Goku's training weights in DBS

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Goku's training weights in DBS

Post by ssjjanemba » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:16 am

Hi everyone. If you have seen first few episodes on DBS, you can see Goku training on King Kai's planet. He is seen pulling and lifting some heavy weights.
How much do you think these weights weigh? Reason that i ask is because of the controversial scene in Dragon Ball where Goku is struggling with 40 tons at base form.
Hi

h0kuten
Banned

Re: Goku's training weights in DBS

Post by h0kuten » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:27 am

Goku said he asked for 10 tons, which equates to 100 tons by Dragonball Super. So he should be 2.5x stronger than his Buu Arc self.

Buu

Goku
~Base 1
~Ssj 50
~Ssj2 100
~SSj3 400

Super

Goku
~Base 2.5
~Ssj 125
~Ssj2 250
~Ssj3 1,000

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:16 am

h0kuten wrote:Goku said he asked for 10 tons, which equates to 100 tons by Dragonball Super. So he should be 2.5x stronger than his Buu Arc self.

Buu

Goku
~Base 1
~Ssj 50
~Ssj2 100
~SSj3 400

Super

Goku
~Base 2.5
~Ssj 125
~Ssj2 250
~Ssj3 1,000
Wait, Goku asked for 10 tons in Super? I really can't remember that. What scene is that in? Those weights look far too big to be just 10 ton.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:03 am

Sora Saiyan wrote:
h0kuten wrote:Goku said he asked for 10 tons, which equates to 100 tons by Dragonball Super. So he should be 2.5x stronger than his Buu Arc self.
Wait, Goku asked for 10 tons in Super? I really can't remember that. What scene is that in? Those weights look far too big to be just 10 ton.
We aren't given a specific weight at all. All we can determine is that they are heavy.
I don't know where Hokuten gets it from.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:29 am

Yeah that's what I thought dbgtFO. They're 10x heavier than they appear aswell, thanks to being on Kaio's planet. So they're.. Heavy. :P

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:15 pm

Saw this from someone on another site
it's easy to understand the weight was in the range of thousands of tons.Just look at the dimensions: you can guess them by knowing Goku's height.
You can thus evaluate the total volume and even if all of that was made by water (1000 kg/m^3 and thus way less dense than iron or steel or copper), the weight outcome would still be in the range of thousands tons.
Furthermore, factoring in the 10G of King Kai's planet, on Earth, with the same physical force displayed, Goku would even easily lift ten times the weight.

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:24 pm

Saiyan007 wrote:Saw this from someone on another site
it's easy to understand the weight was in the range of thousands of tons.Just look at the dimensions: you can guess them by knowing Goku's height.
You can thus evaluate the total volume and even if all of that was made by water (1000 kg/m^3 and thus way less dense than iron or steel or copper), the weight outcome would still be in the range of thousands tons.
Furthermore, factoring in the 10G of King Kai's planet, on Earth, with the same physical force displayed, Goku would even easily lift ten times the weight.
I agree with him. The weights looked like it was in the thousand ton range. I wish the anime could have gave us an exact number. At least this gets rid of the 40 ton bullshit.
Hi

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:23 pm

Saiyan007 wrote:Saw this from someone on another site
Judging by that it's in the tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of tons then? It obviously isn't going to be filled with water, so 100,000 ton + doesn't seem too ridiculous thinking about it.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:57 pm

Well whatever it weighs it should put down the 40 ton crap for good :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:45 pm

pacz360 wrote:Well whatever it weighs it should put down the 40 ton crap for good :lol:
I also hope it negates the whole 40 tons scenario, too.

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:59 pm

Plot twist : They were just filled with air and the outside layer is only a cm thick :lol:

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:32 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
pacz360 wrote:Well whatever it weighs it should put down the 40 ton crap for good :lol:
I also hope it negates the whole 40 tons scenario, too.
There were 15 plates total. Each plate would only need to weigh 3 tons on King Kai's world(600lbs on Earth), and it would already be a far greater feat. :)

MisterGuyMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MisterGuyMan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:49 pm

The 40 ton thing was always BS. Here's my standard answer to that:
Herms wrote:It’s worth pointing out that it basically says the reason Goku’s weight training in Heaven was so effective was that he used Bukujutsu to float in midair as he used the weights, which made it much harder.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 3&start=80

Goku was moving around more than 40 tons even in DB as a kid.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:57 pm

There's no real way to know unless we can tell what they are made of. I guess you could measure the volume of them and then multiply by the density of a few different materials like iron, steel, lead, etc. to get an idea.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:27 pm

I hope it gets rid of the 40 ton thing as well. I love how western comic fan boys are like, "it's confirmed people, 40 tons is Gokuu's limit. he clearly was struggling as he effortlessly threw flurrys of punches and kicks with 10 tons on each limb. clearly his limit"

I think base Gokuu could take 40 tons if he powered up, not SSJ. If you notice, when the weight was increased, Gokuu didn't hit the ground.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:39 pm

It's just an inconsistency. This would have weighed significantly more than 40 tons itself.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:48 pm

Haji wrote:I hope it gets rid of the 40 ton thing as well. I love how western comic fan boys are like, "it's confirmed people, 40 tons is Gokuu's limit. he clearly was struggling as he effortlessly threw flurrys of punches and kicks with 10 tons on each limb. clearly his limit"

I think base Gokuu could take 40 tons if he powered up, not SSJ. If you notice, when the weight was increased, Gokuu didn't hit the ground.
I agree i feel like sone people tend to forger not every character in fiction are going to be consistent with there feats.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:16 pm

If the weights Goku was pulling were similar to Olympic weights it would fit, maybe, hundreds of 100lb weights in just one of his weights.

Edit: Just found this. Don't know anything about this kind of stuff, so I don't know if it's a good calc or not.
Establishing lifting strength supposed helps to alleviate the perception that DB striking power doesn't remotely scale but such as small lifting feat does little for that though and the relation is fuzzy.

So, quick and dirty. Take this lightly.

A quick calc using 30ftx30ftx30ft w/ 10g and density of steel gave me 61 million kg

But you know... What can you do with that figure? Scale it from real lift martial artist (whom Goku should be faster and more skilled that.)? And it only gives you his base striking power, not Super Saiyan 1/2/3/G.

It's ~22k times a world record of lifting, so if it's the same amount
22k times "Class H: Human class. Punches and kicks usually range in the few hundred joules but there are a few heavy weight boxers who’re pushing slightly above a thousand joules per hit." puts us between "Class MJ: Megajoule class. Attacks can have effects similar to high-explosives. At high end we’re talking about outright building busting attacks.
Class GJ: Gigajoule class: Attacks carry the force of many tons of TNT explosives. Building level to low end multi city block level"

This isn't anything to write home about. It's obviously indicative of higher than this, but unquantifiable so. Goku punches with more speed and skill than people do, but how much so? He punches harder in SS, but how much more so?
Actually upon taking a closer look at this I don't think its a great calc, as the weights he was squatting and shoulder pressing appear a lot bigger than that to me.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:02 pm

When did Goku gain the ability to magically pull crapp outa his 4ss like the Kai's or piccolo :problem:

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:09 pm

ssjjanemba wrote:I agree with him. The weights looked like it was in the thousand ton range. I wish the anime could have gave us an exact number. At least this gets rid of the 40 ton bullshit.
To be fair Heaven is a huge planet. It is highly possible it has gravity equivalent or exceeding Kaio's world. So it may be 400 tons.