Dragonball Movie Box (Funi)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Dragonball Movie Box (Funi)

Post by Dayspring » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:03 am

Got it yesterday. My first time seeing all three movies, so I was happy. As usual, the subbing was of pneomenal quality. Didn't watch any dubs, which I know is exactly what you want to hear about - movie 2's dubbing quality- but too bad. Purpose of the thread is to see ppl's reactions, etc, about the box set. Personally I find it disconcerting that they quite literally call it the "Dragonball Movies Box Set." Does such a title infer no plans to ever re-release movie 1, as Path to Power tells the same story (sort of)?

Anyhoo, time for the fanboy part of the discussion: "Where do the movies take place in canon if they could?!"

Path to Power: Can't. Takes place instead of first three sagas. :P

Sleeping Princess: Can't, but wish it did. Takes place instead of rock-searching aspect and "go get me a Pichi-Pichi gal!" aspects of Kamesennin's training.

Mystical Adventure: Can't. Replaces 21st and 22nd budokai arcs as well as Karin Tower arc. Chaozu finally serves a purpose in DB! However, he makes the relationship with Tenshinhan even creepier.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:54 am

Can the three movies fit together with themselves?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:08 pm

Hey, I know this is a long shot but did they re-dub movie 2 and 3's Goku? I know this is a stupid question but, you never know.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:28 pm

I'm curious about the dubbing of Goku's voice as well. By the way, where were you able to get it so early? I have mine pre-ordered from overstock.com and it still won't ship until the 6th.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:05 pm

Who owns the rights to movie 1, is it Funimation or Kidmark? If it is indeed Kidmark (since they own the rights to episodes 1-13 still, and that DVD volume includes movie 1), then that's why Funimation isn't releasing it in this boxset.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:27 pm

tarsonis wrote:Who owns the rights to movie 1, is it Funimation or Kidmark? If it is indeed Kidmark (since they own the rights to episodes 1-13 still, and that DVD volume includes movie 1), then that's why Funimation isn't releasing it in this boxset.
You are very correct, it is indeed Kidmark/Trimark who owns the home video rights to the movie. For whatever good it does them. (You know, since they probably make literally zilch off of it in the first place.)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:43 pm

Rocketman wrote:Can the three movies fit together with themselves?
Yup. I watched them in order of Path to Power, Sleeping Princess and Mystical Adventure. They didn't contradict each other in the least, but obviously greatly contradicted the manga's events. Only Path to Power and Curse of the Blood Rubies (the one not included in the set) would contradict.

Path to Power is a retelling of the first saga, using the Red Ribbon Army(without the Tao Pai Pai and Penguin Village parts) instead of Pilaf. Sleeping Princess is a what if scenario that takes place instead of the "Pichi Pichi Gal" sub-quest prior to Goku+Krillin's training. Movie 3's events take place after Goku+Krillin's training (the opening intro being during their training), instead of the 21st budokai.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:28 pm

I've seen the second movie dubbed on VHS. Goku and Krillin have the same voices as they do in the third. Yamcha sounds like a complete surfer dude, moreso than he did in DBZ Season 3. Bulma's not as annoying as she normally is. They didn't dub or use Makafushigi Adventure and instead used the dub Dragon Ball theme back from 1995.

Oh yeah, Lunch actually sounded BETTER there than she did in the third movie and the series when in her blonde form. She actually has a "bad girl" tone in her voice, rather than a woman trying to sound like a rough man. o_O;

From the way the packaging of the DVDs look, I'd say it seems like movies 3 and 4 are the same. Movie 2 is probably the same as it was but with Japanese audio and subtitles. :s

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:28 pm

Tsukento wrote: Oh yeah, Lunch actually sounded BETTER there than she did in the third movie and the series when in her blonde form. She actually has a "bad girl" tone in her voice, rather than a woman trying to sound like a rough man. o_O;
That is because in that movie, Lunch was voiced by Monika Antonelli (the voice of Puar) rather than Meredith McCoy. I think that Bulma also sounded diffrent than she does in the series.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:49 pm

Isnt Monika Antonelli Lunch's blue haired form and Meredith Mccoy her blond haired form? And I'm pretty sure they dubbed Mystical Adventure before re-dubbing DB, so of course some of the VA's would be different. I'm kinda glad they didnt stick with Ceyli Delgadillo as Goku, she just didnt do Goku justice.

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:37 am

Sun_Wukong wrote:Isnt Monika Antonelli Lunch's blue haired form and Meredith Mccoy her blond haired form? And I'm pretty sure they dubbed Mystical Adventure before re-dubbing DB, so of course some of the VA's would be different. I'm kinda glad they didnt stick with Ceyli Delgadillo as Goku, she just didnt do Goku justice.
No, in the series Meredith McCoy voices both.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:59 am

It seems that Ms. Antonelli did Lunch at first during the series as well. It's later when Ms. McCoy does her. It's more visible with the blond Lunch who has the tough New Yorker accent.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:07 am

That NY accent really started to get annoying towards the end of DB.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:44 pm

Slickmasterfunk wrote:I'm curious about the dubbing of Goku's voice as well. By the way, where were you able to get it so early? I have mine pre-ordered from overstock.com and it still won't ship until the 6th.
I did the same thing, Funk. Dayspring, how did you get the box so freaking early?!

(Li'l Lemmy, the outraged! . . . well, not really.)

EDIT: Funk, have you ordered from overstock.com before? This is my first purchase, so any thoughts you'd have on their speed or reliability would be appreciated.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:18 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
Slickmasterfunk wrote:By the way, where were you able to get it so early? I have mine pre-ordered from overstock.com and it still won't ship until the 6th.
I did the same thing, Funk. Dayspring, how did you get the box so freaking early?!
I didn't get it THAT early, we're talking 5 days earlier than the States at most. :roll:

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:15 am

Got mine today. I'm enjoying it but why isn't there a chapter selection menu for Sleeping Princess? Just seems weird to me.

Lemmy: Sorry it took so long to answer you since you probably have gotten your box set too. Yes, I have ordered from Overstock.com dozens of times, mostly Dragon Ball related. If the items is in stock it usually takes about 8 days from the order date to get it here in upstate New York.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:27 pm

I didn't get it THAT early, we're talking 5 days earlier than the States at most
Five days seems to make all the difference with most people.

Anyway, I heard something a while back (might have been this board, even), that Kidmark was actually EXTENDING their contract for the "Saga of Goku" + Curse of the Blood Rubies.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:02 am

By the way, I noticed that in a DBZ episode from the Great Saiyaman saga, when Gohan was training with Videl and Goten, there was a scene where Chi-chi was telling them about a 'date' that she had with Goku. In it, Goku says at first "Gosh, are we supposed to do something since this is like a date?" with his voice done by Ceyli Delgadillo, and then after Chichi speaks, Goku follows up with "Oh I get it! The most pleasureable thing!" with his voice done by Stephanie Nadolny...did anyone else catch that little goof?

ignition

Post by ignition » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:42 am

Sounds like something Kidmark would do.

Although you gotta figure their copyright would expire sometimes soon... of course, from what I remember from my undergrad course in intellectual property law, it could be a while :?

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:53 am

ignition wrote:Sounds like something Kidmark would do.

Although you gotta figure their copyright would expire sometimes soon... of course, from what I remember from my undergrad course in intellectual property law, it could be a while :?
It has expired already, from what we can tell they renewed it... so that idea is shot right out the window.