Should I watch the Super ROF arc first or the movie?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Should I watch the Super ROF arc first or the movie?

Post by bleed0range » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:40 pm

So, I haven't seen ROF yet and I've only heard lukewarm/mixed-positive reviews of it so far. I've been waiting to see it in theaters and have mostly stayed away from spoilers and intricate details. I'm thinking that, unlike with BOG, I have an opportunity here to experience the ROF storyline first in Super. Which might end up being better. Since I know very little about the movie, prior knowledge of of it might not creep up and taint the experience with Super. Only bummer is ill probably never get another chance to see it in the theater.

So, what do you guys think or recommend? Anyone else in the same position and thinking of doing the same? If I wait I could later post my thoughts after the arc is done and I've seen the movie on how I felt about ROF having first experienced it as it's own arc of the television series.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Should I watch the Super ROF arc first or the movie?

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:46 pm

I haven't watched the movie either, but I really don't think it matters much. Whichever you want.

I'll probably watch it beforehand myself, though. I want to compare the two with having watched the movie first.
Last edited by DoomieDoomie911 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:49 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:I haven't watched the movie either, but I really don't think it matters much. Whichever you want.
Well a lot of people have issue with the fact that super is retelling those stories. If I lay off, ROF will seem completely new to me and the experience will last longer then a movie ever could and might end up being better. Really can't decide.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:52 pm

I say if you can find people to watch the movie with you, then go watch it at the cinema. If not, then wait until Super starts it.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:53 pm

bleed0range wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:I haven't watched the movie either, but I really don't think it matters much. Whichever you want.
Well a lot of people have issue with the fact that super is retelling those stories. If I lay off, ROF will seem completely new to me and the experience will last longer then a movie ever could and might end up being better. Really can't decide.
I don't know... I mean, Super's retelling could be better, worse, or about the same in quality, so I can see why you don't know what to do.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:00 pm

I dunno, I'd probably watch the movie first. The film version of Resurrection F seems to have its fair share of problems, with the specific number of which depending on the type of fan you are for the franchise. I feel as if you wait and watch Super first though, you'll probably never see it in all that positive of a light unless the TV adaptation is really inferior. I think you'd be better off going to see it in the theater (partially just for the experience), and then potentially appreciating the TV adaption for what it changes, good or bad.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:03 pm

My advice would be waiting for Super. I didn't enjoy the movie at all.
I hope that the Super version will end up being waaay better. It can't get much worse after all.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:07 pm

I'm going to watch the movie. I'm sure the Super version of ROF will be more fleshed out but seeing Dragon Ball Z in theaters is not something that happens often. If you can get a buddy or two to tag along I'm sure you will have a good time. Besides, this is the only way we can support the series in the US right now. (Other than buying the DVDs/Blu-Rays of course)
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Toriyama will have more time and freedom with Super so you should watch it there 1st.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Think of Super as the movies Reverse-Kai ...

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:15 am

Why don't people like RoF?
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:42 am

xmysticgohanx wrote:Why don't people like RoF?
for me its
-the whole gohan not going super saiyan thing
-Frieza trains for 4 months and is SSGSS level of strength
-Piccolo can't beat a red lacky of Frieza
-I thought reverse time was silly
-no one cared the earth blew up and everyone died except Bulma
-etc.

its a decent movie but I'd Say BOG was the stronger movie. But ROF does have Jaco, so it does get lots of bonus points from me for that :P
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:14 am

The arc in Super will more than likely be an adaptation of the film, making the film the source material. I'd personally say watch the source material before the adaptation.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:00 pm

It ruins Freeza, it has a painfully predictable and anti-climactic ending, the fights are boring and uninspired, among other things.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:49 pm

I'd say watch the movie first then watch Supers arc version of the movie, considering that Super is re-telling the original events that took place in the movie.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:05 pm

I'm surprised RoF has such a lukewarm response! I really liked it, and will see it in theaters despite my dislike of the Funi Dub (TFS has helped me appreciate it some). In general, I liked BoG more, but there is less secondhand embarrassment in RoF ( sorry, I simultaneously laugh and cringe and have to turn away during the bingo scene, I can't deal with that -- I know people love it), and there is a lot of Jaco, Bulma, and Beerus commentary which I love. And I liked the last fight a lot.

I agree the mix of 3d and 2d was a bit jarring to watch -- but then again I find any 3d in my dragonball a bit jarring -- I don't think it is an art style suited for 3d. But in general the colors are crisp and they do some creative things here and there.

In conclusion, I'd watch RoF before Super. Otherwise, you are likely never going to bother watching it. Also, going to theaters with fans is always a pleasant experience.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:24 pm

After thinking about it, I think you should go see it in theater. As MajinMan said, it's not something you get to do all of the time.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:01 am

Thanks for all the input guys. I've decided to go see it in the theater, because I don't want to miss out on getting to see it up on the big screen. :thumbup:

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:15 am

Both, because one cannot get enough of Dragon Ball...

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:19 am

Just watch both. I wouldn't miss out on seeing DB in theaters. That's a rare opportunity that doesn't come along a lot. You can still watch the RoF arc in Super.