? How about the video quality? Screenshots?

TtTt

Post by TtTt » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:23 am

i don't understand what do you guys meant by necroposting?

and lost in thought, i do not get what you mean by showing off, if thats the case, i will remove the pics.

i might not be good in english grammer and you were saying about asking what questions?

you are welcome, magnaboss. nope, there are no previews of the next episode at the end but the video quality is mp2 encoded. And the dvds are all dual-layered.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:38 am

Magnaboss wrote:Not that I am trying to be authorative, but a necropost in this circumstance is not a bad thing. The topic isn't that old, nor is it redundant.
It is though, and it was.
Magnaboss wrote:It's a legitimate release, that has already been established. if it were a bootleg, more than likely it'd be a bit cheaper, Yesasia wouldnt stock it, it'd have dodgy English subtitles, and come in a multifold case.
They don't always come in a multifold case, and it just seemed a little suspicious so I made a small comment on it. And after seeing the pictures he showed (which the back of the case resembled many-a bootleg I've seen) I figured I would remark.
Magnaboss wrote: He's helping and making general discussion that the same time. Take it easy guy :)
I wasn't trying to be harsh, or anything, just trying to see where the thread was going, since all he said was that he bought them, hence me asking if he had a question or something. I figured if he did, I could try to answere it (and I stated as much.)
TtTt wrote:i don't understand what do you guys meant by necroposting?
It's just posting in old topics, and is a small boo-boo on these forums. [It brings old topics back to the top of the listing, with no new information, and thus making it useless and in the way.] None to worry.
TtTt wrote:and lost in thought, i do not get what you mean by showing off, if thats the case, i will remove the pics.
I was just wondering if you had intended on doing something other than talking about your purchas, in your post, in the off chance you had a question that needed to be answered.
TtTt wrote:i might not be good in english grammer and you were saying about asking what questions?
Well, typing properly is a mandate of the boards, so I just made an off hand comment before I got into what I was wondering. Anyway, yeah, I was just wondering if you were going to ask a question about something, since you went to all the trouble of posting pictures of your acquesition.

Anyway, I had no intention of getting on anyones cases for anything, but instead find out if there was anything more to it than showing your purchase. :wink: :)

TtTt

Post by TtTt » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:56 am

ok. no worries man

at least i get to know what is necroposting. But about the R3 dvds, firstly i thought it was a bootleg because its from HK. However the funanimations dvd released in Australia uses the same type of case.

In Singapore you can never find legit DBZ vcds/cds. I did bought some of the bootlegs for DBGT and its all in cantonese dubbing(without subs) and Yesasia are still selling those.

how i got to know about this R3 dvds is through a big poster hanged outside a VCD/DVD shop in Singapore but they only have vcds at that time. Then i knew yesasia are the only ones selling them online, can't seem to find them anywhere.]

I suppose the GT R3 ones will be out soon early next year as the GT R2 is out at May 2005 or maybe after the full release of the DB R3 DVDs

The title of this set of R3 dvds is Dragonball Z but the chinese translation is slightly different stating "LONG ZHU ER SHI"(in chinese) which means like "Resurrection of the Dragonball". sorry for the crappy translation.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:29 pm

Ash wrote:Those are the legitimate Dragon Ball DVD's for Hong Kong, with the TVB dub of Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z and the JP version. Dragon Ball Z has just finished, and the first boxset of DB has just been released.

Don't know about the quality of the DVD's, I have seen the first Buu set of the VCD releases and those were OK for a VCD....

I've been thinking of buying the DB boxset, since I love the Dragon Ball dub. Too bad the TVB dub was censored, so I don't know whether the DVD's are censored too :/

YesAsia doesn't carry bootlegs in his inventory, so you're pretty safe if you find a product in their inventory :)
Edit: too bad the Chinese opening isn't included :/ No Chinese Cha-La Head-Cha-La [not[!] the techno remix found on the web]

I've heard from a Chinese guy that they REDUBBED all dbz for these dvd releases, so it should all be uncut, don't know if they used same voice acters etc. etc. though...

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragonball/Z R3 DVD release

Post by genjosanzo8 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:57 am

Did someone have been able to see how look the legit chinese dvd of Dragon Ball? i have seen the legit dvd chinese of saint seiya and they look better than japanese one so if someone can tell me
thanks

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:15 am

genjosanzo8 wrote:Did someone have been able to see how look the legit chinese dvd of Dragon Ball? i have seen the legit dvd chinese of saint seiya and they look better than japanese one so if someone can tell me
thanks
Wow, you revived an eleven years old topic!

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:25 am

i recently discover a leggit dvd version of saint seiya wich is based from the same japanese master than r2j dvd and this chinese dvd are far superior to japanese one in term of crop (the same as the old master) and are sharpen than the japanese dvd and even blu-ray.... it's just tint and new color... and so i was thinking if the leggit one of dragon ball could be the same

there is many old topics that talk about very interesting and rare things but most people talk about other kind of things that doesn't interest me ;) i'd rather like to revive this one than create another that say the same things

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:36 am

genjosanzo8 wrote:i'd rather like to revive this one than create another that say the same things
We'd rather you didn't.

Just create a new thread.

Thank you.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.