MangaUK Dragon Ball Z Dragon Boxes?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OJPArtist

MangaUK Dragon Ball Z Dragon Boxes?

Post by OJPArtist » Tue May 05, 2015 3:48 pm

So MangaUK have recently announced that DragonBall Z Kai will be released on DVD/Blu Ray starting August which I am looking forward to! :D

Now people including myself think that the movies will most likely be released next and if that be the case what will be next for DragonBall? Obviously the latest movie and whenever DragonBall Super is dubbed but what about the DragonBall Z Dragon Boxes? :eh:

I know funimation had trouble getting the masters from Toi to be able to reproduce the Dragon Box in American since it was originally a Japanese only release so maybe manga UK will have the same problem even though they pretty much tend to import Funimation releases.

I own Seasons 1-5 and even though they have their problems they are the only way I can watch DragonBall Z and if the DBOXES are released here I would buy them in an instant since I prefer to have the original picture without it being zoomed in and copped plus I tend to watch DBZ with the Japanese music so the American score is no loss to me.

I feel that if it ever happens our release packaging wise will probably be a little different. I even did a video talking about that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9BOy52miKM

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: MangaUK Dragon Ball Z Dragon Boxes?

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 05, 2015 4:14 pm

I wouldn't hold your breath on MangaUK releasing the Dragon Boxes. All of the Dragon Ball Boxes are out of print and it cost a lost of money out of Funimation's own pocket to produce their own version of the Dragon Boxes. And even then, Funimation's' Dragon Boxes didn't come with all the extra that the Japanese version did. And i hate to sound like an asshole but MangaUK aren't as big as Funimation. And I don't really think they could afford to re-release the Dragon Boxes just for the UK. I mean, the anime fanbase in the UK is not that large to justify the release of what would be at least £300+ box set of an anime that I'm sure most fans in UK have already seen and/or already bought the Orange Bricks for.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue May 05, 2015 4:27 pm

I agree with the above post, plus they'd be pal which there may be ghosting going on, if you really want the dragonboxes I'd probably just get the JP boxes and if you have the orange bricks or even the new blu-rays I'd just rip the subtitles and then burn onto blu-rays keeping the original discs in tact. May also want to just create vanilla backups as well.

End of the day the US boxes are about the same price as the JP boxes, I'd get the JP boxes as the extras and it's cheap to get subtitles from official releases (IE orange bricks/Blu-rays).

DB is good enough but wished they didn't zoom in, GT that's up to you since the GT Dboxes can be had for cheap.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Tue May 05, 2015 4:28 pm

Can't see it.

Manga UK wouldn't put the effort into a release like that. If they ever did it would be a severely watered down version of the Dragon Boxes. Probably in plastic cases and with no additional content like the books. Also, would the demand really be there after releasing the season sets and Kai?

I think next up for them will be the new movie. After that, possibily the rest of the films.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 05, 2015 9:28 pm

You don't seem to know that Manga UK isn't the type to release high quality / Limited Edition releases, well there's that they did produce the Blu-ray Steelbooks of Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Bayonetta, Ninja Scroll and Street Fighter but other than that it's mostly just normal releases in plastic cases which they slapped their logo from a Madman encode.

Manga UK's so cheap that they never bothered to include a slipcover for the Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z or Dragon Ball GT bricks, it was all just in fat-packs and without booklets. Not much of an incentive to be an early owner. :| To be fair, they did include a slipcover for the "Collector's Edition" of Battle of Gods but scrapped it away not too long after.

To hell with Manga UK, I'm sticking with FUNimation.

By the way, bought Dragon Ball Z: Part 1 (first and last as I won't buy the other ones) for 76p for the novelty of it. It's basically a more budgety version of the Orange Bricks in singles from what I've read (it's not arrived yet so can't say for sure but it should be).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

OJPArtist

Post by OJPArtist » Wed May 06, 2015 10:51 am

Well i'm not sure if you guys watched the youtube clip I linked in the post but I did state that if we ever do get the DBOXES then they will most likely be in plastic cases rather than a box and steel books. I think all of you are right I don't think MANGAUK could afford to release the Dragon Boxes plus I don't even know if they would sell well since most people have bought the orange bricks since we started getting them in 2012.
I suppose UK DragonBoxes are nothing but a pipe dream for now :(

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed May 06, 2015 2:20 pm

How much would it cost them to just get the footage from the american version and release them in a standard box set without so many bells and whistles? If I was ever going to invest in the home releases of DBZ it would only be if they released something with as good quality as the dragon boxes.

OJPArtist

Post by OJPArtist » Wed May 06, 2015 2:38 pm

Deathbringer wrote:How much would it cost them to just get the footage from the american version and release them in a standard box set without so many bells and whistles? If I was ever going to invest in the home releases of DBZ it would only be if they released something with as good quality as the dragon boxes.
I suppose MangaUK could do that. Heck if we ended up getting single disc releases with DBOX footage i'd probably pick that up although it'd be bloody expensive! :wtf: :crazy: :think:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 06, 2015 2:43 pm

Manga UK was supposedly going to release a special edition boxset of the Orange Bricks but that never happened and instead they announced the GT bricks, which was kind of disappointing as I'd like to see an all-in-one Dragon Ball Z set. More disappointingly the Collector's Edition of Battle of Gods isn't for sale anywhere and due to the lack of Japanese 5.1 it wasn't worth £21, anyway.

Your best bet is to import the Japanese Z Singles or wait for a new FUNimation Z release.
I suppose MangaUK could do that. Heck if we ended up getting single disc releases with DBOX footage i'd probably pick that up although it'd be bloody expensive!
Talk about expensive, the UK anime publisher All the Anime has been releasing proper Collector's Edition Blu-ray sets of Cowboy Bebop, Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann for example which have all very impressive packaging and the video quality is right up there too so rather than Manga UK I'd prefer All the Anime to take care of the Dragon Boxes Z but Manga UK has the rights to it in UK so not gonna happen.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

OJPArtist

Post by OJPArtist » Wed May 06, 2015 3:05 pm

[quote="dbboxkaifan"]Manga UK was supposedly going to release a special edition boxset of the Orange Bricks but that never happened and instead they announced the GT bricks, which was kind of disappointing as I'd like to see an all-in-one Dragon Ball Z set. More disappointingly the Collector's Edition of Battle of Gods isn't for sale anywhere and due to the lack of Japanese 5.1 it wasn't worth £21, anyway.

This is the first I have heard of a special edition boxset for the orange bricks :wtf: I wonder what I would have actually been?
An all in 1 DBZ boxset would be VERY expensive! I've seen the Japanese singles on amazon and I might give those a look sometime. I'm still trying to finish off the orange bricks then collect the DragonBall boxsets battle of gods and then GT

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 06, 2015 3:24 pm

From what I recall, I read it somewhere in this forum and it was supposed to be released during Christmas of 2013 but it never happened and I just kept waiting until I gave up.

P.S.: Do you have a region free Blu-ray Player or a PC/Laptop with Blu-ray? Then get the FUNimation Blu-ray instead! Japanese 5.1, Slipcover, 3 discs and a slim Blu-ray case all in all neat packaging. My FUNi BoG Blu-ray should arrive within a few days or if lucky, tomorrow. ^_^
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

OJPArtist

Post by OJPArtist » Wed May 06, 2015 4:10 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:From what I recall, I read it somewhere in this forum and it was supposed to be released during Christmas of 2013 but it never happened and I just kept waiting until I gave up.

P.S.: Do you have a region free Blu-ray Player or a PC/Laptop with Blu-ray? Then get the FUNimation Blu-ray instead! Japanese 5.1, Slipcover, 3 discs and a slim Blu-ray case all in all neat packaging. My FUNi BoG Blu-ray should arrive within a few days or if lucky, tomorrow. ^_^
Well I already own half of the seasons on DVD and I'm not very bothered about Blu Rays. I might buy BoG on blu ray but not sure :/
Hope you enjoy your BoG blu ray btw! :D

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed May 06, 2015 7:05 pm

Well, considering most of Manga UK's DB releases are based on Madman's(only exception is BOG, I think), and Madman never put out any of the Dragon Boxes...yeah, unfortunately I don't think it's likely that you'll see them over in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'season' Blu-Rays eventually made their way to you guys, though.
OJPArtist wrote: I know funimation had trouble getting the masters from Toi to be able to reproduce the Dragon Box in American since it was originally a Japanese only release
I believe there were some Dragon Box-type releases put out in Spain at some point. Not sure when they came out in relation to FUNi's, though.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 06, 2015 7:35 pm

OJPArtist wrote:Well I already own half of the seasons on DVD and I'm not very bothered about Blu-rays. I might buy BoG on Blu-ray but not sure :/
Hope you enjoy your BoG Blu-ray btw! :D
Already seen it a couple of times but didn't own an English subtitled release of it, but yeah, thanks.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Well, considering most of Manga UK's DB releases are based on Madman's(only exception is BOG, I think), and Madman never put out any of the Dragon Boxes...yeah, unfortunately I don't think it's likely that you'll see them over in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'season' Blu-rays eventually made their way to you guys, though.
It is the Season Blu-rays so don't see why the need to put it in quotation marks.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

OJPArtist

Post by OJPArtist » Thu May 07, 2015 7:12 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Well, considering most of Manga UK's DB releases are based on Madman's(only exception is BOG, I think), and Madman never put out any of the Dragon Boxes...yeah, unfortunately I don't think it's likely that you'll see them over in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'season' Blu-Rays eventually made their way to you guys, though.
OJPArtist wrote: I know funimation had trouble getting the masters from Toi to be able to reproduce the Dragon Box in American since it was originally a Japanese only release
I believe there were some Dragon Box-type releases put out in Spain at some point. Not sure when they came out in relation to FUNi's, though.
I think the blu rays will happen but I am not sure. MangaUK have said that since the anime fanbase isn't that big in the UK they wont release blu rays. there aren't many anime on blu ray over here we have battle of gods and fairy tail and I think one of the one piece movies. DBZ is a pretty big cash cow so maybe we will see blu ray releases but its the same chance as Clannad getting a blu ray release anytime soon...very slim :(