Remember when Goku said Gohan is a better man than him?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Remember when Goku said Gohan is a better man than him?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:33 pm

He musta been high when he said that...

I hate what Super is doing with Gohan. Not only did they give him the most humiliating and disrespectful take down from Beerus they seem to reduced him to a cowardly side character.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: Remember when Goku said Gohan is a better man than him?

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:35 pm

Goku says a lot of things. He also said he'd better stay dead because his presence on Earth attracts villains... Guess he changed his mind.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:35 pm

I don't remember that quote at all, actually. When does Goku say that?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:36 pm

This is said at the end of the Cell arc when Goku chooses to stay dead. Not exactly worded the same, though.

Goku: ...And so, maybe it ain't fair to Chichi and Gohan, but you don't need to bring me back to life. Gohan's already a lot more reliable than I am.
Gohan: T- that's not true, Father!
Goku: There you have it. Bye, now. Once you all die, I'll see you again!
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:52 pm

EmmaWinters wrote: Goku: ...And so, maybe it ain't fair to Chichi and Gohan, but you don't need to bring me back to life. Gohan's already a lot more reliable than I am.
I find that quote hilarious. Not only because of how much Gohan slacked off during a span of 7 years and continues to do so, but because a few hours prior to Goku saying that, Gohan was literally going to let Cell blow up the Earth because "there was no point anymore" until Goku intervened. Soooo ironic. lol.

But yeah, I do wish Gohan was developed into a different sort of character after that saga. I'm sure the majority of fans do. But it is what it is.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:12 pm

He is in everything other then fighting.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BearFrog

Post by BearFrog » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Goku says a lot of things. He also said he'd better stay dead because his presence on Earth attracts villains... Guess he changed his mind.
Goku's a pretty rad guy, doing everything he can to avoid his friends and family. Goku's an introvert pretending to be an extrovert.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:37 pm

How many "I am displeased with how they are currently handling Gohan" threads do we really need? Can we make a sticky for it or something?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:38 pm

I'm curious as to how Gohan is now a "coward."
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Zephyr wrote:How many "I am displeased with how they are currently handling Gohan" threads do we really need? Can we make a sticky for it or something?
I'm pretty sick of it too, honestly. Though I see it more on reddit than on here.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I'm curious as to how Gohan is now a "coward."
Yeah, he's not a coward. He didn't even hesitate to join the fight.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:13 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Goku says a lot of things. He also said he'd better stay dead because his presence on Earth attracts villains... Guess he changed his mind.
To be fair, he was kinda right. 90% of the conflicts in Dragon Ball are rooted in his actions or him just being alive.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:19 pm

But Gohan is a better and more reliable man than Goku, Gohan actually puts emphasis on his family he has hardly been seen in Super without Videl by his side and he is studying so he can presumably work and provide for his family, instead of what Goku did which was let his family mooch of Bulma/Father-in-law and when he does do a proper job like farming he gets his son to do it and irresponsibly make him drive a tractor while he trains. Fair play to Gohan for not being a numskull who's only skill is fighting.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:22 pm

Only scene I can recall that shows this is when Beerus calls Oolong forward. Gohan is one of the people who back away from him.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:28 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
EmmaWinters wrote: Goku: ...And so, maybe it ain't fair to Chichi and Gohan, but you don't need to bring me back to life. Gohan's already a lot more reliable than I am.
I find that quote hilarious. Not only because of how much Gohan slacked off during a span of 7 years and continues to do so, but because a few hours prior to Goku saying that, Gohan was literally going to let Cell blow up the Earth because "there was no point anymore" until Goku intervened. Soooo ironic. lol.

But yeah, I do wish Gohan was developed into a different sort of character after that saga. I'm sure the majority of fans do. But it is what it is.
Yeah I pretty much am laughing at the line now too. Especially when he nearly gave up, dicked around since his emotions were out of control, refused to fight despite knowing the consequence, and later on basically being completely unreliable. When Goku said that, I doubt he meant in the sense of getting a job and supporting Chi Chi. Pretty sure he meant keeping the peace from possible future world threats. Hell he has to count on Goku to keep his family safe, cause he sure as hell cares enough to protect his family, but not ensure their safety or future. Hell not even his own future.

But again...the stat trinity of importance reigns supreme.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Only scene I can recall that shows this is when Beerus calls Oolong forward. Gohan is one of the people who back away from him.
I don't think that was that bad. Hell in FNF, when Beerus talks about protecting Bulma if she stays close, Piccolo is one of the people to slide in close as part of that gag. I think that was just part of a joke.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:40 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Close, but it's when he was so willing to make Oolong fight his battle instead of giving a second shot at taking Beerus down.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:20 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Close, but it's when he was so willing to make Oolong fight his battle instead of giving a second shot at taking Beerus down.
Well..if you get one shotted because he simply turned Boo around (like Boo is kryptonite) then he shouldn't fight.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
To be fair, he was kinda right. 90% of the conflicts in Dragon Ball are rooted in his actions or him just being alive.
He was totally right actually, my point was that it's illogical of him to say that and then to still return to Earth at the end of the Buu Saga, which eventually attracted Beerus and the resurrected Frieza.
Last edited by Marco Polo on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
He was totally right actually, my point was that it's illogical of him to say that and then to return to Earth at the end of the Buu Saga, which eventually attracted Beerus and the resurrected Freeza.
Not really. Beerus came for the Super Saiyan God, so he'd come to the other Saiyans anyway. And Freeza wanted revenge on both Goku and Trunks, so he'd come to Earth to find Trunks.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:58 pm

Doctor. wrote:Not really. Beerus came for the Super Saiyan God, so he'd come to the other Saiyans anyway. And Freeza wanted revenge on both Goku and Trunks, so he'd come to Earth to find Trunks.
Actually Beerus came because the Oracle Fish told him a strong opponent would show up that year. That opponent is Goku.

As for Frieza, the direct reason he went to Earth is because Sorbet told him that Goku was here (and that his power has surpassed even Majin Buu's). It's debatable whether Sorbet even knew about Trunks since no one in Frieza's Army survived the encounter with Future Trunks. It's true, however, that Frieza would still have decided to come to Earth anyway to try to find Trunks.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:35 pm

He's not a coward, he's just being left behind as a character.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)