Fact Checker (update: Ep.51)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.6)

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:46 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:As I asked earlier:

Minute: 3~4
Elder Kaioshin: “In this universe, there are gods like us, responsible for creating planets and life…And on the flipside, there is a god responsible for destroying those planets and that life. That’s Beerus-sama, the God of Destruction.”
Kaioshin: “Yes, I know of him. So his destruction does have meaning to it.”
Elder Kaioshin: “It doesn’t. There’s no purpose to it. Beerus-sama just destroys on a whim."

Is this line as contradictory as it looks? Elder Kaioshin says that Beerus's responsibility is to destroy planets, but that it serves no purpose. So how is it a responsibility, and why does he seemingly compare it to his own responsibility to create planets? The way the line is worded, it implies that Beerus could just, like, not commit genocide, and everything would still be more or less fine.
Basically, the way it's explained it seems that some planets have to be destroyed to maintain the balance, but which planets get destroyed is something Beerus determines purely on personal whim rather than any specific plan. Like if you hunt deer to keep their population in check, by shooting any deer you happen to see. In one sense there's no meaning behind the death of any individual deer, since they only get shot because they happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but in another sense their deaths help maintain ecological balance. The way it's phrased in the show could probably be clearer, but that seems to be what they're getting at.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:07 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:As I asked earlier:

Minute: 3~4
Elder Kaioshin: “In this universe, there are gods like us, responsible for creating planets and life…And on the flipside, there is a god responsible for destroying those planets and that life. That’s Beerus-sama, the God of Destruction.”
Kaioshin: “Yes, I know of him. So his destruction does have meaning to it.”
Elder Kaioshin: “It doesn’t. There’s no purpose to it. Beerus-sama just destroys on a whim."

Is this line as contradictory as it looks? Elder Kaioshin says that Beerus's responsibility is to destroy planets, but that it serves no purpose. So how is it a responsibility, and why does he seemingly compare it to his own responsibility to create planets? The way the line is worded, it implies that Beerus could just, like, not commit genocide, and everything would still be more or less fine.
The way I've interpreted that, which works with Beerus' seemingly random provocations for destroying planets, is that there must be destruction and endings -- every once in a while Beerus passes over the universe and destroys based on his whims. That it happens, like the presence of any natural disaster, is in the grand scheme important in taking the universe through its cycles. What form it takes is essentially meaningless.

That also explains why someone like Beerus would be so strong in comparison to the Kaioshin even if he doesn't outrank them, per se. It's important that they not be able to stop his destruction. I think at one point one of the kaioshin describes him as a storm passing over, which makes sense.

EDIT -- Didn't see Herms' post before responding. At any rate, I think Super has done a better job than Battle of Gods as far as explaining what exactly Beerus does.

Re: The pillow gag: The translation I watched (which was poor) seemed to imply that they'd given Beerus the best pillow they had and he was encouraging them to get some "best pillow in the universe" no matter how many people they had to kill for it. The actual gag, which is that King Vegeta had apparently gone to such great lengths to obtain some pillow that he tried to trick Beerus and keep it himself, is actually pretty damn funny. Mostly because I love the idea of King Vegeta being like, "Fuck it. I am keeping this extremely comfortable pillow."

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:22 am

I can't wait until Gokû and Vegeta meet up in Super.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:00 am

I just wanted to say that I love the idea behind this thread and thank you Herms for doing this. It is a big help!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:54 am

Chuquita wrote:
"It's n-not like I l-like him or anything, b-baka."

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:47 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
"It's n-not like I l-like him or anything, b-baka."
He's obviously internally conflicting with the whole idea of Goku being his nemesis and his constant years-long obsession with surpassing Kakarotto and his numerous instances of having become rather comfortable with the fact that he's not going to go to extreme lengths or kill people over the idea, as he was willing to do in the early Majin Buu arc (letting himself purposely be possessed by Babidi to achieve a power-up and killing hundreds of people at the stadium just to persuade Goku to fight; and when they do fight, he's more than willing to actually kill Goku in more than one occasion).

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Fact Checker

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:35 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Took him 4 years to receive the prize?! Hard to believe.
Having the Dragon Balls active a few days after they were used is even harder to believe. And if we get Videl being pregnant to Pan like in BoG, it will be even harder for me to believe that they would call a 9-year-old a 4-year-old.
Lets not forget Vegeta only fulfill his promise to Trunks 4 years later too.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:02 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Having the Dragon Balls active a few days after they were used is even harder to believe. And if we get Videl being pregnant to Pan like in BoG, it will be even harder for me to believe that they would call a 9-year-old a 4-year-old.
He isn't father of the year, so I wouldn't be surprised. One & a half year is already too long.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:59 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Well, it'd need to be at least 6 months later, so, either way, it still takes a long time.

Anyway, I think Super is actually going more for something like 1 or 2 years, rather than 4. I expect them to remove the bit about Pan helping SSJ God. I don't see why they'd want to keep the date vague and then throw in a pregnant Videl anyway, which would force the series to take place at a very specific point.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Speedsubs for episode 6 had the line about russian takoyaki mistranslated as saying that ALL the balls had wasabi in them.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:35 pm

They also mistranslated the hell out of the exchange between Goku and Kaio at the beginning, making the character say roughly the exact opposite of what they were actually saying.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:57 pm

Adamant wrote:They also mistranslated the hell out of the exchange between Goku and Kaio at the beginning, making the character say roughly the exact opposite of what they were actually saying.
So they had Kaio tell Goku to go, and Goku not want to, or something like that?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Genius work!

Speedsub Guesslations:
Kaio: Just go to the party already!
Goku: What is it? I want to get stronger to defeat the person I just fought.
Kaio: But if you don't go, will your friends not get angry with you?
Goku: That's true!

Dragon Team:
Kaio: You can't go to the party!
Goku: Why not? Just a while ago you were talkin' like you wanted me to go.
Kaio: And you said you didn't want to!
Goku: Well, yeah…
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:03 pm

This stuff never ceases to amaze me. I'll add that in later today.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Herms wrote:
Adamant wrote:They also mistranslated the hell out of the exchange between Goku and Kaio at the beginning, making the character say roughly the exact opposite of what they were actually saying.
So they had Kaio tell Goku to go, and Goku not want to, or something like that?
Kaio: いかーん! いかーん!絶対に パーティーに行っては いかんぞ。
Kaio: Stop! Stop! Just go to the party already!
Goku: 何だよ。 さっきまで行った方がよさそうなこと言ってたくせによ。
Kaio: お主だって 行きたくないと言っておっただろうが。
Goku: まっ そうだけどよ。
Goku: やっぱ 仙豆の力は すげえなぁ。すっかり 治っちまった。
Goku: But, he is very strong... and now I am completely healed!
Kaio: 仙豆なんぞくれてやるんじゃなかった。
Kaio: It'll be better if you find a reason to go...

And then:
Goku: 分かった 分かった。行かなきゃいいんだろ?
Goku: I understand, I understand! I wonder if I should go?

I'm crying.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Ajay wrote:Genius work!

Speedsub Guesslations:
Kaio: Just go to the party already!

Dragon Team:
Kaio: You can't go to the party!
Goku: Why not? Just a while ago you were talkin' like you wanted me to go.
Kaio: And you said you didn't want to!
Goku: Well, yeah…
Bloody unbelievable. Now wonder the Dragon Ball fandom is so misinformed on some things.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:35 pm

Puto wrote:Speedsubs for episode 6 had the line about russian takoyaki mistranslated as saying that ALL the balls had wasabi in them.
Holy hell, that's what was going on?

That's 1) Way funnier, and 2) makes so much more sense now. Can't believe I didn't figure that out on my own.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:00 pm

I know I'm beginning to sound like a total shill (and am pretty much ignoring forum rules regarding piracy), but when I ask people to please, please just wait a bit for Dragon Team subs rather than to rely on speed subs, this is pretty much the sort of thing I'm talking about.

(Although on that note, I think I totally glossed over the Russian roulette thing in my episode summary as well. I'll have to go fix that too.)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:05 pm

Herms wrote:I know I'm beginning to sound like a total shill (and am pretty much ignoring forum rules regarding piracy), but when I ask people to please, please just wait a bit for Dragon Team subs rather than to rely on speed subs, this is pretty much the sort of thing I'm talking about.
As a counter argument: I'm probably going to continue to watch speed-subs as I'm enjoying it illegally and will suffer through sub-par translations as a way of incentivizing early purchase of an official release.

On the other hand, I do wish everyone else would wait for Dragon Team, unless they also have enough sense to realize the translations they're getting are anywhere from slightly to very off and to not go spreading misinformation.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Cipher wrote:As a counter argument: I'm probably going to continue to watch speed-subs as I'm enjoying it illegally and will suffer through sub-par translations as a way of incentivizing early purchase of an official release.
If you're going to think about it in those terms, why not just watch it raw? Much more incentive to buy the official release that way, plus you won't have to worry about mistranslations or inadvertently spreading misinformation.