Does anyone else dislike how Toriyama used Future Trunks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Does anyone else dislike how Toriyama used Future Trunks

Post by Jord » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:40 am

To me, the usage of Trunks is horrible. First he beats Frieza and his men in 2 epsiodes and then leaves. This cheats the viewer out of a potentially great Frieza/Cold vs Vegeta/Piccolo/Gohan/others battle which could be interesting considering both Vegeta and Piccolo trained a lot. We also don't know how strong Frieza is so for all we know it could be an even match. Nope, Frieza shows up and jobs right away.

A while later Trunks, the super strong Super Saiya-jin returns and he does nothing of note except going on boring scouting missions and keeps yapping on about how strong the Jinzoningen are. Although he handled Frieza with ease, he is now the main jobber of the saga. He easily gets beaten by 18+18, then he gets outsmarted by Vegeta and Cell. After that he bulks up and jobs once again to Cell. After that, he does in the end battle and we never see him again. When he was introduced, he seems like an interesting character but from his return on, he just grows more and more useless.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does anyone elkse dislike how Toriyama used Future Trunk

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:56 am

Jord wrote: When he was introduced, he seems like an interesting character but from his return on, he just grows more and more useless.
Sounds like almost all of the other characters, doesn't it? :thumbup:
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ManyFaces
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ManyFaces » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:17 am

I think Toriyama should have just kept Future Trunks in the past. If I could somehow redo the Trunks arc, I would make it so Bulma also died in Trunks' universe, then have Trunks flee to the past to not only prevent 17/18 from destroying the world, but to create a new life. Later on, during the Buu arc, he could have trained kid Trunks. I think that would have been interesting. Also, I believe Freeza was actually stronger as a Cyborg, so I'm sure he would have slaughtered Vegeta, Piccolo, etc in no time.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:04 pm

I don't hate how he was used but I don't think he was used in the best way. I like the coda with Trunks returning home and finally bringing peace to his timeline.

With a few changes, I think it would've been more emotionally satisfying to see Trunks be the hero of the story. There's little connection between the villain and the hero in the Cyborg/Cell arc, plus I think Trunks turning SS2 after 16 is destroyed could've meant more than Gohan's transformation. Gohan had zero contact with 16. Having 16's death be the impetus of Trunks' transformation would be a nice way to round out Trunks since he has antipathy (understandably) for the Cyborgs.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:25 pm

I've always thought that the function of Freeza and King Cold to the narrative was simply to introduce Trunks and demonstrate his amazing abilities as opposed to representing any form of real danger or tangible plot-line of their own.

For me the time-travel element makes the Android/Cell arc far more interesting and engaging, and Trunks' deployment in the role as guide for Z warriors makes him far less two dimensional than any other character in the arc. Trunks' character is genuinely haunted by his life experiences, and his blossoming relationship with Vegeta, the father he never knew, is one of the best pieces of mutual character development in all of Z.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:35 pm

At least he's not Kaioshin. I could say that much. :P
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:36 pm

I always wanted more Trunks after the Cell Arc. But with the movies and special he's in, it's enough Trunks for me. And it's nice to see him again in DB Online.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:44 pm

ABED wrote:I don't hate how he was used but I don't think he was used in the best way. I like the coda with Trunks returning home and finally bringing peace to his timeline.

With a few changes, I think it would've been more emotionally satisfying to see Trunks be the hero of the story. There's little connection between the villain and the hero in the Cyborg/Cell arc, plus I think Trunks turning SS2 after 16 is destroyed could've meant more than Gohan's transformation. Gohan had zero contact with 16. Having 16's death be the impetus of Trunks' transformation would be a nice way to round out Trunks since he has antipathy (understandably) for the Cyborgs.
That would be a lot better. Gohan was just suddenly pushed to the forefront. With a good build up Trunks saving the present after seen his horrible future would have been awesome. It could also tie in with him "correcting" the mistake he made in his first fight with Cell.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:48 pm

No. Trunks was a badass, sure he was naive, but he was still a badass. He killed 5 main characters in one arc. Not many people have accomplished such a feat in the series.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:53 pm

I don't know where we got the idea that Vegeta or Piccolo could have even stood a chance against Mecha Frieza (whom is stated to be STRONGER than before) and not to mention his father.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:05 pm

I don't understand? What did he do wrong?

He killed Freeza and Cold like they were toys when the last two volumes Freeza was the shit.
He killed Cell....twice.
He surpassed Initial Cell(Even though he lost)
He saved his timeline.

I mean what more should he had done? He wasn't meant to be the hero of the past timeline. He was only meant to save Goku and help against the Cyborgs.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:43 pm

ManyFaces wrote:I think Toriyama should have just kept Future Trunks in the past. If I could somehow redo the Trunks arc, I would make it so Bulma also died in Trunks' universe, then have Trunks flee to the past to not only prevent 17/18 from destroying the world, but to create a new life. Later on, during the Buu arc, he could have trained kid Trunks. I think that would have been interesting. Also, I believe Freeza was actually stronger as a Cyborg, so I'm sure he would have slaughtered Vegeta, Piccolo, etc in no time.
I like the idea of him staying as Baby-Trunks' "older brother". But I guess it would have been too complicated to explain to the kid.

Besides, Future Earth really needs to get their act together and start poping out new warriors...
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Re: Does anyone else dislike how Toriyama used Future Trunks

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:03 pm

I kinda don't like how he was pushed to the background but after thinking about it, he has a fine arc. And seeing him save his future was very satisfiying.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Trunks was never a leader type. His whole purpose in coming to the past was to basically hand the problem to someone else. So once he finds Goku and Vegeta it's only natural he would take a back seat to them.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:41 pm

Gohan's not a leader either, but at least there's a more interesting connection between Trunks and the villain(s). Gohan does nothing until the end of the arc. He's passive which doesn't make for an interesting hero.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:27 pm

Gohan's connection is to a broader portion of the series. The Cell Saga is just about the Androids, but with Gohan it becomes a "coming of age" story. It connects to Z either way, just different parts of it.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:32 pm

mAcChaos wrote:Gohan's connection is to a broader portion of the series. The Cell Saga is just about the Androids, but with Gohan it becomes a "coming of age" story. It connects to Z either way, just different parts of it.
His coming of age is abrupt in that arc.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:39 pm

You see lots of hints of it as he's training with Goku.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, the Androids leads up to Trunks, but all of DBZ leads up to Gohan's moment.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:24 pm

mAcChaos wrote:You see lots of hints of it as he's training with Goku.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, the Androids leads up to Trunks, but all of DBZ leads up to Gohan's moment.
Which he needs his father to hold his hand for. That's not becoming of the hero of the story that Toriyama tried to make him. Toriyama needed to make him far more proactive in the story for it to truely matter.

Trunks is the instigator of the story, it makes far more sense for him or Goku to be the hero.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:56 pm

I always get a little bothered when people say Trunks should've had a bigger role. He killed Freeza AND Cell and saved two universes from the androids. What more do you want? You want him to kill Cell THRICE? You want him to take one character's only real accomplishment? Hell, the only real accomplishment from ANYONE in this arc except him?

Yeah no. If anything I would cut back on his role. His big moment was killing the androids; I don't think he needed to kill Freeza and Cold.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.