Akira wanted Broly to end dbz?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Akira wanted Broly to end dbz?

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:29 pm

I have seen a few times this has been mentioned and his producers wouldn't allow this stating
"you can't introduce a new villain during the cell games."
And so good guy akira made the broly movie

This was stated on the wikipedias but then was removed by fans and begged the admin not to place it back who else heard about this.
Dragon Ball Multiverse (Not the comics)<Where to find me!
"GROWING STRONGER! YES...STRONGER!-Broly

ImmaDeker
Banned

Re: Akira wanted Broly to end dbz?

Post by ImmaDeker » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:30 pm

This is correct.

Lumos

Post by Lumos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:33 pm

BrolyLSSJ wrote:I have seen a few times this has been mentioned and his producers wouldn't allow this stating

This was stated on the wikipedias but then was removed by fans and begged the admin not to place it back who else heard about this.
I think this is my new favourite rumour.

But yeah, I'm not entirely sure there's any substance behind it since Broly is a movie only character and Toriyama had little to no involvement in those, if I'm correct.
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things or make them unimportant.
Homer Simpson wrote:'STEALING! How could you? Why do you think I took you to see all those Police Academy movies, FOR FUN? I DIDN'T HEAR ANYONE LAUGHING, DID YOU?'

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:45 pm

ImmaDeker wrote:This is correct.
Thank you!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Lumos wrote:
BrolyLSSJ wrote:I have seen a few times this has been mentioned and his producers wouldn't allow this stating

I think this is my new favourite rumour.

But yeah, I'm not entirely sure there's any substance behind it since Broly is a movie only character and Toriyama had little to no involvement in those, if I'm correct.
Actually Toriyama was more involved in DBZ movie than most people know. Toei always sent him the draft of the script of every DBZ movie before they would get animated and released just so that if there were any improvements or changes to the script that needed to be made, who better to do it than Toriyama himself

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:50 pm

That's completely false, not to mention that Toriyama didn't make any of the Broly movies.

Lumos

Post by Lumos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:52 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Actually Toriyama was more involved in DBZ movie than most people know. Toei always sent him the draft of the script of every DBZ movie before they would get animated and released just so that if there were any improvements or changes to the script that needed to be made, who better to do it than Toriyama himself
Interesting though come to think I'm sure I've heard that mentioned on this very forum/site.

Either way, glad some actual facts could come out of this thread!

ETA: This isn't a blatant troll post too, right? :wink:
Last edited by Lumos on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things or make them unimportant.
Homer Simpson wrote:'STEALING! How could you? Why do you think I took you to see all those Police Academy movies, FOR FUN? I DIDN'T HEAR ANYONE LAUGHING, DID YOU?'

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Broly to end DBZ? I didn't know Broly is a mangaka.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:09 pm

Lumos wrote:Either way, glad some actual facts could come out of this thread
The only fact is that he gave some designs for the character, nothing more.

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:13 pm

Lumos wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Actually Toriyama was more involved in DBZ movie than most people know. Toei always sent him the draft of the script of every DBZ movie before they would get animated and released just so that if there were any improvements or changes to the script that needed to be made, who better to do it than Toriyama himself
Interesting though come to think I'm sure I've heard that mentioned on this very forum/site.

Either way, glad some actual facts could come out of this thread!

ETA: This isn't a blatant troll post too, right? :wink:
No this isn't a troll post.

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
That's completely false, not to mention that Toriyama didn't make any of the Broly movies.
Many people will tell you I am not giving anything false as akira personally designed
Broly and Janemba.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:28 pm

BrolyLSSJ wrote:Many people will tell you I am not giving anything false as akira personally designed
Broly and Janemba.
So...? The fact that he gave some designs for those characters doesn't make your original statement true. Toriyama still didn't make those movies nor did he came up with its characters and storyline. That's a fact.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Toriyama only designed Broli, he didn't create the character, nor his story, nor did he ever plan to make him appear in the manga.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Toriyama personally designed Broly but couldn't use the design for his intended, original final arc, which was about the TRUE legendary Super Saiyan finally surfacing after the Saiyans all achieved the form. Editorial prevented the storyline from going through (which is why we EVENTUALLY got Majin Buu, a storyline that ended up turning the very Super Saiyan concept Toriyama was prevented from exploring into a giant parody of itself as retaliation), so the design and basic outline of the arc was given to Toei and they turned it into a film.

Lumos

Post by Lumos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:35 pm

BrolyLSSJ wrote:No this isn't a troll post.
Well maybe I jumped the gun on that one (sorry, if true!) but as other users have said Broly was never intended to appear in the manga. I mean surely if Toriyama wanted to include him that badly he would have skipped over Boo and made him the final antagonist of the series instead?

ETA: I see ImmaDeker has that explanation covered. :D
Last edited by Lumos on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:35 pm

ImmaDeker wrote:Toriyama personally designed Broly but couldn't use the design for his intended, original final arc, which was about the TRUE legendary Super Saiyan finally surfacing after the Saiyans all achieved the form. Editorial prevented the storyline from going through (which is why we EVENTUALLY got Majin Buu, a storyline that ended up turning the very Super Saiyan concept Toriyama was prevented from exploring into a giant parody of itself as retaliation), so the design and basic outline of the arc was given to Toei and they turned it into a film.
This is now canon.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:47 pm

This topic is hilarious.

No, AT never even implied that Broly was his idea or inferred that said character was to somehow "end dbz." The fanbase's attachment to this character always puzzles me; he's a muscle bound rage driven moron who can utter all of 10 words. What's to like?
Last edited by radrappy on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:57 pm

Trolly Trolly Trolly Trolly Troooollllllll!!!! That's my input. Peace.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:32 am

ImmaDeker wrote:Toriyama personally designed Broly but couldn't use the design for his intended, original final arc, which was about the TRUE legendary Super Saiyan finally surfacing after the Saiyans all achieved the form. Editorial prevented the storyline from going through (which is why we EVENTUALLY got Majin Buu, a storyline that ended up turning the very Super Saiyan concept Toriyama was prevented from exploring into a giant parody of itself as retaliation), so the design and basic outline of the arc was given to Toei and they turned it into a film.
Those evil editorials.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:59 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Trolly Trolly Trolly Trolly Troooollllllll!!!! That's my input. Peace.
Your input, along with that of several others, is not welcome.

There's a way to have fun while still maintaining the spirit of the community. These posts do not live up to those expectations.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::