Inconsistent Super Saiyan 3

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Terra Prime

Inconsistent Super Saiyan 3

Post by Terra Prime » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:06 am

Remember when Goku took a moment to transform into Super Saiyan 3 for the first time? and then later he directly transforms in an instant against Buutenks? He couldn't have mastered the form in such a short time to transform that casually, if he himself stated that he wasn't used to it. What's up with that?
Nothing to see here. Read the post below!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Inconsistent Super Saiyan 3

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:13 am

I can't remember whether that SSJ3 transformation against Buutenks is not in the manga or if it's just the subsequent battle that's not. If the former, that's why. If the latter, it took long the first time because it was his first time transforming in the world of the living. After one transformation, he re-adapted.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Terra Prime

Post by Terra Prime » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:31 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:I can't remember whether that SSJ3 transformation against Buutenks is not in the manga or if it's just the subsequent battle that's not. If the former, that's why. If the latter, it took long the first time because it was his first time transforming in the world of the living. After one transformation, he re-adapted.
I'm 100% sure he does transform in the manga. However, I don't have a scan in hand...

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:42 am

He was buying time.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:42 am

Terra Prime wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:I can't remember whether that SSJ3 transformation against Buutenks is not in the manga or if it's just the subsequent battle that's not. If the former, that's why. If the latter, it took long the first time because it was his first time transforming in the world of the living. After one transformation, he re-adapted.
I'm 100% sure he does transform in the manga. However, I don't have a scan in hand...
He does.

I always justified it like this: He knows how to do it, but he's never actually transformed before. After doing it the first time, being the genius he is, he can now do it almost instantly.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:44 am

singsing wrote:He was buying time.
This. The whole pointed during the Fat Buu fight was to drag it out as long as possible to give Trunks more time. That's why he did his whole show and tell routine with Buu in the first place.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:45 am

Terra Prime wrote:I'm 100% sure he does transform in the manga. However, I don't have a scan in hand...
That's the same page Goku transforms, so it would appear to be an instant transformation this time around. Perhaps, like when Goku used the Kaio-ken in front of Ginyu, he purposefully prolonged his transformation into Super Saiyan 3 to buy Trunks more time to reach West City. It could also be that Goku tried to transform as fast as possible when Evil Boo charged him given that this incarnation is much stronger Fat Boo.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:50 am

We can't judge the passage of time in a story based on how we perceive it on-screen. Obviously an action has to be visible to an audience, if time passage in Dragon Ball were 100% accurate, than we wouldn't have had any more fight scenes after Krillin fought Jackie Chun, because that was the point where the characters became faster than the eye could see.

Goku's Super Saiyan 3 transformation in the anime was just an epic moment, realistically we can assume it didn't take 9 minutes. The manga gives us a better idea of time passage, where the transformation only took a couple pages.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Terra Prime

Post by Terra Prime » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:05 am

ZazamPow wrote:We can't judge the passage of time in a story based on how we perceive it on-screen. Obviously an action has to be visible to an audience, if time passage in Dragon Ball were 100% accurate, than we wouldn't have had any more fight scenes after Krillin fought Jackie Chun, because that was the point where the characters became faster than the eye could see.

Goku's Super Saiyan 3 transformation in the anime was just an epic moment, realistically we can assume it didn't take 9 minutes. The manga gives us a better idea of time passage, where the transformation only took a couple pages.
It counts too. I meant to count only the manga to begin with. When Goku went Super Saiyan 3 for the first time, it took him two pages, while against Buutenks it took him a single panel.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:44 am

Terra Prime wrote:
ZazamPow wrote:We can't judge the passage of time in a story based on how we perceive it on-screen. Obviously an action has to be visible to an audience, if time passage in Dragon Ball were 100% accurate, than we wouldn't have had any more fight scenes after Krillin fought Jackie Chun, because that was the point where the characters became faster than the eye could see.

It counts too. I meant to count only the manga to begin with. When Goku went Super Saiyan 3 for the first time, it took him two pages, while against Buutenks it took him a single panel.
Well, you also need to take into account that it was the first time that the form was being debuted, so Toriyama likely drew out the transformation to make it all the more exciting and stuff. It's like how Gohan, when he first transformed into a Super Saiya-jin 2, took 3-4 pages to transform, whereas the very next time we see him transform, it was within one panel.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:19 am

Tyro wrote:
Terra Prime wrote:I'm 100% sure he does transform in the manga. However, I don't have a scan in hand...
Where did you get that scan from???

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:21 am

Tyro wrote:
The art looks really weird. Is that the official page? If so, I know what people mean when they said the artwork took a nose dive during Buu.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:06 pm

ZazamPow wrote:
Tyro wrote:
Terra Prime wrote:
The art looks really weird. Is that the official page? If so, I know what people mean when they said the artwork took a nose dive during Buu.
That is an official full color page of the manga. The art in the Majin Boo was quite mediocre. But it was this stage that Toriyama got sick of fighting manga's and was going through burn out with Dragon Ball, and you can really tell form dip in quality of art in the manga at this stage.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:28 pm

AvatarReiko wrote:Where did you get that scan from???
It's from the Full Color manga. Only Japan got the entirety of the manga in full color, both physically and digitally no less. VIZ only released the Saiyan arc in English. I made a few comparisons (1, 2, 3), and you should check out the Full Color preview thread.
Lord Beerus wrote:But it was this stage that Toriyama got sick of fighting manga's and was going through burn out with Dragon Ball, and you can really tell form dip in quality of art in the manga at this stage.
Sounds like another one of those "Toriyama wanted to end the series at X" rumors to me.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:33 pm

Tyro wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:But it was this stage that Toriyama got sick of fighting manga's and was going through burn out with Dragon Ball, and you can really tell form dip in quality of art in the manga at this stage.
Sounds like another one of those "Toriyama wanted to end the series at X" rumors to me.
No, he legitimately got sick and tired of fighting manga during the Majin Boo arc.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:24 pm

That's interesting. Did Kanzenshuu cover this as well?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:52 pm

Tyro wrote:
I don't think they did. Although, I could be proven wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:10 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Tyro wrote:
I don't think they did. Although, I could be proven wrong.
They did. They almost always do. :P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)