Super Buu's voice change

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TKB21

Super Buu's voice change

Post by TKB21 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:29 am

I noticed around the time Super Buu absorbed Piccolo and Gotenks his voice went from raspy and primitive to proper english, almost reminiscent of Cell. Did they change voice actors at this time or was it a design decision being that Buu had more dialogue amongst the other characters at this point?

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Super Buu's voice change

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:34 am

It's the same voice actor for Evil Buu (in both Japanese and with Funimation) throughout all his forms. I'm fairly certain there's a change in both versions of the show to reflect his absorption of Piccolo and his brains at that point.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

TKB21

Post by TKB21 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:04 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I'm fairly certain there's a change in both versions of the show to reflect his absorption of Piccolo and his brains at that point.
I had a hunch that may have been the reason. He'd be more articulate after absorbing someone like Piccolo. It's just strange how he adopts such a proper accent after the fact.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:56 pm

Gohan even makes a point of noting how much more fluently he talks after absorbing Piccolo.

That said, even though his pattern changes, he doesn't really talk much like Piccolo. Piccolo may be smart and all, but he's never especially articulate or prone to fancy speeches. In Japanese he uses the same standard "informal male" speech pattern that Vegeta, Yamcha, etc all use. Viz does give him that weird Renaissance Fair speaking style for their English translation, but I don't think they follow through and have Boo take up talking like that after he absorbs Piccolo.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Scarlet Spider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scarlet Spider » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:21 pm

Speaking of change, in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, when Super Buu told Gotenks to punch him in the face his eye color changed from white to red/black. What was up with that?

TKB21

Post by TKB21 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:48 am

Herms wrote:Gohan even makes a point of noting how much more fluently he talks after absorbing Piccolo.

That said, even though his pattern changes, he doesn't really talk much like Piccolo. Piccolo may be smart and all, but he's never especially articulate or prone to fancy speeches. In Japanese he uses the same standard "informal male" speech pattern that Vegeta, Yamcha, etc all use. Viz does give him that weird Renaissance Fair speaking style for their English translation, but I don't think they follow through and have Boo take up talking like that after he absorbs Piccolo.
I agree with your statement. It would've made more since if he picked up this sort've speech pattern if he absorbed someone like Cell.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:47 am

Scarlet Spider wrote:Speaking of change, in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, when Super Buu told Gotenks to punch him in the face his eye color changed from white to red/black. What was up with that?
Apparently the white colour in his eyes was a mistake and it's at the point you mention, that he switches permanently from white to red eyes.

TKB21

Post by TKB21 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:03 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Scarlet Spider wrote:Speaking of change, in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, when Super Buu told Gotenks to punch him in the face his eye color changed from white to red/black. What was up with that?
Apparently the white colour in his eyes was a mistake and it's at the point you mention, that he switches permanently from white to red eyes.
I read that it was changed in order to match how it's shown in a colored chapter in the manga.