Prince (but not King) Vegeta

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Prince (but not King) Vegeta

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Does anyone else find it interesting that even though Vegeta's father died decades before we first meet Vegeta, he still considers himself the Prince of all Saiyans. Why do you think he thinks of himself as a prince and not a king? Do you think it's out of respect for his father? Something else?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Prince (but not King) Vegeta

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:18 pm

ABED wrote:Does anyone else find it interesting that even though Vegeta's father died decades before we first meet Vegeta, he still considers himself the Prince of all Saiyans. Why do you think he thinks of himself as a prince and not a king? Do you think it's out of respect for his father? Something else?
He was never coronated. Maybe a ceremony is required before a Saiyan can officially be declared king?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:32 pm

Keep in mind that his kingdom (Planet Vegeta) has been destroyed. That means his title of prince would continue to exist, but he'd never succeed the throne since the throne no longer exists.

Though truthfully, I think it's just Toriyama not thinking things through. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:39 pm

You don't become king when the previous king dies, you become king when you are coronated. For example, in real life, Louis XX, the descendant of the last king of France, is known as a prince (as well as a duke) but obviously not a king.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:53 pm

Kinda off-topic, but when Vegeta died twice in his life, Tarble got the "Prince of all Saiyans" title.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Dyno wrote:Kinda off-topic, but when Vegeta died twice in his life, Tarble got the "Prince of all Saiyans" title.
Tarble was exiled/disowned. He got nothing.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:00 pm

I get the whole coronation thing, but since there's no civilization left and he makes the rules, you'd think he wouldn't care about the formalities, but maybe he does for this one custom.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:10 pm

I can't stand the "Prince of all Saiyans" title from the dub... :x It's "Saiyan Prince" for god's sake!
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:17 pm

Marco Polo wrote:You don't become king when the previous king dies, you become king when you are coronated. For example, in real life, Louis XX, the descendant of the last king of France, is known as a prince (as well as a duke) but obviously not a king.
They're still around? Thought they all got guillotined.

On topic, closest thing I can think of is how some girls' media things have rulers be princesses instead of queens. Though that's more of some things of how little girls like princesses but not queens for some reason.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:06 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I can't stand the "Prince of all Saiyans" title from the dub... :x It's "Saiyan Prince" for god's sake!
It's all relative. He is Saiyan Prince, and at the same time, Prince of all Saiyans, because, well, he technically is. :P

Just like how King Vegeta is Saiyan King and King/Ruler of all Saiyan. They don't hand out titles like "Saiyan King" and "Saiyan Prince" to every shmuck.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:09 pm

My guess is similar to Kamiccolo's. There's probably a process that goes into being "King". I know Vegeta could care less about his father so it's definitely not out of respect.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

IDreamtIWasABee
Beyond Newbie

Post by IDreamtIWasABee » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:31 pm

A prince is the most exalted person in the land. A king holds title to that land.

The king of Prussia was only king of lands outside the realm of the Holy Roman Empire, for example, but he was a prince in all of his domains.

I imagine Japanese feudalism had similar distinctions.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:34 pm

IDreamtIWasABee wrote:A prince is the most exalted person in the land. A king holds title to that land.

The king of Prussia was only king of lands outside the realm of the Holy Roman Empire, for example, but he was a prince in all of them.

I imagine Japanese feudalism had similar distinctions.
Japanese feudalism had the Emperor as a divinely ordained figurehead, while the shogun had all the real power.

Individual local rulers, Daimyo, were vassals of the shogun, and roughly analogous, I suppose, to Dukes or Princes.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:35 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I can't stand the "Prince of all Saiyans" title from the dub... :x It's "Saiyan Prince" for god's sake!
Does it really make that much of a difference? I for one find Prince of all Saiyans to be more epic than the straightforward Saiyan Prince.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Chronic_mcduffin

Post by Chronic_mcduffin » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:37 pm

I don't like Sabat's portrayal at all, really. So, when I hear him say this, I don't like it. But it's never been the words themselves that I didn't like.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:52 pm

Maybe out of respect for his father.

It would be epic if he declares himself king after killing Freeza.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:56 pm

Chronic_mcduffin wrote:
I don't like Sabat's portrayal at all, really. So, when I hear him say this, I don't like it. But it's never been the words themselves that I didn't like.
Sabat da bes
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:57 pm

sintzu wrote:Maybe out of respect for his father.

It would be epic if he declares himself king after killing Freeza.
That would be totally out of character for Vegeta.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:59 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: That would be totally out of character for Vegeta.
How ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:01 am

sintzu wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote: That would be totally out of character for Vegeta.
How ?
Vegeta doesn't respect his father, and has accepted that his former Saiyan heritage is no longer the driving force behind his life. That was how Goku convinced him to fuse.
Malik_DBNA wrote: