Can the Kienzan cut through anything?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Can the Kienzan cut through anything?

Post by xmysticgohanx » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:59 pm

Well can it?
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

hulkty
Banned

Re: Can the Kienzan cut through anything?

Post by hulkty » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:17 am

xmysticgohanx wrote:Well can it?
Sure, but no one tries it unless they know the enemy will regenerate. LOL!! :lol:

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:19 am

Everything except Vinegar's teeth. :lol:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Darkron2151
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkron2151 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:52 am

Well, Krillin's didn't do anything to Perfect Cell, but that's the anime. :P Plus that could've been just from power difference.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:27 am

Seeing as how a very powerful scream can tear a hole in the dimensions (see Gotenks and Super Buu in the ROSAT), I'm sure a powerful enough Kienzan could cut through anything.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:07 am

Yes. The level gap between Krillin and second form Freeza was ridiculous, If Freeza was cut, Kienzan can cut through anything...Now all Krillin needs to do is learn how to telepathically control it, reduce the buzz saw sound, figure a way to send 10 of them at an enemy at once, and Taiyoken EVERYONE.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:57 pm

The problem with calculating the Destructo Disk's ability to cut through anything, as you phrase it, is that I'm not sure that we have enough information to establish its power. For instance, whenever its used, do any of the characters claim that it can cut through anything? I don't believe so, so we can't really rely on anything anyone says about it. Two, what do we actually see it cut? I'm fairly certain that, besides rock and flesh, we never see the attack actually cut through anything particularly substantial (after all, the Destructo Disk is not the only attack that can break rocks or kill people; it simply slices as oppose to disintegrating).

In short, like the discussion about whether or not Shenron can revive individual people if they've been dead for longer than a year, there's precious little to actually go off of to have a meaningful discussion. There simply has never been a real opportunity to measure its power. Rock is hard as it is, but that's not unique to the attack- so ultimately, whether or not the Destructo Disk can cut through anything is an open-ended question with no answer.

On the other hand, it looks awesome and its really really sharp, so who knows? I guess the ultimate test would be to see if it can slice through Katchin- now that, I think, would answer this question definitively.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:12 pm

Well when it cut Freeza, I'm sure he was caught off guard a bit since he saw it last second. But in general I think it can cut through anything weaker than the disc itself. It broke on Cell's neck, I don't know if he was completely on guard or if he just so strong it had no effect.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:30 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Yes. The level gap between Krillin and second form Freeza was ridiculous, If Freeza was cut, Kienzan can cut through anything...Now all Krillin needs to do is learn how to telepathically control it, reduce the buzz saw sound, figure a way to send 10 of them at an enemy at once, and Taiyoken EVERYONE.
The gap between Kuririn and Freeza isn't infinite, though. So that is insufficient to say it can cut through anything, it can however cut through people much stronger than Kuririn. Given how much the battle powers after that point spiral out of control, it wouldn't be surprising if later characters would be unaffected by the Kienzan.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:29 pm

Oh, I realized I made a mistake. Vinegar caught it with his bare hand, not his teeth. Must've had Abridged on my mind. :D
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:30 am

The idea that it could literally cut through anything just seems a bit... dumb, honestly. "Literally unstoppable" techniques don't seem to exist in Dragonball. The Mafuuba can be countered or avoided, barriers can be broken through with enough force, regeneration doesn't help much when someone's just overwhelmingly stronger than you, dragon wishes can be resisted by someone who's too strong, and so on. Even being turned into a tiny piece of candy by magic can be counteracted by someone powerful enough (...though the Potara's own weird properties might've been involved there, too.)

I figure it's more like how the anime portrayed it, rather than literally cutting anything. If you use it on someone who's just that much stronger than you--Krillin vs. Perfect Cell for example--it wouldn't be able to cut them. Maybe it would "break" or explode or maybe it would just kind of bounce off harmlessly or fizzle out, either way works. And of course, someone who's quick (and careful) enough could dodge it or even catch it. Maybe even destroy it with another ki blast, like clay pigeon vs. shotgun blast (it is disc-shaped and all...)

It's just a special ki attack that happens to be a buttload better at cutting stuff than, say, Krillin slashing at somebody with a sword (and it would still be a buttload better at cutting stuff than that even if Krillin was like Yajirobe and Trunks combined in sword skill.) It could kill someone on Nappa's level back when Krillin needed to team up with several others just to sorta kinda hold off Nappa, and it could at least seriously injure someone on Freeza's level back when Krillin was in the "upper-end Ginyu Force" range--so it's a pretty powerful attack for sure. But it's not perfect, because nothing is.

CordonBloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by CordonBloo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:38 am

I'm gonna say yes it can but that doesn't mean it always will. If you stood there like a lemon and let it come at you, then you're probably gonna die.
CORDON BLOO TO THE RESCOO!