When will you guys stop buying DBZ home releases?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JEFFMAN219
Regular

When will you guys stop buying DBZ home releases?

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:28 am

Will you guys ever stop buying Dragon Ball Z home releases?

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: When will you guys stop buying DBZ home releases?

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:30 am

I already stopped, for the time being. Got the 8 parts of Kai and when the retails of the Buu arc come out i'll grab those and i'm done for the foreseeable future.

If we ever get a Kai treatment for the original Dragonball series and movies i'd buy those as well.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:39 am

The only Z release i have is the dragon box and i don't plan on getting anything else
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:55 am

I've already stopped for the most part too. While I'd love to have the rest of the Dragon Boxes, I just can't justify paying the prices they go for nowadays for something I already own - hell, I couldn't justify paying $50 for them back when they first came out for the same reason. So as things stand now, I already own all of DB, Z, and GT, including their movies, so the only things I need to get are Season Four of Kai, the rest of Kai as it comes out, and any other actual 'new' material that may come out.

Oh, well that and the old Chinese live action movie. But that's pretty low on my list of purchasing pursuits. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:55 am

Funimation's new Blu-ray release is my last Z buy. I do have plans on getting Z Kai because I like the new intro and music. But I already own Dragon-boxes 1,3,5,6, & 7 so if I ever wanted to watch a nice quality release they're there on my shelf. I would like to see Funimation remaster the movies like the level sets but I doubt that'll happen. I would like to see Dragon-box the movies, GT, and the original series released here in the states in Dragon-box format. whether that'll happen or not I don't know. but I'm just tired of buying Z.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:02 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I've already stopped for the most part too. While I'd love to have the rest of the Dragon Boxes, I just can't justify paying the prices they go for nowadays for something I already own - hell, I couldn't justify paying $50 for them back when they first came out for the same reason. So as things stand now, I already own all of DB, Z, and GT, including their movies, so the only things I need to get are Season Four of Kai, the rest of Kai as it comes out, and any other actual 'new' material that may come out.

Oh, well that and the old Chinese live action movie. But that's pretty low on my list of purchasing pursuits. :P
It's funny that you bring that up because I dig stuff like that and here lately I've been thinking about buying the Chinese live action movie too haha Now one thing I almost refuse to buy and that's Dragonball Evolution.....I don't even want a penny going to that. LOL
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:05 am

samuraix123 wrote:It's funny that you bring that up because I dig stuff like that and here lately I've been thinking about buying the Chinese live action movie too haha Now one thing I almost refuse to buy and that's Dragonball Evolution.....I don't even want a penny going to that. LOL
It's not that I have super low expectations for it or anything (nor do I expect anything grand - I know very well what I'll be getting in to with it :P ), it's just that there are a lot of other things I'd rather get first.

Sadly I do have Evolution though, but thankfully it was a birthday gift so I didn't spend any on it either. It's been watched exactly twice - once when I first got it, and again when I made my girlfriend watch it, cuz I'm evil like that. :mrgreen:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:06 am

I guess I'm fine with the original FUNimation/Pioneer DVD singles. But the day we get a complete Blu-Ray release of both Dragon Ball and DBZ with the quality of the Levels (maybe even in 4K to remain future-proof) is the day I retire from buying DBZ home releases. It could happen...
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:07 am

Well I have quite a ways to go to build my Dragonball collection. After the blu-rays of Z, I plan to pick up the movies( probably the movie packs as the blu-rays are too expensive and don't look that different to the DVD counterparts), then after that I'll pick up the original DB & DBGT from Manga UK (unless Funi announce BD's). Then after that I'll pick Kai up again (hopefully MangaUK will pick this up by then!)

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:22 am

I'm Done. I own the vhs tapes of Dragon Ball Z for the dub, and I have the dragon boxes for the japanese version. There's still some stuff from the other 2 series I would get, but for Z, I'm finished.
Neo died for our smiths.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:44 am

Very interesting topic for FUNimation :lol: They'll read this topic very carefully (Hi Gen, what's up ? :wave: )
On the "japanese side"...unless Toei/Pony Canyon makes a HD version of the Dragon Boxes including the original japanese broadcast audio (guys, if you're reading us :wave: ) , I don't plan to buy anything.
And concerning the english dub...I plan to buy Battle of Gods & the "Kai" Buu Saga...once that is done, yes, I can say with certainty that I'll stop buying DB home releases.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:47 am

Once I'm done buying the new Z blu rays I''m gonna stop buying DBZ. I might get the boo saga of Kai though but not sure yet.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:57 am

I'm done with Z until we get a release worth buying.

I'll pick up the Japanese Blu-rays of Boo Kai so I can have that cut properly. I'll just sync up my subtitles like I did the last time. I'll pick up FUNi's release too just to have their releases complete on my shelf and to own the international cut in some form. I'm also interested in the uncut dub to some extent so that'll be nice to have.

Z though? Nah. Totally done until we get a proper HD remaster that doesn't look like some AMV YouTuber shit out his amateur Sony Vegas filters all over it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:11 pm

I haven't bought any DBZ home releases since the DBZ box 1 when it came out. I wish I hold on to it since I had no idea how much money they would be. I lost faith in DBZ home releases when the orange bricks were coming out.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:15 pm

If they ever finished the level sets (probably) I think right now it would be the Dragon Box

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:25 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I haven't bought any DBZ home releases since the DBZ box 1 when it came out. I wish I hold on to it since I had no idea how much money they would be. I lost faith in DBZ home releases when the orange bricks were coming out.
Ya man trying to buy a proper Dragon Ball Z home release has been an nightmare for me. I wish I would of gotten the Dragon Boxes when they were in print.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:49 pm

I bought bootlegs maybe 10 years ago and then I bought Funimation's Dragon Boxes a few years ago. For me in terms of Z that's it, I've got all I need.

For everything else I'm still waiting for a Dragon Box treatment since it seems nothing got a decent release, original, GT, Kai or movies.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:28 pm

I have the Dagon Box Z so I don't need anything Z. I would like more Dragon Boxes and remaster of the movies in 4x3

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:31 pm

I actually don't own a significant collection of Dragon Ball home releases. The only ones I have on my shelves are a couple movie singles and the first three Blue Bricks, which I stopped buying when I found they featured zoomed-in footage. I haven't gotten around to buying Kai yet, but when I do it will be my only complete purchase of part of the series until Funimation puts out a quality release again.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:11 pm

The only home releases I'll be purchasing are Kai, and any new movies. I don't foresee ever buying another edition of DBZ after the Dragon Boxes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.