Worth Double Dipping for the Kai Blu-Rays?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vaughngief
Not-So-Newbie

Worth Double Dipping for the Kai Blu-Rays?

Post by Vaughngief » Thu May 07, 2015 5:29 am

I own all 8 of the of the 13 episode sets on DVD already, but recently I've been thinking about buying the season sets on blu-ray. I'm guessing the music would be Z's original score, but I don't know what to expect exactly in terms of picture quality.I figured we'll have to be getting the Buu arc of Kai soon, so I'd like to have the series on the same format. Now that I own two blu-ray players I'd like to get the best possible release of Kai.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Worth Double Dipping for the Kai Blu-Rays?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 07, 2015 7:15 am

The picture quality during the Freeza arc looks magnificent and on top of that with the Yamamoto score it's quite an awesome experience to see Kai in action like it was meant to be, the rest still looks very good though keep in mind Parts 5-8 have the replacement score sadly (sold these as I didn't care about them). Aside from the music issue on the Kai Season Blu-rays they're pretty much the same as the Parts but lack the original score of Kai and even knowingly it is the soundtrack of Z it's been butchered and at times too repetitive. :-/

It's up to you if you want to watch Kai again but now on Blu-ray or not, though it's always worth watching it very now and then for different purposes.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Thu May 07, 2015 9:58 am

If you consider yourself a "collector" do it. If not don't waste the effort.
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 07, 2015 11:34 am

If you're OCD about Dragon Ball releases on Blu-Ray, go for it. Otherwise, if you're not a collector, I don't think it's worth it.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:49 pm

It's funny because I own the Blu-rays and was thinking about double dipping for the DVDs. Is that weird? I have my reasons... lol For one hing, it will make the differences in quality very clear to me. But the second reason is that I have been extracting subtitles from everything Dragon Ball related and can't do it off of the Blu-rays because...I'm guessing because they're Blu-rays.

Is that weird?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 07, 2015 9:12 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:It's funny because I own the Blu-rays and was thinking about double dipping for the DVDs. Is that weird? I have my reasons... lol For one hing, it will make the differences in quality very clear to me. But the second reason is that I have been extracting subtitles from everything Dragon Ball related and can't do it off of the Blu-rays because...I'm guessing because they're Blu-rays.

Is that weird?
Nah. It's just one of the many quirks of being a Dragon Ball fan. :)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 08, 2015 8:48 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:It's funny because I own the Blu-rays and was thinking about double dipping for the DVDs. Is that weird? I have my reasons... lol For one hing, it will make the differences in quality very clear to me. But the second reason is that I have been extracting subtitles from everything Dragon Ball related and can't do it off of the Blu-rays because...I'm guessing because they're Blu-rays.

Is that weird?
No. That's just something every likes to do (if possible) for a release they love.

I for example own a copy of Dead or Alive 2 on Dreamcast 1x Retail 1x Promo, 1x PS2 and 1x Xbox... The Xbox remastered edition would have been more than enough but I liked the game that much (my fave fighting game of the 5th gen). :lol: And then for Sonic Adventure 1x DC 1x NGC, Sonic Adventure 2 1x DC and 1x NGC.

The Sonic Adventure series hasn't aged well and it's kinda crap but it has its place on the DC and NGC library.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri May 08, 2015 8:56 am

Like people said, only if your a collector.
I'm a pokemon collector so whenever the games come out I ALWAYS buy both of them.

Is that weird? My friends tease me lol

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Fri May 08, 2015 11:31 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Like people said, only if your a collector.
I'm a pokemon collector so whenever the games come out I ALWAYS buy both of them.

Is that weird? My friends tease me lol
I wouldn't think so, I do that for other franchises, but I never really understood why people don't buy both of them.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri May 08, 2015 3:57 pm

Because to buy both of them you gotta pay twice the money for a game that doesn't really differ much.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sat May 09, 2015 7:06 am

I would say 100% yes if you watch on TV even 40" or larger. On smaller TV's maybe not as much, but on my 50" and 70" Kai looks fantastic on blu-ray. Love my blu-rays!