does instant transmission = teleportation?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

does instant transmission = teleportation?

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:30 pm

I know there is also a technique called instantaneous movement, so I suppose that should also be added to the discussion.

So first off, I'm under the impression that all the characters in the DBU can perform teleportation. I've almost all of them do it. With that being said, it seems that instant transmission is a much more advanced form of teleporting, in which the user can move in much greater distances, at much greater speeds, but it only works if they follow someone's ki, or something like that. I'm under the impression that instantaneous movement works just as well, but does not need to rely on following ki for a destination.

What's good?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: does instant transmission = teleportation?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:32 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:I know there is also a technique called instantaneous movement, so I suppose that should also be added to the discussion.

So first off, I'm under the impression that all the characters in the DBU can perform teleportation. I've almost all of them do it. With that being said, it seems that instant transmission is a much more advanced form of teleporting, in which the user can move in much greater distances, at much greater speeds, but it only works if they follow someone's ki, or something like that. I'm under the impression that instantaneous movement works just as well, but does not need to rely on following ki for a destination.

What's good?
Instant Transmission and Instantaneous Movement are both teleportation. The characters who don't use these techniques are not teleporting.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:34 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
i'mfuckingevil wrote:I know there is also a technique called instantaneous movement, so I suppose that should also be added to the discussion.

What's good?
Instant Transmission and Instantaneous Movement are both teleportation. The characters who don't use these techniques are not teleporting.
They don't? So what was Gohan doing when he was moving everyone to safety when fighting the Cell Jrs? Or what was Krillin doing when he was trying to distract Super Buu to help his friends and family escape? Or what was Gohan doing as Saiyaman when Videl was following him?

At least in the anime.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:35 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:

What's good?
They don't? So what was Gohan doing when he was moving everyone to safety when fighting the Cell Jrs? Or what was Krillin doing when he was trying to distract Super Buu to help his friends and family escape? Or what was Gohan doing as Saiyaman when Videl was following him?

At least in the anime.
Moving really fast.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:41 pm

Yes. The original "shunkan ido" is just the Japanese term for teleportation. English terms like "instant movement/transmission" are just more literal translations of those two words. Viz probably had the right idea in just calling it "Teleportation" rather than trying to sell it as a fancy technique word like FUNimation did.

The only characters I can remember who can teleport are Kami (to and from Enma's office), Goku (and half-Goku Fusions), the Yardratans, Kibito (and Kaioshin after they merged), and Pure Boo (after copying from Kaioshin). The more common "vanishing" seen by others like in the instances you listed is just using bursts of super-fast movement over short distances. Characters have been doing that since the 21st tournament way back in the early parts of the manga.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:43 pm

Kaboom wrote:Yes. The original "shunkan ido," is just the Japanese term for teleportation. English terms like "instant movement/transmission" are just more literal translations of those two words. Viz probably had the right idea in just calling it "Teleportation" rather than trying to sell it as a fancy technique word like FUNimation did.

The only characters I can remember who can teleport are Kami (to and from Enma's office), Goku (and half-Goku Fusions), the Yardratans, Kibito (and Kaioshin after they merged), and Pure Boo (after copying from Kaioshin). The more common "vanishing" seen by others like in the instances you listed is just using bursts of super-fast movement over short distances. Characters have been doing that since the 21st tournament way back in the early parts of the manga.
You forgot Super Perfect Cell. Kaio does it as well, in the anime (or at least the dub; I seem to recall there being some controversy over that a while back.) Oh, and Metal Cooler if you want to throw in the movies, but I'm of the opinion that regular Cooler could as well.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:46 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:You forgot Super Perfect Cell. Kaio does it as well, in the anime (or at least the dub; I seem to recall there being some controversy over that a while back.) Oh, and Metal Cooler if you want to throw in the movies, but I'm of the opinion that regular Cooler could as well.
Oh right, Cell and Coola. Otherwise yeah, any indication of Kaio doing it is either an anime-only or dub-only thing.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:52 pm

The Shunkan Idou and Kibito's Instantaneous Movement techniques are the only true teleportation abilities. When we see those instances of characters "blurring out" and disappearing from sight during battle, such as here, isn't actual teleportation, but simply super speed to where they're moving faster than ordinary eyes can see. Those individuals are still there, but simply moving at rates to where they can't be seen. However, because they're still there, they're still being affected (or potentially affected) by things around them.

Let's say there's a point A and a point B, and there's a huge rain storm going between the two points. An individual using Shunkan Idou could get between point A and B without getting wet, whereas individuals using super speed to the point where they can't physically be seen would still get wet.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:You forgot Super Perfect Cell. Kaio does it as well, in the anime (or at least the dub; I seem to recall there being some controversy over that a while back.) Oh, and Metal Cooler if you want to throw in the movies, but I'm of the opinion that regular Cooler could as well.
Cell definitively can, as well as Meta Coola. I personally don't believe that regular Coola could, since I can't imagine him getting pushed into the Sun if he had a way of escaping like that.

As for Kaiou's situation, it's really hard to say. We know that it's anime only, but whether that was meant to actually be Shunkan Idou he was using during that filler scene is uncertain.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:00 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
Cell definitively can, as well as Meta Coola. I personally don't believe that regular Coola could, since I can't imagine him getting pushed into the Sun if he had a way of escaping like that.
The same reason Goku couldn't teleport during Pure Buu's attack when he destroyed the Earth: he couldn't concentrate on finding an energy source to teleport to.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:40 am

Kaboom wrote:Otherwise yeah, any indication of Kaio doing it is either an anime-only or dub-only thing.
It's a dub-only thing.

Kibito/Kaioshin/Pure Boo's form of teleportation is technically called "Kai-Kai", though this name is only used once in the manga, when Kibito takes Gohan to the Kaioshin Realm.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Angelus » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:08 am

The only difference between Goku's IT and Kibito's I'm is that Goku can teleport to a targeted "ki signature/s" while Kibito can teleport directly to a location.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:26 am

What exactly does the anime say about King Kai? That he can do it himself, or merely that he could've taught it to Goku?

Because he teaches the Kaioken to Goku, and he specifically says that it's a technique he cannot himself do. And if he can teach one technique without being able to use it, he could do the same with multiple techniques.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:37 am

Tectorman wrote:What exactly does the anime say about King Kai? That he can do it himself, or merely that he could've taught it to Goku?

Because he teaches the Kaioken to Goku, and he specifically says that it's a technique he cannot himself do. And if he can teach one technique without being able to use it, he could do the same with multiple techniques.
No, he specifically stated that it was a technique that he wasn't able to master, not that he wasn't able to do. As for the Kaiou scene, he mentions that he knows where it's from, and that he could have taught it to Goku had he asked. At the same time he was saying that, you see him seemingly teleport around rapidly, as if he were using it as well.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:23 am

The fastest character for short distance in dbz would technically go to guldo.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:12 am

flashback0180 wrote:The fastest character for short distance in dbz would technically go to guldo.
didn't vegeta out speed him?

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:04 am

But then again, according to the Metal Cooler OVA, the "teleportation" technique actually involves shifting yourself into some sort of subdimension (akin to hyperspace in science-fiction) and moving there before shifting back to the normal physical world. This is most probably not canon, of course.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:39 am

Re: original post

"Instantaneous Movement" is "Instant Transmission" is teleportation. That's what Shunkan Idō means.

(Yes, I know it's literally "instantaneous movement", but it's the standard gloss for the English word "teleportation".)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:17 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
But then again, according to the Metal Cooler OVA, the "teleportation" technique actually involves shifting yourself into some sort of subdimension (akin to hyperspace in science-fiction) and moving there before shifting back to the normal physical world. This is most probably not canon, of course.
Considering that it's only movies 6 and 8 that show that it works that way, and that nothing of the sort is ever said or suggested anywhere else, I think it's safe to say that it doesn't work that way.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:25 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:
Considering that it's only movies 6 and 8 that show that it works that way, and that nothing of the sort is ever said or suggested anywhere else, I think it's safe to say that it doesn't work that way.
Would it working that way really contradict anything, though?
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:37 pm

In the first Broly movie, yet another version is shown, where transparent Goku flies through space really fast.