Pilaf Gang in Super and beyond

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Pilaf Gang in Super and beyond

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:24 pm

Since the next episode of DBS features the Pilaf Gang in a relevant role; I want to hear everybody opinions and expectations.
Do most fans like them? Should they appear more? What's their worth to the series?
Personally I have big expectations for episode 4 and the future of the Pilaf Gang - they have a role in FnF, so it's expected to have them back -; breaking the monotony of the main cast, with silly Toriyama humor can only have an upside.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Pilaf Gang in Super and beyond

Post by irreality » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:36 pm

I really like them, even though they are ridiculous. I especially like Mai. She seems smart and calculating, but is embarrassed by holding hands. And it is good to have "villains" that are not out to destroy the universe, yet remain plot relevant and don't just become everyone's friends. They are sort of the useful idiots that help better villains get the dragon balls.

I have mixed feelings about Mai/Trunks pairing: on one hand, it is *super* creepy and weird, but on the other hand, I have trouble seeing Mai having more emotional maturity than Trunks, so it works out, somehow? :?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:41 pm

I don't mind some appearances during peace time/the break between arcs or during any light-hearted moments in an arc, but I don't want them to be shoved in serious business (!) type of arcs like they were in Resurrection 'F'. I like their antics when the main focus of an arc/moment is comedy, if something important or interesting is going down and we cut to a shot of Pilaf doing his thing, then it just takes me out of the right mood; I don't want them to be just comic relief, is what I'm saying.

Kinda like how the fight with Cell and Boo in the anime kept cutting to Mr. Satan being a fool while in the manga only rarely did it happen, and when it did he usually did something important to trigger the next event of the arc. Here's an example of comic relief being done badly and right with the same character.

I think they won't stick around for long, they seem to be disliked among the general fanbase, at least over here in the West, no idea about Japan.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:43 pm

They are enjoyable gag characters. So they are welcome to return since they pretty much ran off and where never heard of again after Piccolo Daimao. Oddly enough Pilaf mistaken Goten as Young Goku and remembers Bulma. However Pilaf and his gang don't get surprise how Piccolo is there and don't get a flash back of Piccolo Daimao.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:00 pm

They have their use, but not as part of the main cast; I don't want them to make frequent appearances. They'll end up being as redundant as Team Rocket.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:05 pm

I like 'um. They're like Dragon Ball's "Team Rocket" (Disclaimer: I've only watched up to the beginning of Pokémon's 3rd season; I have no idea if anything's changed concerning "Jesse/Musashi", "James/Kojiro", and "Meowth/Nyarth" that's right!. All I know is twitter tells me they're still a part of the cast.) They're ridiculous, and you know they won't succeed, but it's about how ridiculous they can get and in what way they'll fail. Also Shu being a ninja dog amuses me. :3

I also like Shigeru Chiba's performance as Pilaf; he's fun.

As for Super and beyond; all depends on what kind of story they're telling and if utilizing them works within the context of the story.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:42 pm

I always have liked them. It's nice to have homages to the original series. As long as they don't appear too much (and I don't think they will), it shouldn't be a problem.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:52 pm

irreality wrote:I really like them, even though they are ridiculous. I especially like Mai. She seems smart and calculating, but is embarrassed by holding hands. And it is good to have "villains" that are not out to destroy the universe, yet remain plot relevant and don't just become everyone's friends. They are sort of the useful idiots that help better villains get the dragon balls.

I have mixed feelings about Mai/Trunks pairing: on one hand, it is *super* creepy and weird, but on the other hand, I have trouble seeing Mai having more emotional maturity than Trunks, so it works out, somehow? :?
The part I underlined on your quote is spot on. The pairing is weird, but it's just drawings and Dragon Ball is pretty simple. So I don't think about that aspect when watching. Compared with another cartoon Bojack Horseman where I would be weird out by the situation.
Hellspawn28 wrote:They are enjoyable gag characters. So they are welcome to return since they pretty much ran off and where never heard of again after Piccolo Daimao. Oddly enough Pilaf mistaken Goten as Young Goku and remembers Bulma. However Pilaf and his gang don't get surprise how Piccolo is there and don't get a flash back of Piccolo Daimao.
Didn't even remenber this during BoG such a wasted opportunity. Maybe in Super...
Chuquita wrote:I like 'um. They're like Dragon Ball's "Team Rocket" (Disclaimer: I've only watched up to the beginning of Pokémon's 3rd season; I have no idea if anything's changed concerning "Jesse/Musashi", "James/Kojiro", and "Meowth/Nyarth" that's right!. All I know is twitter tells me they're still a part of the cast.) They're ridiculous, and you know they won't succeed, but it's about how ridiculous they can get and in what way they'll fail. Also Shu being a ninja dog amuses me. :3

I also like Shigeru Chiba's performance as Pilaf; he's fun.

As for Super and beyond; all depends on what kind of story they're telling and if utilizing them works within the context of the story.
Team Rocket is awful, always the same punchline that drags the show down.I hope Super never allows this to happen, it would disheartening.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Leave those 3 out and bring Lunch to the table.
That's my opinion about this matter.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:43 pm

I am not really big fan of them, ever since i saw them in dragon ball, i knew Toriyama had a terrible sense of humor and his villains looked like they were targeted for 5 years old. not to mention the terrible character design that would probably suit for 1950's cartoons. Plus they never made sense for me to appear later in the series. Their a fod simple as that and if their going to have pilaf gang take up more than 1/3 of the episode this series is only setting up for a failure and Toriyama should already retire.
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

Sciz

Post by Sciz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:03 pm

It's fun to have them around again. Their scenes in BoG with Trunks and Goten in particular are all solid gold.

They hit the same basic comedic notes as Mr. Satan, wherein an egotistical but harmless outsider inadvertently highlights the completely absurd nature of the principal cast through their own scheming, they just come at it from a different angle. It's important for someone to do that periodically to keep the series from taking itself too seriously, but where Satan's finally developed some degree of awareness that he's in way over his head, Pilaf and co. just keep plugging away at it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:31 pm

I don't mind the Pilaf Gang at all. They were Team Rocket and The Amoeba Boys before Team Rocket and The Amoeba Boys were even a thing. They're comic relief and only serve the purpose to see how the fail at being evil. But I think their appearances are best if they are brief scenes as supposed to taking up half an episode or a full one. But hey, one episode dedicated to them ain't the worst thing in the world.