Which Budoukai did Kame-Sennin win?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Which Budoukai did Kame-Sennin win?

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:28 pm

Was Kame-Senin (as himself,not Jackie Choun) the winner of the first Tenkaichi Budoukai? If not, is ever mentioned which one he did win?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:31 pm

I don't believe it is ever mentioned, if I recall correctly. By the way, I noticed you live in Quebec. Have you seen the French version of DBZ?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:50 pm

**Shudders and curls into a fetal position** Although unedited in terms of violence+blood, WHAT THE BEEJOBIES WAS WITH THAT WHOLE "PETIT COEUR" AND "SATAN" crap?! (Note: I think both reffered to Piccolo. At least the last one did)

I saw the Saiyan Saga in french. The channel had it on endless loop for a year at least before dropping the whole show (Much like YTV in '95!). I also have the VHS of the Radditz saga and Lord Slug movie (they were $4.95 each at a walmart. Ha!)

Thank GOD the french manga is unedited (although originally released flipped in left-to-right style). The publisher of the manga (Glénat) is now doing "double volume" re-releases (litterally two volumes in 1 tankoubon) and a translated un-flipped version of the Kanzenban (although only up to volume 6 has been released so far). It's from them that I got volumes 1-42 over the years as well as Daizenshuu 7 and the picture-crazy daizenshuu (3?). It doesn't look like they have any plans for releasing the other Daizenshuu so far though, since they deal mostly with the anime and not the manga like 7 did (not that 7 was manga only).
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:16 pm

WHAT THE BEEJOBIES WAS WITH THAT WHOLE "PETIT COEUR" AND "SATAN CRAP"
I know, that one really confused me! When I was watching it, I thought okaaay, how are they going to handle things when "Mr. Satan" comes in?! I guess they figured since Piccolo is considered a demon that heck, the translation of "Satan" was close enough! And what were they thinking with some of the voices?! Especially Piccolo's and also Kaio-sama's! I hated Kaio-sama's voice, it's as bad as the English one! But it is nice to hear the original music and all that bawdy humour on broadcast t.v., especially that great "Russian roulette" scene at Princess Snake's! That scene and Goku's reaction to it I think is one of the funniest scenes in the anime! :lol:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:31 pm

Have you ever seen the french version of the Bardock death scene? I saw it on a website once that compared anime dubs from around the world.

"C'est le monsieur Freezer!"

"HOUWAIN ["oui"] SEIN ["c'est"] VREEHHH["vrai"] ! SEIN ["c'est"] LUH ["le"] MEHNSEUN ["monsieur"] FuuurEEEEEEEEzeRRRRR!!!! ["Freezer"]"
Now if that guy didn't make you piss your pants laughing already, make the guy's voice even more nasaly than the guy they casted for Piccolo's voice.
**Shudder**

For our american buddies: Piccolo sounded like a drunken pissed off penguin in the french dub.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:28 pm

No I haven't seen the Bardock Special in French. Do you remember the website you saw that clip on? I'd love to hear it myself!
For our American buddies:Piccolo sounded like a drunken pissed off penguin in the French dub.
Ha ha ha :lol: ! That's one the most hilarious descriptions of a dub voice I've ever read! And it's dead-on accurate to boot! I guess you could describe Kaio-sama's voice as sounding like a gay chipmunk on marajuana, while you're at it! Also I don't know if you heard the way the French actor doing Goku sounds like when he does his Kamehameha. I swear when he said the phrase, he must have been involved in reading a book at the same time. Also, the way the French version left in the Japanese screams was really messed up sounding. You go from the French voice of Goku, which sounds like a normal young man's to Nozawa's "wildcat" screams! It's insane sounding! Plus here and there, you can still catch Japanese dialogue that was accidently left in! You get to hear Raditz saying "shine" and Vegita's curses at Goku during their first battle. It's just crazy!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:45 pm

Sorry it was a long time ago. For all I know it's down now. I had forgotten the Kamehameha! I think I'm going to go watch the Radditz tape. I bought it because the box was USSJ Vegeta with his fist IN Cell's near-perfect form. I get home and the back has 3 pics: Paikuhan, Goten and Kami+Goku in front of Enma. Uh-oh. I pop in the tape and it's Radditz. Stupid French and their inability to package products!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:01 pm

You know, I forgot to mention the dorky theme song in the French version while I was at it. Now that's real insanity!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:05 pm

"Son père était un héro! Le grand, le vaillant, Son Goku!"

Like some 15 year old boy whose balls never dropped playing with a xylophone.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:11 pm

Thanks! Now you put the dang ditty in my head! And don't forget that the clips they show during the song are all from the Namek saga when it's just at the Saiyajin saga. You're too far ahead dips! :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:41 pm

Dayspring wrote:Sorry it was a long time ago. For all I know it's down now. I had forgotten the Kamehameha! I think I'm going to go watch the Radditz tape. I bought it because the box was USSJ Vegeta with his fist IN Cell's near-perfect form. I get home and the back has 3 pics: Paikuhan, Goten and Kami+Goku in front of Enma. Uh-oh. I pop in the tape and it's Radditz. Stupid French and their inability to package products!
I bought that exact same tape on eBay, thinking it was the Cell saga! Hahaha, that's so funny that we both did that ^^;;.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:46 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Thanks! Now you put the dang ditty in my head! And don't forget that the clips they show during the song are all from the Namek saga when it's just at the Saiyajin saga. You're too far ahead dips! :lol:
Well, the US and UK got to see Super Saiyan Trunks slice up Mecha-Freeza about 5 billion years before that ever happened in an episode, so what you got is pretty mild by comparison.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:47 pm

Actually, I know the tape you're talking about. I think I saw that auction on e-bay. From memory, the cover is pretty misleading.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:59 pm

The Lord Slug movie wasn't all bad. I bought it because I had no means of getting movie 4 other than fansubs. Still don't have the dvd. Waiting to find how much the movies 4+5+6 box set is at specific place before buying on-line. Then I'll have movies 1-8 and the Bardock special on DVD. Wheeee!

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:30 pm

All Lord Slug movies are bad. No matter the language, they are bad. Yes.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:43 pm

Totally disagree Liam! Because of my maternal adoration of Gohan, I'm afraid I like the Lord Slug movie. Lots of touching Gohan moments! The worst movie by far is movie 11! Toei:"Yes we got a great idea! Let's make a DBZ movie without Goku in it! Better yet, let's not even put Gohan in it! Let's just have Goten and Trunks in all their bratty glory! And better yet, we aren't done milking the subject of Burori as the villian! Let's think up some lame way we could somehow bring him back!" I'm also not that crazy about movie 10 either, for similar reasons, but it at least it has Gohan and more of Goku in it! People are probably going to shoot me for this next statement too, but I also think movie 13 is overrated. Okay everybody, start shooting!

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:26 pm

:evil:

*loads shotgun*

Movie 13 is not over rated...although I'm really looking forward to the Bojack movie. Broli was ok, but by the time it finally came out it wasn't very exciting anymore.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:41 pm

I dunno why I like the forth movie. I mean, the actual revelation of the bad guy being a Namek I thought was quite nice (and certainly a change from it being a Saiyan or a relative of an existing villian).

I think it's just the formula. Bad guys beat up Goku's friends. Goku turns up. Beats bad guys. Fights Main Bad Guy. Loses. Pulls a Special Technique out of his arse that would have saved everyone a lot of trouble if he'd used it earlier/Suddenly transforms into a form more powerful than the bad guy and would have saved everyone a lot of trouble if he'd just done it at the beginning of the movie. Beats Bad Guy. HUMOROUS CLOSING MOMENTS!!!

I think mainly though, it's due to that "Super Saiyan" transformation. Seriously...what the fuck?

And, actually, it might have something to do with the fact that the bad guy's ULTIMATE WEAKNESS was...whistling. Seriously, what the fuck x2?

Plus, poor Gohan is stuck with that pudding bowl haircut again. Bad Chi Chi.

Not as bad as the treatment he gets in movie 5. Him and Kuririn stuck as comic relief. Although everyone is pretty weird in that movie. "I am Trunks! I have come from the future to warn you about an evil pair of androids that will destroy the world. That is why I am going shopping!"
Last edited by PsyLiam on Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:42 pm

I guess I should have been more diplomactic about my statement concerning movie 13. I do like movie 13, I do think it's a good movie, I think it's a good story, I just don't like the fact that the last DBZ movie ever made centered around Trunks. Yes, Goku was great at the end in his SSJ3 form and doing his Exploding Dragon Fist technique, but I found that Toei almost added him in at the end as an afterthought. Like they were going along with their Trunks/Tapion plot, they had about 10 minutes left, and then remembered, "Shoot we forgot! This series is actually about Goku! We haven't had him fight or anything! Better do that now!" I know that Trunks was the second most popular character in DBZ, but Goku was #1! And no Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Yamucha, barely any Kuririn, and even Vegita was left out until the end too! What were they thinking at Toei?! Ya just don't do that with DBZ! I wouldn't have cared if it wasn't the final movie. I just feel it was an improper and lousy way to end the series of DBZ movies. There, that's my reason. Take it and do what you like with it, including shooting me. :wink:
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:45 pm

Aside from the giggling girl fanbase, surely Vegeta is the second most popular character from DBZ?