How could Vegeta, without turning SSJ3, surpass Goku in BoG?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

How could Vegeta, without turning SSJ3, surpass Goku in BoG?

Post by Angelus » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:08 am

Shouldn't he have turned SSJ3? I mean what the... a non-fused SSJ2 that could surpass a non-fused SSJ3? :think:

hleV
Banned

Re: How could Vegeta, without turning SSJ3, surpass Goku in

Post by hleV » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:11 am

He could not, BOG is full of shit.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:32 am

Exactly the way he did. By gettin' his righteous fury on, and basically fast-burning all his ki for a large but momentary power boost.

"Rage boosts" that make the Saiyan several times stronger have happened before. Apparently now they can happen for Vegeta, too.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:03 am

I think it's just part of the new approach Toriyama is taking with these things. It may not quite jive with traditional views of how Super Saiyan transformations work, but I think it's actually got a fairly consistent internal logic.

See, fans have gotten used to the idea of the different Super Saiyan forms working like multipliers, so that if regular Goku's X, then as a Super Saiyan he'll be 50X, then 100X as Super Saiyan 2, then 400X for SSj3. That's how the guidebooks described them, and while not all fans got behind those specific numbers, it's been pretty standard to think of the forms as working basically along those lines. A given transformation will make somebody Y times stronger, and the only way for a regular Super Saiyan character to be stronger than a Super Saiyan 2/3 character is if that character's base form is way, way stronger than the other guy's. And even if someone like Vegetto is vastly stronger as an ordinary Super Saiyan than Goku or Gotenks are as Super Saiyan 3s, he'd be even more ridiculously powerful as a Super Saiyan 3 himself. The higher Super Saiyan forms may burn through stamina faster, but overall they're huge improvements on regular Super Saiyan, and there will always be big gaps between the different forms.

...That was the standard view anyway, but it seems Toriyama doesn't see things that way, at least not anymore. BoG presents pissed-off regular Super Saiyan Vegeta as flat-out stronger than Goku, making him presumably stronger than even SSj3 Goku. Then after absorbing the power of Super Saiyan God, Goku holds his own against Beerus much better than he did before as a SSj3. Becoming a regular Super Saiyan again seems to give him a boost, but not really make him that much stronger, since he still can't manage to turn the tables against Beerus. In an interview after BoG's release, Toriyama clarified that from now on Goku will just stick to mastering his regular form and ordinary Super Saiyan, and probably won't bother with Super Saiyan 2 or 3 anymore since they sap too much strength. This of course makes little sense under the traditional view that Super Saiyan 2 is X times as stronger as regular Super Saiyan, and SSj3 is Y times as powerful as SSj2. With that way of thinking of things, 2 and 3 will always put you way above regular Super Saiyan. Who cares about a little lost stamina if you can now beat the other guy in a punch or two? But Toriyama's view these days is that 2 and 3 are just fancy "variations" on Super Saiyan, and that mastering one's regular form and ordinary Super Saiyan is the real way to the top. We've now learned that apparently Goku won't even be transforming into a Super Saiyan at all in the upcoming movie, which may very well be the ultimate expression of this new "basic is best" attitude.

So, long story short, even if it seems awfully inconsistent with the main series and guidebooks, the new movies and Toriyama's recent interviews are fairly consistent in the idea that the boundary between the different Super Saiyan forms and a Saiyan's regular forms is a bit fuzzy. At first a character might train to obtain higher and higher Super Saiyan forms, but in the long run if they train enough they apparently won't need to rely on any fancy higher forms, and in the end if they train even more they might not need Super Saiyan at all. It sure seems like the same idea behind Gohan's Kaioshin power-up, but while Gohan got the quickie fast track to that advanced Super Saiyan-free state, Goku's gradually getting there through years of training (with some help from the power of Super Saiyan God). On the flipside, we might rationalize Gohan's new-found need to go Super Saiyan again as proof that lack of training has caused him to slide from his enlightened "Ultimate" state back to being a regular dope who needs to rely on transformations again.

As for Vegeta? Well, if Gohan can go beyond the need for Super Saiyan thanks to a quickie power-up, and Goku can train to the point where he can manage with just regular Super Saiyan and not bother with 2 or 3, then it's surely not totally nonsensical to think that anger could push Vegeta straight to the point of not needing Super Saiyan 3 either. Back in the Cell Games, Gohan's anger made him jump straight to Super Saiyan 2, while Goku and Vegeta only reached that point through a few years of training. On the same principle, in BoG anger makes Vegeta go straight to a point where he doesn't need the higher Super Saiyan forms, and can utilize power beyond Super Saiyan 3 while still just an ordinary Super Saiyan. It doesn't seem to be permanent, just as Gohan didn't quite master Super Saiyan 2 even after the Cell Games. Meanwhile, Goku achieves a more permanent form of the same state by absorbing the power of Super Saiyan God and training afterwards, similar to how following the Cell Games both Goku and Vegeta trained to the point where they could become Super Saiyan 2 whenever they wanted.

OK, so what about that x50/x100/x400 stuff? Well, it can still be true, but only up to a point. Strict multipliers like that can be how things work for Saiyans who are just starting out, only reaching these forms for the first time. That's typically how things were for most of the main series, with only Gohan surpassing them thanks to his Kaioshin power-up. Then with these new movies, Goku and Vegeta are finally to the point where they can go beyond traditional SSj3 power as just an ordinary Super Saiyan, or even just in their base state. So the old multipliers don't apply anymore.

Makes sense? Maybe? Well, that's what I've got.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:12 am

Herms wrote:It sure seems like the same idea behind Gohan's Kaioshin power-up, but while Gohan got the quickie fast track to that advanced Super Saiyan-free state, Goku's gradually getting there through years of training (with some help from the power of Super Saiyan God). On the flipside, we might rationalize Gohan's new-found need to go Super Saiyan again as proof that lack of training has caused him to slide from his enlightened "Ultimate" state back to being a regular dope who needs to rely on transformations again.
This part just blew my mind a li'l bit. I had yet to connect Gohan and Goku's different Super Saiyan states in that way.
Herms wrote:OK, so what about that x50/x100/x400 stuff? Well, it can still be true, but only up to a point. Strict multipliers like that can be how things work for Saiyans who are just starting out, only reaching these forms for the first time. That's typically how things were for most of the main series, with only Gohan surpassing them thanks to his Kaioshin power-up. Then with these new movies, Goku and Vegeta are finally to the point where they can go beyond traditional SSj3 power as just an ordinary Super Saiyan, or even just in their base state. So the old multipliers don't apply anymore.
This too. So it seems like achieving the higher transformations is a good way to gain that power at first, but then training to pretty much dissolve the walls between them like you said is the best way to actually use that power in the long run.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:43 am

hleV wrote:He could not, BOG is full of shit.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:49 am

I do like your way of trying to make sense of all this herms...but I'm gonna wait and see how things play out in the movie before getting my hopes up. Til then...this is my thoughts summed up from a saved quote
RandomGuy96 wrote:Vegeta: “Unfortunately, it seems he got carried away in peace and didn’t do any significant training. Our powers are higher than his now…Though I suppose there’s no telling what would happen if he snapped and went into a frenzy… though we can do the exact same thing, just like anybody, so never mind, this statement had no point. Heck, I can get like five or ten times stronger from rage at a minor offense, way more than that little punk Gohan. Actually, my rage boost totally makes his look like shit. But I'm not going to use it until like five years from now."
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:44 am

Ultra Super Saiyan was originally stronger than Super Saiyan, hence Vegeta used it against Semi-Perfect Cell. But later, Goku revealed that SSJ, given enough mastery, can surpass USSJ, which first surpassed it.

So I'm of the view that SSJ3, this whole time, was nothing more than Ultra Ascended Saiyan, the USSJ or the SSJ2 transformation. What we've been calling SSJ2 has been Basic SSJ2, I guess you'd call it. SSJ3 is actually UASJ (since I can't really call it USSJ2, as it gets confusing. Which makes what Vegeta did essentially Full Power Super Saiyan 2.

USSJ and SSJ3 are actually rather alike. Both are energy-inefficient, dramatically (at the time, but only at the time) increase the users abilities, are accompanied by the hair getting way longer, and slightly deform the body (one adds on a whole bunch of muscle mass, the other has a brow ridge).
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:53 am

Odd how the 'BOG was full of shit' response just doesn't quite hold up very well in comparison to Herms' well thought out and elaborate post...hmm...

Sarcasm aside, I really like the way that Toriyama seems to be approaching the forms now, honestly. It was an unexpected way to take things, and Toriyama to me is always at his best when he does things unexpected. And it's not like Vegeta got to keep the power, so I really don't see why there's such an issue with this.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:12 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Odd how the 'BOG was full of shit' response just doesn't quite hold up very well in comparison to Herms' well thought out and elaborate post...hmm...

Sarcasm aside, I really like the way that Toriyama seems to be approaching the forms now, honestly. It was an unexpected way to take things, and Toriyama to me is always at his best when he does things unexpected. And it's not like Vegeta got to keep the power, so I really don't see why there's such an issue with this.
Satisfaction here too. I appreciate Toriyama's effort to keep made up idea to not leave without a fair expalanation. It never has ben stated Pure-blooded Saiyan can not exprerince rage boosts. It really makes sense that it was Vegeta who got it this time. Why? Gohan was always portrayed to be a person who can not really control his emotions, but Goku was also portayed to keep calm in almost every situtation, and rahter rely on his martial art judgements, which is rally based on self-control, more than anything else. Vegeta, on the other hand, it's not just like Goku he can keep calm too long, and now has a familiy to care about. This the Vegeta who could resist to a spell of a wizard in Buu saga, we are talking about.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:17 am

Kaboom wrote:
"Rage boosts" that make the Saiyan several times stronger have happened before.
Only for Gohan who is explicitly stated to be a special case with massive amounts of potential power that he can access when he becomes emotional due to his human-saiyan nature.

I have to agree that BOB is full of shit regarding this.

As for Goku and the others starting to rely more on the base form or basic SSJ, I see no problem with it as long as its explained that they managed, with effort, to achieve the same level of power, or even better, without transforming. Meaning that transformations are a shortcut to that level of power but that its possible to achieve it without transforming, making the need to transform obsolete since it would start to only bring about disadvantages.

However, this is clearly different from a rage boost. It would be done with training and enlightenment, not because someone got mad. If it could be done simply by getting mad, Vegeta would have stumbled upon this years ago.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:49 am

I guess Toriyama-sensei wasn't as involved as I've believed.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:52 am

I'm gonna put it in the "to be explained" list. We have no idea what happened, and that was something new for Vegeta, so I'll wait for the next movie.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
I guess Toriyama-sensei wasn't as involved as I've believed.
Almost everything in BoG is because Toriyama was involved.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:01 pm

Herms wrote:I think it's just part of the new approach Toriyama is taking with these things. It may not quite jive with traditional views of how Super Saiyan transformations work, but I think it's actually got a fairly consistent internal logic.

See, fans have gotten used to the idea of the different Super Saiyan forms working like multipliers, so that if regular Goku's X, then as a Super Saiyan he'll be 50X, then 100X as Super Saiyan 2, then 400X for SSj3. That's how the guidebooks described them, and while not all fans got behind those specific numbers, it's been pretty standard to think of the forms as working basically along those lines. A given transformation will make somebody Y times stronger, and the only way for a regular Super Saiyan character to be stronger than a Super Saiyan 2/3 character is if that character's base form is way, way stronger than the other guy's. And even if someone like Vegetto is vastly stronger as an ordinary Super Saiyan than Goku or Gotenks are as Super Saiyan 3s, he'd be even more ridiculously powerful as a Super Saiyan 3 himself. The higher Super Saiyan forms may burn through stamina faster, but overall they're huge improvements on regular Super Saiyan, and there will always be big gaps between the different forms.

...That was the standard view anyway, but it seems Toriyama doesn't see things that way, at least not anymore. BoG presents pissed-off regular Super Saiyan Vegeta as flat-out stronger than Goku, making him presumably stronger than even SSj3 Goku. Then after absorbing the power of Super Saiyan God, Goku holds his own against Beerus much better than he did before as a SSj3. Becoming a regular Super Saiyan again seems to give him a boost, but not really make him that much stronger, since he still can't manage to turn the tables against Beerus. In an interview after BoG's release, Toriyama clarified that from now on Goku will just stick to mastering his regular form and ordinary Super Saiyan, and probably won't bother with Super Saiyan 2 or 3 anymore since they sap too much strength. This of course makes little sense under the traditional view that Super Saiyan 2 is X times as stronger as regular Super Saiyan, and SSj3 is Y times as powerful as SSj2. With that way of thinking of things, 2 and 3 will always put you way above regular Super Saiyan. Who cares about a little lost stamina if you can now beat the other guy in a punch or two? But Toriyama's view these days is that 2 and 3 are just fancy "variations" on Super Saiyan, and that mastering one's regular form and ordinary Super Saiyan is the real way to the top. We've now learned that apparently Goku won't even be transforming into a Super Saiyan at all in the upcoming movie, which may very well be the ultimate expression of this new "basic is best" attitude.

So, long story short, even if it seems awfully inconsistent with the main series and guidebooks, the new movies and Toriyama's recent interviews are fairly consistent in the idea that the boundary between the different Super Saiyan forms and a Saiyan's regular forms is a bit fuzzy. At first a character might train to obtain higher and higher Super Saiyan forms, but in the long run if they train enough they apparently won't need to rely on the any fancy higher forms, and in the end if they train even more they might not need Super Saiyan at all. It sure seems like the same idea behind Gohan's Kaioshin power-up, but while Gohan got the quickie fast track to that advanced Super Saiyan-free state, Goku's gradually getting there through years of training (with some help from the power of Super Saiyan God). On the flipside, we might rationalize Gohan's new-found need to go Super Saiyan again as proof that lack of training has caused him to slide from his enlightened "Ultimate" state back to being a regular dope who needs to rely on transformations again.

As for Vegeta? Well, if Gohan can go beyond the need for Super Saiyan thanks to a quickie power-up, and Goku can train to the point where he can manage with just regular Super Saiyan and not bother with 2 or 3, then it's surely not totally nonsensical to think that anger could push Vegeta straight to the point of not needing Super Saiyan 3 either. Back in the Cell Games, Gohan's anger made him jump straight to Super Saiyan 2, while Goku and Vegeta only reached that point through a few years of training. On the same principle, in BoG anger makes Vegeta go straight to a point where he doesn't need the higher Super Saiyan forms, and can utilize power beyond Super Saiyan 3 while still just an ordinary Super Saiyan. It doesn't seem to be permanent, just as Gohan didn't quite master Super Saiyan 2 even after the Cell Games. Meanwhile, Goku achieves a more permanent form of the same state by absorbing the power of Super Saiyan God and training afterwards, similar to how following the Cell Games both Goku and Vegeta trained to the point where they could become Super Saiyan 2 whenever they wanted.

OK, so what about that x50/x100/x400 stuff? Well, it can still be true, but only up to a point. Strict multipliers like that can be how things work for Saiyans who are just starting out, only reaching these forms for the first time. That's typically how things were for most of the main series, with only Gohan surpassing them thanks to his Kaioshin power-up. Then with these new movies, Goku and Vegeta are finally to the point where they can go beyond traditional SSj3 power as just an ordinary Super Saiyan, or even just in their base state. So the old multipliers don't apply anymore.

Makes sense? Maybe? Well, that's what I've got.
Wow! I never thought of it that way. So Elder Kai's advice was true... transformations aren't the right way.

However... another thing that makes me go "Whhhhaaattt?" though is... VEGETA WAS JUST A SSJ, NOT SSJ2, when he surpassed Goku?? WHOA! :shock:

Also, based on Goku's statements... post-angered Vegeta has surpassed pre-SSJG Goku right? Meaning, had Goku not been activated into SSJG, he would now be weaker than Vegeta? Note that Goku makes that statement during the end of the film.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:40 pm

As someone who gives no fucks about power levels or in-universe things like that, I have to say a huge thank you to Herms for writing the first thing I've found genuinely interesting in this area.

Sorry, I know this is an utterly worthless contribution to the discussion but I found it fascinating and a good read. Interesting to see how Toriyama's thought process has potentially changed over the years. It certainly freshens things up a lot.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:39 pm

rereboy wrote:However, this is clearly different from a rage boost. It would be done with training and enlightenment, not because someone got mad. If it could be done simply by getting mad, Vegeta would have stumbled upon this years ago.
Well, we see Vegeta training at the start of the movie, so I think we can assume that he has been training steadily for the last five years. We have nothing to indicate that he was frustratedly beating his head against an insurmountable wall, so presumably he was making some form of progress in his training.

So it's plausible that he was already working on this new level of power (whether Full Power SSJ2 or whatever you want to call it) the whole time, and he simply intuited the last 20% of the method in response to Bulma being slapped.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:17 pm

Tectorman wrote:
rereboy wrote:However, this is clearly different from a rage boost. It would be done with training and enlightenment, not because someone got mad. If it could be done simply by getting mad, Vegeta would have stumbled upon this years ago.
Well, we see Vegeta training at the start of the movie, so I think we can assume that he has been training steadily for the last five years. We have nothing to indicate that he was frustratedly beating his head against an insurmountable wall, so presumably he was making some form of progress in his training.

So it's plausible that he was already working on this new level of power (whether Full Power SSJ2 or whatever you want to call it) the whole time, and he simply intuited the last 20% of the method in response to Bulma being slapped.
That's a rage boost. Something he never had. Its different from being able to use his power in his basic forms.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Well, we don't even know where Vegeta's strength falls in BoG. Because when the Boo arc ended both Vegeta and Goku were equals in strength. The only reason Vegeta was behind Goku before the hidden potential unlock was because Vegeta was already massively behind Goku in the Cell Games. Even if they both trained and gained the same amount of strength towards the Boo arc then Vegeta is going to be behind Goku. Now that they are back at equal footing it all comes down to whether Vegeta pushed himself harder than Goku did in these 5 years. And if Vegeta is superior to Goku in strength, without including SSJ3 of course, then SSJ2 Vegeta would need a 4x boost to surpass SSJ3 Goku's power. Frankly I think that rage boost is kind of small in comparison to some of Gohan's rage boosts which have allowed him to hurt and put down Freeza who, if you believe Gohan was at 14,000 like the Daizenshuu 7 says, was almost 100x stronger than him.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:03 pm

If the end of the Buu arc and Battle of Gods' characterization of Vegeta are any indication, he seems to have mellowed out and gained some better perspective on life. Maybe that helped his training out? Maybe this actually allowed him to finally do what Gohan was previously only able to do?

I'm sorry, but saying "nah, Battle of Gods is just full of shit because it doesn't bend over backwards to jive with the Frankenstein's Monster that is the story's 1995 status quo, cherry picked EU information, and my head-canon!" just comes off as lazy, stubborn, and unwilling to accept the story moving forward.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:20 pm

Hitiro wrote:Well, we don't even know where Vegeta's strength falls in BoG. Because when the Boo arc ended both Vegeta and Goku were equals in strength. The only reason Vegeta was behind Goku before the hidden potential unlock was because Vegeta was already massively behind Goku in the Cell Games. Even if they both trained and gained the same amount of strength towards the Boo arc then Vegeta is going to be behind Goku. Now that they are back at equal footing it all comes down to whether Vegeta pushed himself harder than Goku did in these 5 years. And if Vegeta is superior to Goku in strength, without including SSJ3 of course, then SSJ2 Vegeta would need a 4x boost to surpass SSJ3 Goku's power. Frankly I think that rage boost is kind of small in comparison to some of Gohan's rage boosts which have allowed him to hurt and put down Freeza who, if you believe Gohan was at 14,000 like the Daizenshuu 7 says, was almost 100x stronger than him.
The problem is him having rage boosts at all. NOBODY had rage boosts in Dragon Ball besides Gohan and Fat Buu and both were explained (gohan tapping into his potential, Fat Buu letting his true self emerge). And Vegeta has been angry more times than any other character. Him suddenly having one doesn't make sense. Him being more powerful than he should be in his SSJ can be explained with that whole mastering the basic forms things, but not the rage boost.