Dragon Ball uncut versions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The One and Only Nam

Dragon Ball uncut versions

Post by The One and Only Nam » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi. I'm trying to collect all the tapes for the Dragon Ball series and I was wondering if the original Dragon Ball series were ever released in the edited format since I've seen numerous uncut versions. So, have there ever been any edited versions?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball uncut versions

Post by B » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:24 pm

If you're specifically talking about FUNimation's dub, there's the Cartoon Network/Toonami run with bushes and whatever painted over Goku's business, and then the first 13 episodes dubbed by Harmony Gold, but I don't think any of that made it to official home video. Well, Harmony Gold's dub was put on VHS.

(I know you're probably not talking about this, but FUNimation's current "uncut" version of Dragon Ball tones down just about every and any reference to sex or general perversion. That's scripting, of course, and the visuals are left as-is.)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

The One and Only Nam

Post by The One and Only Nam » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:43 pm

B wrote:If you're specifically talking about FUNimation's dub, there's the Cartoon Network/Toonami run with bushes and whatever painted over Goku's business, and then the first 13 episodes dubbed by Harmony Gold, but I don't think any of that made it to official home video. Well, Harmony Gold's dub was put on VHS.

(I know you're probably not talking about this, but FUNimation's current "uncut" version of Dragon Ball tones down just about every and any reference to sex or general perversion. That's scripting, of course, and the visuals are left as-is.)
I know they made it to home release since they're available on Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005 ... 730&sr=8-3

But have there been any edited versions that were released?

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:45 am

The Editted English dub of Dragon Ball is indeed available, but not the whole series. The editted VHS tapes (as well as the uncut tapes) got as far as the "ᴛiеn Shinhan Saga", not including the Funimation redub of episodes 1-13.

The 1995 dub of episodes 1-13, as well as "Curse of the Blood Rubies" are also available on VHS. They're also the only editted English Dragon Ball available on DVD, the 2 disc Saga of Goku set.

The Kidmark Tapes of the 1995 dub only have 2 episodes each, so there are 6 of them(one might have 3 episodes...), and the Funimation tapes have 3 or 4 episodes each. The VHS tape is the only was, as far as I know, that Curse of the Blood Rubies has been available in the US stand-alone. Every other release of it I can think of was bundled either with the 1995 dub or the other movies.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:48 am

mister yummy wrote:The VHS tape is the only was, as far as I know, that Curse of the Blood Rubies has been available in the US stand-alone. Every other release of it I can think of was bundled either with the 1995 dub or the other movies.
It received an individual DVD release before it started getting packaged with other movies (but it's the uncut/bilingual version of the film, as opposed to everything else being discussed in this thread).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:39 am

The One and Only Nam wrote:
B wrote:If you're specifically talking about FUNimation's dub, there's the Cartoon Network/Toonami run with bushes and whatever painted over Goku's business, and then the first 13 episodes dubbed by Harmony Gold, but I don't think any of that made it to official home video. Well, Harmony Gold's dub was put on VHS.

I know they made it to home release since they're available on Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005 ... 730&sr=8-3

But have there been any edited versions that were released?
Holy shit I click on that amazon link checked the reviews when I saw this "The original music, good voices, and a non-sucky narrator...
By Julian Grybowski on July 30, 2001" :shock:
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸