Why didn't anyone else ever bother learning the dodonpa?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Sauza
Beyond Newbie

Why didn't anyone else ever bother learning the dodonpa?

Post by Captain Sauza » Thu May 07, 2015 3:02 pm

Being superior to the kamehameha it would have been pretty useful at times, particularly in SSJ2 Gohan's kamehameha struggle with SPC. If he fired a Super Dodonpa similar to Cyborg Tao, he likely could have overcome Cell more easily. Does everyone outside of Tien and Chiaotzu think techniques from the Crane School are beneath them or something?
"We are Cooler's Armored Squadron!" *performs Sauza fighting pose*

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why didn't anyone else ever bother learning the dodonpa?

Post by One_Instance » Thu May 07, 2015 3:27 pm

It might be some loyalty they feel they owe to Roshi for being their first teacher but, I think it's because they'd already built up a lot of strength into the Kamehameha and put a decent amount of time into training with it. They were already fairly familiar with the Kamehameha, so why would they start with a new technique that would be much weaker when they used it? I suppose it would become much stronger over time, but if they kept dedicating that time to an attack they were already strong with, they could make it more powerful than starting from the bottom of the barrel with the Dodonpa.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu May 07, 2015 3:29 pm

The better question(s) is why nobody bothered to ask Goku to teach them the Instant Transmission and Kaioken techniques.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu May 07, 2015 3:59 pm

In Universe, the Dodonpa is an attack created by the Crane Hermit. So, there could be an issue of school loyalty. Or it could be that the Kamehameha is more of a versatile technique, even if the Dodonpa is stronger, and usually comes with no charge time. Or...the Dodonpa is just a generic finger blast, and doesn't have the badass style that comes with doing the Kamehameha pose.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 07, 2015 4:09 pm

Doctor. wrote:The better question(s) is why nobody bothered to ask Goku to teach them the Instant Transmission and Kaioken techniques.
I always assumed that the Instant Transmission technique was hard technique to learn, so Goku never bothered to teach anyone it because it would take too long to teach them and as there were imminent threats constantly in Dragon Ball, where would find the other Z-Fighters find the time to learn and master the technique? Especially if took Goku himself quite a while to learn himself.

As far as the Kaioken goes, I don't think any of the Z-Fighters would have bothered with that shit after the Freeza arc. SSJ made Kaioken obsolete, and it wouldn't really do any favours for the humans either as the power gap between them and the Saiyans, Cyborg, Aliens and Nameks became too wide to close.

And with the Dodonpa, I honestly don't think anyone cared about that technique enough to be bothered to learn it.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Thu May 07, 2015 4:09 pm

I took it as the dodonpa is more a penetration ki blast similar to freeza;s finger blast and the kameha is a wide destruction blast.So overall kameha is better.

Imagine using dodonpa on cell.

Goku:dodonpa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cell:aghhh dammit goku stop making bullet holes in me its getting annoying.

On buu it would be the equivalent of throwing water on him ^^

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Thu May 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The better question(s) is why nobody bothered to ask Goku to teach them the Instant Transmission and Kaioken techniques.
I always assumed that the Instant Transmission technique was hard technique to learn, so Goku never bothered to teach anyone it because it would take too long to teach them and as there were imminent threats constantly in Dragon Ball, where would find the other Z-Fighters find the time to learn and master the technique? Especially if took Goku himself quite a while to learn himself.

As far as the Kaioken goes, I don't think any of the Z-Fighters would have bothered with that shit after the Freeza arc. SSJ made Kaioken obsolete, and it wouldn't really do any favours for the humans either as the power gap between them and the Saiyans, Cyborg, Aliens and Nameks became too wide to close.

And with the Dodonpa, I honestly don't think anyone cared about that technique enough to be bothered to learn it.
So during the large time gap of peacefulness from end of Majin Buu Saga it would be too difficult for anyone to learn the technique ?

Except it would help the humans by making them signifcantly more powerful and able to combat stronger foes. Even Tenshihan holding off cell would of been more effective if he had kai-o-ken x 20. Also as we saw. The more experience you got with the technique and the higher your PL became so to was the kai-o-ken multiplier you could use. So essentially the humans could of gotten their equivalent to SSJ from the kai-o-ken technique.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu May 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Pretty sure the Kamehameha is superior to the Dodonpa. The Kikoho though was stated to be superior to the Kamehameha.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 07, 2015 6:15 pm

So during the large time gap of peacefulness from end of Majin Buu Saga it would be too difficult for anyone to learn the technique ?
Many of the Z-Fighters lost their drive to become stronger by this stage. And remember, by the time of EOZ occured, Goku flew off to train with Oob for God-knows how long.
Except it would help the humans by making them signifcantly more powerful and able to combat stronger foes. Even Tenshihan holding off cell would of been more effective if he had kai-o-ken x 20. Also as we saw. The more experience you got with the technique and the higher your PL became so to was the kai-o-ken multiplier you could use. So essentially the humans could of gotten their equivalent to SSJ from the kai-o-ken technique.
Still wouldn't have made a damn difference. Every major villain post-Freeza would stomp the human cast even with the Kaioken.

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Thu May 07, 2015 6:58 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Many of the Z-Fighters lost their drive to become stronger by this stage. And remember, by the time of EOZ occured, Goku flew off to train with Oob for God-knows how long.
Still wouldn't have made a damn difference. Every major villain post-Freeza would stomp the human cast even with the Kaioken.
1. Vegeta still trains. So does Tien and Piccolo. It took goku 1 year to master the technique. He had several years over past majin buu to teach his friends.

2. Tien alone was able to pin cell down with his ki-cannon without kai-oken. Krillin with a wide gap in power was able to cut Freeza. By multiplying their PL the humans would of remained relevant.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu May 07, 2015 7:05 pm

shonenhikada wrote:Even Tenshihan holding off cell would of been more effective if he had kai-o-ken x 20.
I don't see how doubling up on life threatening attacks is necessarily guaranteed to grant greater effectiveness.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 07, 2015 7:29 pm

Vegeta still trains. So does Tenshinhan and Piccolo. It took goku 1 year to master the technique. He had several years over past majin buu to teach his friends.
Vegeta, Tien and Piccolo are also too damn prideful to want Goku to teach them a technique. And who says it took Goku just one year to learn the technique? He was on Planet Yardrat for two years.
Tenshinhan alone was able to pin cell down with his ki-cannon without kai-oken. Krillin with a wide gap in power was able to cut Freeza. By multiplying their PL the humans would of remained relevant.
They really wouldn't have. And besides, the Kienzan is impractical in combat because Krillin can control it once he throws it.

Captain Sauza
Beyond Newbie

Post by Captain Sauza » Thu May 07, 2015 9:21 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Pretty sure the Kamehameha is superior to the Dodonpa. The Kikoho though was stated to be superior to the Kamehameha.
I forget what part it was, but there was one time where Master Roshi states that the dodonpa is more powerful than the kamehameha.
"We are Cooler's Armored Squadron!" *performs Sauza fighting pose*

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Thu May 07, 2015 11:37 pm

The Dodonpa is more powerful than the regular Kamehameha seen throughout the original Dragonball...

...but it's not more powerful than the Super Kamehameha that Goku came up with later on in Dragonball and continued to use through early DBZ.

And especially not the even-further-improved versions beyond even that, which would be the Kamehamehas that everyone (or at least Goku and probably Gohan) uses throughout DBZ, as mentioned in the Cell saga. Piccolo notes that Imperfect Cell's Kamehameha was super weak compared to the ones that Goku and company would be throwing around now, and figures out that he must have information on the Kamehameha technique that Goku used against Vegeta (which pales in comparison to the improved one he has after several years of training.)
This is also why I don't see big ki attacks as a set "multiplier," more like addition -- yeah, Goku's Kamehameha vs. Raditz was 900ish when he was only in the 400s range, but rather than a 2x-ish multiplier I see that as Goku adding a certain amount to his ki by focusing a load of it into one attack, and if he became drastically stronger he'd have to develop a new version of the technique that can put out further heightened levels of power (this could also explain why Goku's Kaio-ken x20 Kamehameha wasn't overwhelmingly stronger than Freeza's 50% when Goku with x20 should've already been about even with him -- it wasn't Goku with Kaio-ken x20 plus another "multiplier" on top, but rather Goku with Kaio-ken x20 plus 500 or so... or maybe a few tens/hundreds of thousands or so, assuming Goku came up with a better Kamehameha between fighting Vegeta and Freeza.) Cell using that Kamehameha might only come out with a "Cell's power + 500" level blast rather than something twice as strong as Cell's starting power level... and of course "Cell's level + 500" would be super weak to Piccolo, who was stronger than initial Imperfect Cell by a big enough margin that Cell didn't feel like he could handle him even after he'd lost a bit of ki regenerating an arm, and instead ran off to eat a ton of humans and power up.

====

Of course, it's possible that further and further improved versions of the Dodonpa would be able to scale in power just like the Kamehameha did, or possibly better. Tao did have a Super Dodonpa when he last appeared after all, though it's hard to say if that was comparable to the Super Kamehameha or just better than the regular Dodonpa (while still being lesser than the Super Kamehameha.) Maybe in some alternate universe Dodonpa became the "everyone learns and uses it" move and Z-era Goku's blasting out insanely powered-up versions of Dodonpa rather than his variations of the Kamehameha.

Though, considering that the Dodonpa seems to be a piercing sort of attack rather than a "disintegrate/burn/explode" attack like the Kamehameha, that alternate universe would start to have a lot of difficulty once guys like Cell and Buu with super-regeneration showed up...

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri May 08, 2015 12:29 am

Captain Sauza wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Pretty sure the Kamehameha is superior to the Dodonpa. The Kikoho though was stated to be superior to the Kamehameha.
I forget what part it was, but there was one time where Master Roshi states that the dodonpa is more powerful than the kamehameha.
Master Roshi stated it when Krillin was facing off against Chaozu.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:12 am

FoolsGil wrote: Master Roshi stated it when Krillin was facing off against Chaozu.
Well, the way Roshi said it, I never really got the impression that the Dodonpa was necessarily stronger than the Kamehameha. Given that this was the first time Kuririn had ever used the Kamehameha (or at least the first that Roshi was aware of), I took his comment about a "hastily thrown together" Kamehameha as being him saying that someone inexperienced with the Kamehameha couldn't just hastily put one together and expect it to stand up against a Dodonpa.

It wasn't like with the Ki Kou Hou, where Roshi just flat out says that it's superior to the Kamehameha. Here, he specifically commented about a hastily thrown together one, which kind of tells me that it's not always a X is stronger than Y situation.

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Fri May 08, 2015 5:55 am

FoolsGil wrote:
Captain Sauza wrote:
Master Roshi stated it when Krillin was facing off against Chaozu.
Master Roshi is a phagggot.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri May 08, 2015 5:58 am

It was just unfashionable and unpopular I guess. No reason it couldn't have succeeded against stronger characters when wielded by someone on a comparable level. In fact it's similar to Freeza's Death Beam which we know was an effective technique.

The only real advantage the Kamehameha has is that it can completely envelop and destroy regenerating enemies like Cell and Buu while the Dodonpa's beam is too narrow to do so. But I could see SSJ Goku killing Freeza with a Dodonpa if he had learned it.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri May 08, 2015 7:14 am

Didnt Tien stop using it?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 08, 2015 9:03 am

TheGmGoken wrote:Didnt Tenshinhan stop using it?
Yeah, he pretty much never used the Dodonpa in Z. I guess he quickly realised that the Kikōhō proved more effective in battle.