Really bad compression on orange bricks?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Really bad compression on orange bricks?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:27 pm

I just got season 3 from amazon (which there not selling right now because of an issue.) and I noticed that some actions scenes have really bad microblocking. I've never seen this on the other seasons I own.

Anyone else notice this?

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Really bad compression on orange bricks?

Post by Gutsxgoku » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Try season 1 episode 23 I believe where Nappa is charging up and the whole screen is shaking... It is a million times worse than this and it's the same problem.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Do you mean the missing lines? I was aware of those, though I did not it happened in non sharking scenes too, I mean how the quality looks like a bad episode download (this is straight from the DVD)

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gutsxgoku » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:49 pm

Yes I know. You can find these problems all over the place... That is the real reason I sold all mine off and opted for the new blu rays as these problems are fixed on those.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:52 pm

Ah! I see. I only knew about the lines. I was surprised because the pixelation on some scenes looks worse than the pioneer singles. :? I mean, it doesnt happen all the time but when it does it's really obvious since the rest of the picture is clearer than the DVDs prior

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gutsxgoku » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:56 pm

Yeah man so far the new blu rays show no signs of having these problems. If I was rich I would be sitting on dragon boxes but the way it's going I'll have to stick with the new blu's and pray for another solid release like the dragon boxes sometime in the future.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:03 pm

They have a smidge better audio than the Dragon box though ;)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Even the early Dragon Boxes have noticeable macroblocking in high paced scenes. I think the first few orange bricks were still back when FUNimation's old video guy was still around. After he left in 2008 or so, their encoding noticeably improved.

The compression in general improves greatly during season six. In addition to the reduced noise reduction, there is far less macroblocking, and seemingly has less compression issues than FUNimation's Dragon Boxes.

SS:

DBOX:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:27 pm

Dang! And the Dragon Boxes came later! I noticed it on the Dragon Box as well, I though perhaps the Japanese Dbox did the same.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:43 pm

It's kind of an inevitability. I've noticed a lot of macroblocking on the Dragon Box and Kai as well, particularly on blacks:
Vegeta's hair looks like a badly compressed jpeg on the Dragon Box shot, and there's some weird garbled artifacts on his hair in Kai. Granted, I didn't even notice until I took these shots, so there's that.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:47 pm

Levlik wrote:It's kind of an inevitability. I've noticed a lot of macroblocking on the Dragon Box and Kai as well, particularly on blacks:
Vegeta's hair looks like a badly compressed jpeg on the Dragon Box shot, and there's some weird garbled artifacts on his hair in Kai. Granted, I didn't even notice until I took these shots, so there's that.
I can't quite remember but that's really a screenshot from Kai (last time I watched it was 2012)? God, that looks like they drew Vegeta on Paint.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Yeah, it's one of the many redrawn vector shots in Kai and the reason I took the pictures as a comparison between the hand drawn and the digital frames. I didn't mention anything since I didn't want to derail the topic, haha. It's mostly why I don't like Kai. The vector shots are very quick and they're always disorienting because it'll stay at the original film for a few seconds, then quickly go to a redrawn scene for a few frames, then immediately cut back to the original film. Here's a couple more comparison shots from the same scene if you're interested:
Like I said, these shots usually only last for a few seconds most of the time, but they're just so frequent and so inconsistent with the look of the rest of the show that it really bothers my eyes whenever I watch it. Like my mind just goes into a "Wait what just happened to the picture?" thought whenever it happens. And now I'm derailing the thread. Whoops.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:42 am

Levlik wrote:Yeah, it's one of the many redrawn vector shots in Kai and the reason I took the pictures as a comparison between the hand drawn and the digital frames. I didn't mention anything since I didn't want to derail the topic, haha. It's mostly why I don't like Kai. The vector shots are very quick and they're always disorienting because it'll stay at the original film for a few seconds, then quickly go to a redrawn scene for a few frames, then immediately cut back to the original film. Here's a couple more comparison shots from the same scene if you're interested:
Like I said, these shots usually only last for a few seconds most of the time, but they're just so frequent and so inconsistent with the look of the rest of the show that it really bothers my eyes whenever I watch it. Like my mind just goes into a "Wait what just happened to the picture?" thought whenever it happens. And now I'm derailing the thread. Whoops.
Why did they re-draw scenes in the first place ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:51 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:Dang! And the Dragon Boxes came later! I noticed it on the Dragon Box as well, I though perhaps the Japanese Dbox did the same.
Those Dragon Boxes came out all the way back in 2003.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:59 am

sintzu wrote:Why did they re-draw scenes in the first place ?
From the production guide...
- Update ki attacks with modern effects.

- Remove bright flashing and strobe effects.

- Correct animation errors and inconsistencies from the original series.

- Extend certain fullscreen scenes horizontally to ensure key elements properly fit within the cropped widescreen framing.

- Edit scenes that are deemed to contain unsuitable or obscene footage.
-Joey

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:57 am

It doesn't help that a lot of those drawings weren't exactly good to begin with. Some of the redrawn shots in Kai look alright; particularly those (very, very few) where they actually bothered to do some line-weighting.

Anyway, on-topic-ish, I've been watching my Spectacular Spider-Man DVDs on my new TV and have seen some pretty noticeable compression around the line work when the characters are in-motion. Though I am watching a DVD on a blu-ray player, through an HDMI cable, on a brand new TV too...so I'm not sure the artifacts there are actually any worse than they would look on even the best-encoded DVDs, perhaps just more noticeable because of the setup.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:09 am

Are the discs single-layered? If so, that's a Chinese dead copy. I have it, too. Look closely at the booklets. They're awkwardly blurred.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:32 am

kei17 wrote:Are the discs single-layered? If so, that's a Chinese dead copy. I have it, too. Look closely at the booklets. They're awkwardly blurred.
On my dvd or the spiderman dvd?

Edit: just checked my orange bricks and they're duel layered. Do you have any pics of the chinese sets? I'm interested in seeing them as I has no idea they existed lol

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:56 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:Edit: just checked my orange bricks and they're duel layered. Do you have any pics of the chinese sets? I'm interested in seeing them as I has no idea they existed lol
It looks almost legit apparently.

However, all the discs are re-compressed into single-layer except for disc 6 which is originally single-layered.

It turned out to be even worse. So, yours is legit.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:21 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Even the early Dragon Boxes have noticeable macroblocking in high paced scenes.
Could I get an episode number and approximate time stamp for this shot? I'm interested to see if the extra 2K bitrate on my Japanese Dragon Boxes makes much of a difference.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.