Dragon Ball Movie 1

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Movie 1

Post by NessMudkip » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:34 am

So, if I'm correct, I've found that there is currently no way to own the first Dragon Ball movie with it's original Japanese title card. By the looks of things, the first uncut release was in 2010, and it has that white bar thing that FUNimation likes putting on their movies. Am I correct? If so, I'll probably start collecting the movies with the edited title cards, and then wait for a possible DBOX The Movies, I think, rather than have an inconsistent collection.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 1

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:29 am

Haven't seen the Funimation version, but from what I heard, it was like Dead Zone in having no title show up in the movie, and only named in its Japanese video release.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:59 am

Not true. It has its Dragon Ball logo before the opening theme and replaces the logo that's normally in the opening theme with the name of the movie. Unless they actually physically altered the movie to make that change for home video, which would be inconsistent with DBZ movie 1 where they did nothing except name it on the video box, it's always had that title.

Image Image

As opposed to:

Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:57 am

It actually was titled just "Dragon Ball" when it hit the screen, though.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:59 am

I know the posters only say Dragon Ball, but, as far as I know, the movie itself has always had the Legend of Shenlong title card in it.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4